Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

True Blood > Season 5/Episode 1: Turn! Turn! Turn!

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 471 comments Mod
"Sunday night's season five premiere was action-packed from start to finish! Cleaning up the cliffhangers from last season while creating new ones leading to the next episode. As usual, most of the episode found Sookie either almost in trouble, definitely in trouble or awaiting trouble coming her way."

Let's dish gang!

What'd you think?

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Steve Newlin. Seriously! And Tara! WTF! It was a crazy episode and I think it's safe to say that the HBO series is completely different (story wise) from the books.

message 3: by Mich (new)

Mich Yes- safe to say indeed. But I like that they are different. This way we will never know what is going to happen. OMG. I love Steve Newlin. "...I am proud to say I am a Gay, Vampire, America.." omg- did NOT see that coming...lol

AND-INSANE TARA. I kind of wish she just stayed dead.lol
The best part of that whole scenario was that Pam had to put on that Wallmart sweat suit.

message 4: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) Tara is going to be pissed off when she finds out she is a vampire.

The funeral ceremony for Marcus was gross. I don't know what is up with Jessica. She seems lost to me especially with her relationship was Jason. Steve Newlin as a vampire is just ironic. "Don't worry Jason, I won't glamor you." Yeah right.

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Mich, you're right. I need to accept and enjoy the difference. I just can't help but picture the HBO characters when I read the books!

Tara is going to be SO pissed! It should make for some very interesting upcoming episodes. I think this season is going to be one of the best!

message 6: by Mich (new)

Mich I definitely picture the HBO actors when I read the books. Once Alexander Skarsgard got in my head it was hard to get him out...
I think Tara looks totally evil- Like she was brought over "wrong." Kind of like the way Bubba (...elvis)in the books was totally brought over wrong and was a semi-screwed up vmapire.
Can not wait to see Chris Meloni!

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Seeing Chris Meloni vamping it up is going to be wild!
And yes, Tara totally looked evil! I'm stoked for next week.

message 8: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 11 comments I wish Tara had died.

So in the books, is Nora Erics sister as in blood or Godric turned both of them?

I loved the lines ” We fight like siblings and fuck like champions”.

And

” Don't growl at me”.

Pam was hilarious per usual.

Jessica is young. She is just having fun and she is really living as a vampire. With Hoyt she was trying to be a person. Now she is just living life as a young vampire. Sex, partying, drinking...you know.

message 9: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) You don't have to be a vampire to sex, partying, drinking, you know. :) Anyways, who is Chris Meloni and what character?

I don't think Nora is in the books and I don't think she is his blood relative. I think Godric turned both of them.

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Yeah, Nora is a new character and they're only "siblings" by their maker Godric.
Chris Meloni's character remains to be seen. Seems like a vamp governmental gig though. He's the dude from Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. He's perfect for True Blood considering all the horrific shiz I saw him deal with on L&O: SVU. And he's nice to look at! According to IMDB, he'll be on for at least 4 episodes.

message 11: by Mich (new)

Mich In the books, Godric is not Eric's maker. It is a vampire named Appius Livius Ocella (who gets killed in the book)... Norah is not in the books at all.
In the show it seems Godric created both Eric and Nora, but since she is not in the books, I don't really know too much about her. (i miss Godric btw, i loved his character in the show)
I am so EXTREMELY stoked about Chris being in TB. Again, his character and this whole "vampire authority" don't really exist in the books, but I like this storyline, so I'm interested in seeing more about it. (unfortunately without Nann...:)

message 12: by Zombette (new)

Zombette | 11 comments I know that you don't have to be a camp for that. Haha

I was saying she is acting out her "college" life while getting used to her vampire life too. . So extra, extra partying.

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 19 comments awesome!!!

message 14: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) Mich, I loved Godric. I little minor vamp who had a small paragragh in the first book went to a major character. I never liked Appius. He was extreme.

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly I had to pick my chin up off the floor after this first episode plus the preview of the rest of the season. Forget the books, they have come up with a completely new story! Kind of exciting, as the past two books have been so-so.

I thought the same thing as half of you - Tara is going to be pissed that they turned her. I think the Norah character helped us to let go of the Eric/Sookie notion, as disappointing as that is. (hey-at least we still get to see him naked! haha) I think I'm not going to like the Terry/Old Army Buddy storyline...but I am definitely intrigued by the rest.

Jessica...she is so totally Jason's karma - even though she brought it when she saved him from *cough gay-vampire-Steve-Newlin - I loved that speech.

And Pam in a yellow Walmart sweatsuit...priceless. I just can't figure how Sookie is going to hold up her end of the bargain while Eric and Bill are MIA.

Can't wait until Sunday!!

message 16: by Mich (new)

Mich Kimberly- You said it! I am actually least interested in Sookie's story. (especially now that it doesn't seem to contain Bill or MY Eric)
I hate to say it, but she was a bit annoying in that first episode!!
I CAN not wait to see how PISSED Russel Edgington is going to be!! Every time I see the preview of him tearing people apart I crack up. Love. Can't wait for SUNDAY also!!

message 17: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) I don't think Norah and Eric are going to have much of a relationship. With Eric and Bill gone, maybe Sookie will be open to a new romance with someone else. It could happen.

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Sookie and Alcide! Just a little! Please HBO!
And we better get some Quinn action. Yeah I know...I bring that up in every single thread!

message 19: by Jolie (new)

Jolie | 30 comments I finally was able to watch the premiere last night and - WOW! I loved it!! I had a feeling Tara was going to be turned but I did not expect it to be Pam - I loved her in the tacky yellow sweatsuit and I thougt it was perfect that she was the one to do it since she and Tara hate each other so much (should be very interesting!)....
I'm with Mich - the Sookie storyline was just kind of blah. Does anyone have any idea where Jesus's body is??? It was a bit odd to see Eric with his "sister" but I'm not complaining:)
I even find myself enjoying the Bill moments - I like him with a more aggressive personality.
Loving the Steve Newlin storyline - hilarious!
Poor Jason:(
Funeral for Marcus - ugh!
Ahhhhh......did I mention Eric? Yum!

message 20: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) I like to see Quinn too but who knows. I am not holding my breath on that one.

message 21: by Mich (new)

Mich Jolie-I was wondering if you watched the first episode!
Ok, So I loved Quinn in the books. He was kinda in and out of them fairly quick, but I am with Nicole. I want a Quinn storyline, and I want it now. If I can't get a Sookie and Quinn storyline, I will take Sookie and Alcide. (more ALCIDE PLEASEEE)
**They seem like they are actually giving Bill a personality!? WHAT? I love it also, he was actually "humorous." It's nice to see another Bill emotion, besides..well...Brooding. lol
oh yea, Eric can have sex with his sister. I just don't care, as long as I get to see those abs. ha
Can't wait for tomorrow!

message 22: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 19 comments Can't wait for epsiode 2 tomorrow night! I agree if I can't get any Quinn and Sookie, I want more Alcide air time! Or either way more Alcide!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Pam was the best part of the episode.

Not crazy about the Steve/Jason thing but it IS funny.

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 19 comments Loved Jessica protecting Jason! I also liked the Pam background and meeting Eric when she was a madam, I do like learning her backstory in general.

message 25: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 7 comments Did they ever show who turned Steve Newlin? I didn't know if it was just me forgetting if they never showed it.

message 26: by Nicole (new)

I don't know if they showed it. Can't remember! But he said it was punishment didn't he?

message 27: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) yeah and it was a female vampire because I remember he said she turned him.

message 28: by Mich (new)

Mich I don't remember Steve talking about who turned him at all...Except when Roman was interrogating him about becoming the new "Nann" (i think that was the last episode, right?)
I am sure we will find out soon tho...

message 29: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 7 comments Okay thanks all! I kept thinking I missed something and it was making me nuts!

message 30: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly That might be key - who turned Steve Newlin. Maybe it was Nan?

message 31: by Mich (new)

Mich Ha, that would be hilarious. I would love to see the flashback of frigid Nan turning Steve. Classic.

message 32: by Adria (new)

Adria | 80 comments I figured that Tara would be turned into a vampire because if they wanted to keep her alive that was the only way too because she got shot in the face. It doesn't seem that Pam is going to make a very loving maker either.