Love Inspired Historicals discussion

What Family Heirloom Do You Treasure?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
What's your most treasured piece of family memorabilia? How old is it?

I must say I have a few things. I have a pottery pickle crock that belonged to my mother's mother. I display it on my kitchen counter and store salty snacks in it. I also have a red riding hood cookie jar from my late Aunt DeeDee.

What about you?

message 2: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Hi Lyn, I too have a large crock that Mom used to make pickles in-I display Eucaliptus flowers in it and sits beside grandfather clock..I also have her collection of salt&pepper sets which fills completely a small curio cabinet.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 518 comments I have a very old manger scene that belonged to my grandmother. I love to enjoy it at Christmas.

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela Holland (bookaunt) I have a few things I treasure. From great grandma - a sewing kit and salt and pepper shakers, from great grandpa - first edition Alice in Wonderland, and Ideal book by Abraham Lincoln and a couple other books including his Bible and from my mom her china.

My brother gets great grandmas cedar chest and my sister gets her silver set.

We never got to meet these grandparents as they had passed when my mom was little.

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Eberly (kathyeberly) | 138 comments My favorite family heirloom is a picture that hung in my grandparents' home for many years. It's a picture of Jesus in the sky and a home with a sod roof. The picture reads God bless our home. It was my great great aunt and uncle's 50th anniversary present. It's probably 80 years or older.

message 6: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments not really sure. We do have a box that belonged to someone in dads family from the late 1800's but done know any of the story.
I have the bible mum gave dad as an engagement present 66 years ago.
Oh we have the first little table (use it for the phone table its the size of a side table) that dad made in the early 1920's when he was an apprentices cabinet maker. Not sure we have much older than that.

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
I have a cookie jar, too, Lyn! It's an owl one that belonged to my grandparents. After my grandfather retired, he did all the cooking, so I remember it being filled with molasses cookies and date-filled cookies. Whenever I look at it, I think of him.

Since I'm the family genealogist, I have most of the old family photos and letters. I've scanned most of the photos and burned them to CDs for my cousins.

Love the sound of that bless our home picture, Kathy!

message 8: by Lyn (last edited Jun 12, 2012 09:00AM) (new)

Wonderful! I was reminded that I too have salt and pepper shakers that were my mom's.

Some of them are special to me because I used to buy them when I was vacation to give her. I have the ones I bought in London, on my honeymoon in AZ, etc, etc.

message 9: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Shackelford (sherrishackelford) | 169 comments We have a china cabinet with a dragon carving. Looking at the piece instantly brings back memories of my grandmother, and growing up.

message 10: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments Blue glass chickens! They belonged to my grandmother, who probably bought them in the 1930s. She also left me her teacup collection. There's nothing expensive or rare, just stuff she bought at the five-and-dime store, but they remind me of wonderful times.

message 11: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments Barbara wrote: "I have a very old manger scene that belonged to my grandmother. I love to enjoy it at Christmas."

Definitely a treasure! And it's something that will get passed on for generations.

message 12: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I do have some ornaments (I like the cute china things) I got rid of a lot when I moved here but I kept some that are sentimental. There are a couple that were dad's mother's and one is a cow with a cart and on it are 2 milk cans (these are quite small) and they are salt and pepper shakers. Oh we have the mantle clock that use to chime that was dad's mother's two so would be around 100 years. I need to get it fixed but I still love it even if it doesn't strike. I guess I have more than I thought I did.

message 13: by Patty (new)

Patty Hall | 211 comments Great question, Lynn!

First, I was given the family Bible (complete with tin pictures and burnt pages from our exodus out of Atlanta) by my grandparents some 12 years ago. It's been in the family since the 1820's so I feel honored that they entrusted it to me. I've looked through it several times--it's kind of fragile--and found newspaper clippings from WWII and an old insurance policy on my great grandmother plus those pictures. It's a real interesting piece.

And I have a footed cast iron frying pan my great grandmother got from her mother--they lost their house in the Civil War and used that pan out in the open to cook.

message 14: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Gibson (rhondagibson) | 201 comments I have two glass figurines an old woman and old man that belonged to my grandmother. I also have a carnival glass heart that belonged to her. From my other grandmother I have an old wagon with two horses, I think it is a toy but it doesn't look like she played with them just kept them to remind her of something, no one knows what.

message 15: by Jean (new)

Jean Gordon (goodreadscomjeancgordon) | 15 comments I have a bright yellow teapot from my mother. She received two identical ones for wedding presents (1950) and gave me one when I got married.

message 16: by Lena (new)

Lena Dooley (lenanelsondooley) | 7 comments I have a kerosene lamp that belonged to my great grandfather. When I was a child we used it in my grandfather's house. The chimney isn't original, but everything else is. When my children were small and we lived in the country and the electricity would sometimes go out, we used it for when they did homework

message 17: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylstjohn) | 222 comments I wear a gold ring that was my great-great grandmother's as a thumb ring. Also wear my dad's wedding band on my middle finger.

message 18: by MaryE (new)

MaryE Stifflemire | 499 comments I have an old cameo that was my maternal great-grandmother's. It was made by a jeweler friend of the family back in Germany around the late 19th early 20th century. Mom also gave me a gold bracelet that had a charm hanging from it that you could put a little perfume in and a porcelain heart from Italy that my mom wore a lot when she was a young lady. My baby sister got her aquamarine ring and my other sister got the crystal necklaces that had belonged to our grandmother and an aunt. I'm sure there are many other things that I have forgotten about.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments I have a cat figurine that was in my Grandmother's house and my brother has an orange candy dish. I would have loved to get her jewelery but we never found it. We think my uncle took it.

message 20: by Deborah (new)

It's so neat to hear about all the special things that have been passed down in everyone's families. That cameo sounds lovely, Mary!

message 21: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 75 comments My heirlooms aren't really heirlooms perse. I've got several quilts both my grandmothers made me. Then last month when I was at my grandfather's for some estate things (he'd passed away in February), I was able to bring home another one of Grandma's quilts. Not sure how old it is because I know it wasn't specifically made for me! Then this last weekend, my brother picked up 2 clocks, a crucifix, a Chinese house thing, dominoes and a set of cards we used to play with. He wants to pass those onto his kids. Me, I picked up the children's classics of Heidi, Black Beauty, Treasure Island, and Robinson Crusoe. Book nerd that's me!

On the other side of the family, I have a doll case/cabinet that my grandfather made me. I've also got all of my grandmother's recipes. My cousin and I both wanted the really antique marbles and Grandpa's letters to Grandma while they were dating, possibly during WWII. I think he ended up with them.

message 22: by MaryE (new)

MaryE Stifflemire | 499 comments Deborah wrote: "It's so neat to hear about all the special things that have been passed down in everyone's families. That cameo sounds lovely, Mary!"

It is very nice Deborah. The cameo is wearing a necklace made from sterling silver with a small diamond mounted as a pendant. There is a lot of silver filigree work around the oval pin. I always admired it when I was young and mom gave it to me a few years before she died. Otherwise I don't think I would have it.

message 23: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments It's been a delight to read through this thread . . . Every item mentioned tells a story :)

message 24: by Lyn (new)

Yes, Vicki, I love to hear each one because it reminds of another item I hadn't thought about. I was very close to my late stepfather. He left me his first wife's china tea cup-saucer collection, his first wife's 1939 Singer (which I've sewed on for years.) And his mother Celestia's old treadle Singer. I feel honored that he wanted me to have these things he treasured.

message 25: by Valerie (last edited Jun 14, 2012 08:19AM) (new)

Valerie Hansen (goodreadscomvalerie_hansen) | 111 comments I have very little from the past. My sister got most of it and after she died, who knows. There are a few cups with gold writing on them that were my maternal grandmother's. They say things like, "Remember Me" and "Think of Me" which is appropriate. And I have one ring of my mother's but seldom wear it because I thought once I had lost it and was frantic. It had slipped off my finger in the car! Now, I put a smaller, tighter ring next to it when I do put it on.

One thing I have done is put little notes in some things I value, saying where I want them to go eventually. No, I'm not ready to meet the Lord quite yet!!!

Val

message 26: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Great question, Lyn. I've enjoyed reading the answers.
I have a long blue iron ladle with a white ceramic bowl that belonged to my father's great grandmother. The family brought it with them from Germany when they came to America in 1903. It hangs by my range top. I slso have the depression china my mom and dad had when they were first married, along with a few of their etched crystal goblets. And a mantle clock with a hunting scene in some sort of embossed, painted plaster that I remember from when I was very young. I also have an oblong cast iron griddle with a missing handle that went through a tornado with my maternal grandmother.

One thing I have that I truly treasure is a thankgiving picture my father drew as a child, and also several poems he wrote. My favorite is titled "Her blue polkadot dress." He wrote it for my mother. I never knew my dad wrote poetry until we found these things when he passed away four years ago at the age of 97. I've made copies of those for family members.

There are other things, but this is long enough. Thanks for taking me down memory lane.

message 27: by Nina (new)

Nina | 42 comments my grandmothers Tea set, it may be old and cracked, but I bet it could tell some stories. My grandmother died in 1952, and she received it as a young girl.

message 28: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Bolen | 74 comments Deborah wrote: "I have a cookie jar, too, Lyn! It's an owl one that belonged to my grandparents. After my grandfather retired, he did all the cooking, so I remember it being filled with molasses cookies and date..."

What a treasure you must be to your family, Deborah. My husband is the one scanning 40 plus years worth of photos and burning them to "themed" CDs, such as "Christmases through the Years," and every single family vacation. (Of course, he thinks he's Steven Speilberg! He's got music and Ken Burns techniques, etc.)

message 29: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Bolen | 74 comments Like Valerie, I have little from the past. My mom was one to hop on trends and get rid of the old.

My grandmother, though, gave me her silverplate flatware because I was the eldest of her five granddaughters. It was an incomplete set when I got it. It had like 3 spoons, 8 knives, 5 forks. So it was fun over the years hunting for the pieces to fill out and expand the set. I now have about 14 place settings.

It is not valuable. Through my antique business, I came into possession of a very valuable set of sterling flatware for 12 for a low price. I thought about keeping it, but decided I'd rather have the cheaper stuff because it had been my grandmother's.

message 30: by Deborah (new)

My husband is the one scanning 40 plus years worth of photos and burning them to "themed" CDs, such as "Christmases through the Years," and every single family vacation. (Of course, he thinks he's Steven Speilberg! He's got music and Ken Burns techniques, etc.)

Oh wow! I'm sure those will be treasured by your family in years to come, Cheryl.

message 31: by Deborah (new)

but decided I'd rather have the cheaper stuff because it had been my grandmother's.

That's the thing, isn't it? Many of the things that are most precious to us may not have huge value in the rest of the world's eyes. But as a reminder of those we've loved who are gone now, they're priceless.

message 32: by Lyn (new)

Now I have another question to ask you all:

Do you have any children who will treasure these items too?

I have a closet full of photographs & memorabilia from both my dh and my families. I think my kids will preserve it. What about you?

message 33: by Deborah (new)

I hope at least one of my children will, Lyn. Though I'm not sure if some of the things of sentimental value will have that for them because they don't remember the person it reminds me of.

I'm keeping a complete set of all my books for each of my children. Hopefully they or their children might want them.

message 34: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments No I am single but the small side table dad made goes to my nephew when I die and a couple other things go to my nieces.

message 35: by Lyn (new)

Nephews are good too!

message 36: by Lyn (new)

Another side of this question--

What of what you have acquired in your lifetime do you want your children or heirs to preserve?

message 37: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 75 comments Lyn wrote: "Another side of this question--

What of what you have acquired in your lifetime do you want your children or heirs to preserve?"

My Winnie the Pooh stuffed animal that I've had since before I was born. Think Real like Velveteen Rabbit. LOL. I'd also love for my heirs to preserve my scrapbooks and journals.