Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Urban Fantasy > What is your favorite archetype combination?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Craft (vigroco) | 14 comments Urban fantasy pulls from so many archetypes (angels, vampires, demons, pixies) that everyone can get their own special blend of story. What creature pairings or combinations do you find the most fascinating?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 461 comments I love werewolves and faeries the most.

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel (soireb) | 61 comments I love it when they combined them all together:

witches, vamps, weres (any type of), fairies, angels, demons, etc.

message 4: by A.O. (new)

A.O. Peart (aopeart) | 13 comments weres, demons, some vampires :-)

message 5: by A.O. (new)

A.O. Peart (aopeart) | 13 comments Oh, and a really clever witches!

message 6: by ~Thena~ (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 63 comments I'm good with just about anything, but I don't do zombies. lol

message 7: by Wan (last edited Jun 19, 2012 06:03AM) (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 195 comments Me too, Nadine. I can take book about zombies but can't wrap my head around zombies romance. lol.

I love anything and everything Mythology. So pretty much anything goes. That's why I love Gena Showalter's books. She always mixes it up, vampires, shifters, nymphs, psychics, aliens, etc. This one series of her has pretty much everything.

Heart of the Dragon (Atlantis, #1) by Gena Showalter Jewel of Atlantis (Atlantis, #2) by Gena Showalter The Nymph King (Atlantis, #3) by Gena Showalter The Vampire's Bride (Atlantis, #4) by Gena Showalter The Amazon's Curse (Atlantis, #5) by Gena Showalter

message 8: by C.C. (new)

C.C. | 219 comments I love angels and demons; vampires and demons/angels; witches and demons/vampires

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleyjeffery) | 36 comments Wan ~DragonsWan~ wrote: "I love anything and everything Mythology. So pretty much anything goes. That's why I love Gena Sho..."

I agree, anything with mythology intertwined is awesome. I also enjoy things that haven't been done before, or a new twist on an old favorite, like Stacia Kane's Downside Series.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (ndayeni) | 51 comments I guess I'd say vampires and witches. I like mythology stuff too, and some fae stories. Never been that big on weres/shifters, and wish authors would stop insisting on including werewolves or other shifters in my vampire books :p

message 11: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere Honestly,
Normally, I like books just on vampires, r just on werewolves/shifters. I guess Mercy Thompson had a good mix of vamps, shifters and fae.
So some small combination of vamps & weres are my preference.

for some reason, I don't enjoy witches. I am undecided on dragons

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason Craft (vigroco) | 14 comments What about dragons with lasers strapped to their wings?

message 13: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere Jason wrote: "What about dragons with lasers strapped to their wings?"

why do they need lasers when they have fire?

Oh, I am on the fence about angels as well. The only angels that I have enjoyed are the Guild Hunters by Nalini Singh.

I forgot to add that I like Demons & Vamps (Demonica Series).

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason Craft (vigroco) | 14 comments why do they need lasers when they have fire?

For combat at extreme range. Plus, a dragon with lasers and fire is better than one with only fire.

message 15: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere ummm, yeah, okay. well, glad you explained that.

is there a chance that you may be this dragon with enhanced weapon?

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason Craft (vigroco) | 14 comments Nope, just thought it was an awesome idea.

message 17: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Sep 13, 2012 10:10AM) (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere Jason wrote: "What about dragons with lasers strapped to their wings?"

Won't the lasers shot erratically since the dragon's wings flap up and down? they can't lock into a target and maintain accuracy. Awesome...not so much.
JMO.

message 18: by Jason (new)

Jason Craft (vigroco) | 14 comments I think you're right, it would be better to strap it to the head.

message 19: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere LOL, their heads bob up and down when they fly too. It won't work either, but keep trying...

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) I like vampire and demon *hunters* more than the creatures themselves. I didn't like pixies until I read Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison , lol.

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleyjeffery) | 36 comments I love jenks. I have to say that in the first book I was a little unsure of him, but by the third book I was a Pixie loving fool!!

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Ashley wrote: "I love jenks. I have to say that in the first book I was a little unsure of him, but by the third book I was a Pixie loving fool!!"

I've only read the first one, and I love him (and his wife). I'm glad he sticks around for the next few books :D

message 23: by Leesa (new)

Leesa (leesalogic) I like witches, faeries, hunters/assassins the most.

I used to love vampires, but I'm sick of all the vampire-centric books. They are OK as secondary characters, like with Briggs and Butcher, but otherwise, Twilight ruined vampires for me.

I also don't really like zombie stories. Though I'm going to give Mira Grant a try.

message 24: by Katelynn (new)

Katelynn | 13 comments I like wherewolves probably, although I like anything unique, I C.E. murphy has a gargoyle, that was nifty, and I like the fey but it depends on how they are portrayed, the nightside has all sort of unique stuff too, witches i like, terrified of zombies...love things based off old fairy tales and mythology. the fey need to be based on mythlogy, I love War of the Oaks...

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to read some romantic comedy novels involving witches. In the spirit of Halloween and all that. Something light and fluffy, not down and dirty "I'm a bad-ass sexy witch, fear my magic raaaawr..."

I'm straying from vampires and werewolves. They seem to overdone. I'm not so interested in faeries, either. I'm very picky...

message 26: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (bloocheese) | 10 comments Definitely vampires (and hunters) are my favorite. Shapeshifters yes, especially kitsune (foxes). I think they have so many interesting powers that they are one of the best creatures for a good supernatural story.

I can do without witches/angels/demons....not my thing unless it's really good. I don't mind fairies though.

message 27: by Anna (new)

Anna Zaires | 8 comments I like anything as long as it has a good explanation / a carefully crafted world built around it. Vampires are always sexy, and they're now so mainstream, it's almost easy to believe they exist! But it's cool if there's an explanation for what the paranormal creatures are and where they come from, and that explanation actually makes sense. Not a big werewolf fan, though.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I won't read stuff with angels in them like that. I do love demon stuff, vampires, any supernatural creature really. I don't care much for fairies and the fae anymore because in all the series I read with them they're pretty twisted and cruel

message 29: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments I love shifters of any kind (love the bear shifters ala Laurenston and Bell). Vampires are okay. Like Erin, the ones I'm really not fond of are the fae since the characters often tend toward the twisted and cruel in search of power of one kind or another. I'm not fond of dark, grim plots in general no matter what type of paranormal character is featured.

message 30: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (ladyfalcon) | 52 comments archetypes? Chosen one + paranormal creatures = very fun

Paganalexandria  | 238 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I love werewolves and faeries the most."

Me too. Vamps used to be on the list but it's a little over done. The only Vamp books that get my attention are series already on my radar.

message 32: by Velveteen (new)

Velveteen Rabbit (balthiersrabbit) I love vampire and faeries

message 33: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Faulkner | 9 comments I love kick-a women who can hold their own against most odds, and pair up with a supernatural dude of the Were, Immortal, Fey species.
Morgan

message 34: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 21 comments I like shifters (predatory canine or feline), angels if done well (Nalini Singh for example), demons and witches. Haven't really read that much about faeries yet, but I think they could be interesting.

What I like most in pairings is a kind of enemies-attract thing - angel+demon, werewolf+vampire etc. It makes for some interesting tension.

message 35: by Jacquel (new)

Jacquel (clairevioletthorpe) | 127 comments Vampires and werewolves, plus some angels and fairies

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I always tend to love those books that has the most creatures the most! Vampires, shifters, faeries, witches and others that I don't really expect:) I always love finding new fascinating creatures.

message 37: by Geli (new)

Geli (cherrygeli) | 26 comments I prefer witches first of then of course vampires and weres. With the occasional demon or two. But for reason I just can't seem to get into the whole faerie and angel thing. I guess that's a little too far fetched for me lol

message 38: by Megan (new)

Megan (thebookhunter) | 54 comments Shifters are my fav. I have to be in the mood to read vamps. It is nice to see a mix of all different creatures (Angela Knights Mageverse does this well I think) but generally I don't like fairies of any kind...really any fae element. But I love me some shifters!

message 39: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 0 comments I love shifters, specifically werewolves, but love the combination of shifters, vampires, and maybe even fairies thrown in.

message 40: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleyjeffery) | 36 comments I do like shifters and fae, but anything with ghosts is even better. Shifters/ghosts, fae/ghosts, witches/ghosts. Sadly I don't see alot of anything except witches with ghosts. Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane to be specfic. I wish there were more like it.

message 41: by Renee (new)

Renee (thebookroyal) I like them all, but my main faves are witches, vamps, demons, and angels.

though there are lots of talk about how certain archetypes should be portrayed/written...

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley M. (AshleyMSwisher) | 4 comments I like hybrids. Anything half human is pretty interesting! It makes room for a whole new set of "rules" around the character.

message 43: by Erin (new)

Erin Latimer I love new and interesting spins on witches, mythology, ghosts. New and interesting monsters: The Unnaturalists (The Unnaturalists, #1) by Tiffany Trent

I used to LOVE vampires, and deep down I always will, but at the moment I'm sick to death of them. I love YA paranormal/fantasy books and read them pretty much back to back, but occasionally I find myself really annoyed at the repeating theme of "supernatural bad boy meets weak, innocent girl".

Anyone know of "supernatural bad girl meets weak innocent boy" stories? Haha

message 44: by Ashley (new)

Ashley M. (AshleyMSwisher) | 4 comments lol that would be interesting Erin!

message 45: by Megan (last edited Jan 15, 2013 04:44PM) (new)

Megan (thebookhunter) | 54 comments Erin wrote: "I love new and interesting spins on witches, mythology, ghosts. New and interesting monsters: The Unnaturalists (The Unnaturalists, #1) by Tiffany Trent

I used to LOVE vampires, and deep down I always will, but at th..."

There was something I read about a female succubus who got off on the sexual feelings of the crowded club where she worked and she feel for a human. I can't remember the series tho...Cynthia Eden I believe. Another book in the seires was a female phycyatrist who worked with the 'other' helping them work through their issues. The succubus was introduced there. A succubus that didn't want to just have sex, a vamp afraid of blood, ect where the probs she worked with. It was a good series. Although the guy wasn't weak or innocent, but I think they were usually human and the females 'other'.

message 46: by Jacqueline (last edited Jan 15, 2013 05:10PM) (new)

Jacqueline Rhoades (jackierhoades) | 34 comments Any of Nalini Singh's angels or vamps with their kickass women and move over Kate Daniels, Cullen can warm my tootsies any night he chooses.(and anything else he chooses!)

message 47: by Erin (new)

Erin Latimer Megan wrote: "Erin wrote: "I love new and interesting spins on witches, mythology, ghosts. New and interesting monsters: The Unnaturalists (The Unnaturalists, #1) by Tiffany Trent

I used to LOVE vampires, and deep down I always wi..."

Oh! That sounds really good! I'll have to look into that. Have you seen the TV show Lost Girl. I saw a few episodes of the first season and fell in love, so sad I don't have cable. Anyway, she's a succubus who fights demons and stuff I think.

message 48: by Megan (new)

Megan (thebookhunter) | 54 comments Erin wrote: "Megan wrote: "Erin wrote: "I love new and interesting spins on witches, mythology, ghosts. New and interesting monsters: The Unnaturalists (The Unnaturalists, #1) by Tiffany Trent

I used to LOVE vampires, and deep do..."

Ah found it, it's Cynthia Eden Hotter After Midnight (Midnight, #1) by Cynthia Eden Midnight Sins (Midnight, #2) by Cynthia Eden Midnight's Master (Midnight, #3) by Cynthia Eden are the three books. They are good. I like CE a lot. She does a lot about shifters and other in her books.

message 49: by Georgiana (new)

Georgiana Derwent (georgianaderwent) | 18 comments It's got to be vampires for me (there's a reason I write vampire novels, after all), though faeries/elves are a close second. Witches are all right, though unless it's a really amazing book, werewolves and angels generally don't do it for me.

More generally, I tend to like series that pick one type of supernatural creature and writes about them really well, rather than throwing in a whole bunch of different ones half-heartedly. With the True Blood series for example, I thought it was much better in the early books when it was just vampires and shapeshifters. Later, when there are witches and fairies and all sorts of things, I found it harder to suspend my disbelief.

I also love it if there's something totally different, like the creatures from Norse Legends in the Forbidden Game series or the alchemists in the Iron Witch.

message 50: by Scribble (new)

Scribble De Dibble (Scribbledoutname) | 4 comments Witches combined with pretty much anything else as long as they're dangerous :)

« previous 1