Fans of the website Corporette discussion

post today on best brain candy

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shailey (new)

Shailey | 3 comments What's your thoughts?

PictureBookPlaydate | 8 comments I thought it was a fun topic - if for no other reason than it introduced me to this group! The same topic was covered recently on Capitol Hill Style (http://www.caphillstyle.com/capitol/2...). Its always interesting to find out the books that others enjoy.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Agreed it's a great topic - especially the "brain candy" angle. I read things all the time that are never going to win Pulitzers, but they make me happy. Case in point - over the weekend I read a YA book called "Of Poseidon" and couldn't put it down. Good mermaid times.

message 4: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah For fun and biting-wit books, I highly recommend Jen Lancaster. Her first book, a memoir, is about having everything and then having nothing...and learning. She's really funny and kinda mean.

message 5: by Fiona (new)

Fiona C | 1 comments I just read a great one- The Cranes Dance by Meg Howrey. A ballet book for grown ups, intense at times, but really sarcastic and funny.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen (gaylejk) | 1 comments I've given in to the hype and started reading the Fifty Shades books... definitely (hot) brain candy.

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo Oehrlein Thanks for the rec of The Cranes Dance. That looks like one I'd enjoy.

I'll admit to reading The Fifty Shades books. :-)

I read lots of YA, so my recommendations of things I've recently read include the "Study" books by Maria Snyder (beginning with Poison Study).

I love Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore. There are small parts that might make more sense if you've already read Graceling and Fire (also by her).

There's a new book out in the Kane Chronicles series by Rick Riordan -- The Serpent's Shadow.

Let's Pretend this Never Happened by Jenny Lawson is funny and mostly true, although I think I'd already read the best parts on her website. The chapter about her time in HR is hilarious. (This is definitely NOT YA.)

message 8: by Lana (new)

Lana Del Slay | 1 comments I wouldn't necessarily label the Study books YA--they were shelved with the adult SF/F last I saw them on shelves!

I'm rediscovering the merits of Regency romances in general. In the right hands, they're light and lovely.