Emily Books discussion

Emily Books recommendations?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 14 comments Mod
We're looking for new books to feature ... always. Right now we can't sell books that are published by the "big 6" publishers because we don't offer DRM (a thin veneer of piracy protection) that meets their standards. But we hope this will change, so feel free to suggest any book. Bonus points, though, if the book is out of print or only available from an independent publisher (like Melville House, OR, Tin House, Coach House, Coffee House ... any House, basically).

message 2: by Edan (new)

Edan | 2 comments My friend Madeline McDonnell published a 3-story collection from Narrow Books called There's Something Inside, It Wants to Get out. It's wonderful!

message 3: by Edan (new)

Edan | 2 comments Uh, not Narrow Books...but Rescue Press.

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 2 comments Hey, I was going to recommend McDonnell's book, too. Rescue Press did a nice job with the paperback but to my knowledge, it's not available at all as an ebook.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 14 comments Mod
Ooh interesting ... I'll get it!

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 14 comments Mod
What books would you guys recommend if we could do ANY book, not just small press books? (just curious)

message 7: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (ceprice) I loved Kate Atkinson's "Behind the Scenes at the Museum" and would like I read more but I think she's on Picador which I believe is a subsidiary of Macmillan or something

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 14 comments Mod
Charlotte, I loved that book too! I think it is a little too not-unknown for us, but maybe people don't know about that book. It's really different from her other books.

message 9: by Ami (new)

Ami (amiwithani) | 1 comments Two suggestions! The Listeners, which is from Tin House, and weird and fantastic.

Also Sheila Heti's How Should a Person Be? (Henry Holt, later this month) is basically tailor-made for this book club--I'd recommend everyone read it even if Emily Books doesn't put it out. Might be worth a try, since Holt is part of Macmillan, which owns Tor, who just went DRM free.

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily | 14 comments Mod
Ami, I couldn't get into The Listeners. I really wanted to, but it just didn't connect. I hate to be this picky person but something about that book just didn't grab me. :(

Re: How Should ... I have thought about it a lot. I like Sheila's work. That book has so much buzz and fanfare around it, though (my god! Lena Dunham tweeted about it!) and we like to think we are more champions of underdogs, rather than bandwagon-jumpers. I know this is probably a RIDICULOUS way to feel. But we only get to promote one book a month, and I'd rather give the slot to something that will be genuinely new to our readers, not something they will doubtless hear about from a lot of other people.

All that being said, I haven't made up my mind about it yet. Welcome to my totally transparent decision-making process.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily | 14 comments Mod
oops I just realized i should have been hitting "reply." it's like I have never internetted before or something

message 12: by Elanor (new)

Elanor | 4 comments It's very known, but still Wetlands by Charlotte Roche is a book I think about a lot. I see it on my bookshelf sometimes and think, 'oh Helen, I like you so much'.

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily | 14 comments Mod
I have not read either of those. I've meant to read Wetlands for a long time ... Wetlands definitely seems like an Emily Book. Elanor, I think you will love Maidenhead by Tamara Faith Berger incidentally. It will be (fingers crossed) our September pick.

message 14: by Elanor (new)

Elanor | 4 comments Just read Sheila Heti's review of Maidenhead, so now my fingers are crossed also.

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily | 14 comments Mod
omg MAIDENHEAD, that book is CRAZY

message 16: by Mitchell (new)

Mitchell | 1 comments You have to do Orange Eat Creeps. It's a small press.

message 17: by Elanor (new)

Elanor | 4 comments By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept? (I haven't read it, but it *seems* right. I have been looking for it in ebook format without success)

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily | 14 comments Mod
Elanor, I just bought it.

message 19: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 2 comments Mod
Elanor wrote: "By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept? (I haven't read it, but it *seems* right. I have been looking for it in ebook format without success)"
Ooooh my favorite writing school professor loves that book.

message 20: by Elanor (new)

Elanor | 4 comments Emily wrote: "omg MAIDENHEAD, that book is CRAZY"

That book is crazy! (I still have this allegiance to Wetlands over it though? Maidenhead has GAYL and a structural weirdness that Wetlands doesn't match, but I still feel like Wetlands is CRAZIER)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Can you get permission to do any of the semiotext(e) native agent books as ebooks? I'd like to read Shulamith Firestone's second book, Airless Spaces.

message 22: by Emily (new)

Emily | 14 comments Mod
Maggie wrote: "Can you get permission to do any of the semiotext(e) native agent books as ebooks? I'd like to read Shulamith Firestone's second book, Airless Spaces." Sorry to take so long to reply. We are working on this. There is some philosophical opposition to the idea of ebooks there.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

philosophical opposition to ebooks? hmm. I suppose you must convince them you can hate capitalism and love ebooks.

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily | 14 comments Mod
Maggie wrote: "philosophical opposition to ebooks? hmm. I suppose you must convince them you can hate capitalism and love ebooks." heh. well we sure do.