Jane Austen discussion

General Discussion > Jane's World....A Modern Visit

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Well I live In Reading, quite near bath, and I am also visiting the JA centre soon!!
Well there are many attractions there. There are lots of connections to the Romans and the Spas which may be of interest.
Bath is also very pretty IMO :)
Sorry I can't be of more help. Do you live in England?? Most people I speak to are from America!! :)

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Nice to know someone else from England!!
Yes I think it will be worth going. :) there is a permanent exhibition there which you can't see online for a start. And also it is nice as A lot of Northanger Abbey and Persuasion were set in bath so it is nice to visit it :)

message 3: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 301 comments I'd love to go to Bath, especially when the Jane Austen Festival is on! I live in England too but over on the South East so it's not as easy to get over there.

message 4: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments You can I think!! And I would love photos!! Especially if you see any of those men ;)

message 5: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I hope you enjoy it!! Can't wait to go myself and spend lots in the shop ;)

message 6: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I hope to take part one day!! And go to the ball etc!! One day....

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Yes it most certainly is!!
And I want to go there.
I have been to Chatworth (Pemberley 05) and Hadden Hall (Crown inn, where Lizzie receives letter about Lydia 05)
Would like to see more though! :)

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Yes haha. With the letter from Jane about Lydia. I would like to see those to. :)

message 9: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Oh!! To go and live there!!
And when it was raining, I would go out for a long walk, provided a Colonel was the one the save me ;)

message 10: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Oh yes. Whether badly sprained, or even just grazed ;), he must carry you home ;) !!

message 11: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Oh naturally naturally. Or fainting counts too! If you can't fall, faint!!
When on doubt, faint :)

message 12: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments ;) that is true. Maybe restrict the fainting to indoors ;)

message 13: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Nice touch!!! That makes it even more romantic!!
Or If he was passing on his horse... In the rain... Then he sees me looking un steady and he leaps off his horse to save me and catches me just in time ;) perfect ;)

message 14: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Yes!!! And we are sorted ;) :D or if there is no Colonel, a captain or even just a gentleman :)

message 15: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments yes!! they send a little leaflet with it! i had one of those when i ordered stuff from there!! D:D :D

message 16: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Yes I do!! I get some great emails!! :D

message 17: by G (new)

G Hodges (glh1) | 8 comments I haven't been to Bath in years, but when I did go (I am a walker, or was) we found a nice little cheese shop, Paxton and Whitfield near the river Avon, got some cheese, bread and fruit and had a lunch near the river. Very sweet and something your mother might like to do. There is also the famous costume museum which is such good fun as well as the antiques shops area which I remember as being up some very long hill. I am sure you'll have a fabulous time. But remember, swooning no longer has the charm it once did! I hope you'll report back as I am from the US and love hearing about all things JA and Regency.

message 18: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments As will I when I go. And when I go to Chawton to her little cottage and the museum there :)

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 79 comments I have Bath on my list for when I make my pilgrimage to England. I think my trip is going to need to be about a month long for everything that I want to do. I want to do all the JA sites along with some of the Bronte locations. Better start saving now.

message 20: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Love to meet some of the people I am talking to on here some day...
There are some great place to visit here!! Defo start saving!!

message 21: by Amina (last edited Jul 20, 2012 10:19AM) (new)

Amina Alijagic | 5 comments Lucky you!! I'd like to visit JA places too, but not in the near future I'm afraid. I'm not even near England, but in Bosnia, on Balkan, so it's not going to happen so soon... I understand how you feel when it comes to your mother, I have friends and even my mother who are like that too, and my only solution was to talk about JA's books in a way that would be interesting to them, mentioning parts that they would be interested in....try that on your way to the Bath ;)) enjoy :D

message 22: by G (new)

G Hodges (glh1) | 8 comments Have her watch Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. She'll become a fan immediately!

message 23: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Haha!! ;)

message 24: by Amina (new)

Amina Alijagic | 5 comments Hahaha!! :D, well I don't know exactly...Find something or someone she can relate to, I mean, you know her, if not sewing :P try with balls, matchmaking, gossiping, or something like that, you know what would be interesting to her ;)) ... Or you can definitely, as G suggested, have her watch JA movies and you maybe even get a whole vacation for JA things :PP

message 25: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments No, of course not ;)

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 79 comments I finally got this version of P&P. Still have yet to watch it, but since it is so long, may need to break it into 2 sessions.

message 27: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments We should discuss it Stephanie!! I have literally just watched half of that series, (so up to proposal 1) the other the tomorrow (so no wet shirt yet ;) )