Oh Canada discussion

Who's your favorite Canadian author?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 3 comments Mod
article in Salon.com:

http://open.salon.com/content.php?cid...

(discuss...)

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 25 comments Mod
I will put my comment here. I often find that I will pick up a book to read and only at the end find out that it is a Canadian author. I think that is brilliant because it means that I am not having to search out Canadians to read.

Current favourite Canadian authors for me are:
Alistair MacLeod
Miriam Toews
Ami McKay, and
Mary Lawson

There are so many decent fiction writers available to choose from and my list changes year to year.

message 3: by Jessica (last edited Apr 06, 2009 11:45AM) (new)

Favorites for me:

Alistair MacLeod (love him!)
Robyn Sarah
Elizabeth Harvor

of course I like Atwood and Munro, but those are all Amnerican know of Canadian authors..oh yes, and Ondaatje.
Shannon, I'm not familiar with the others you list.

I just taught a short play by Toronto playwright David Ives, he's very funny. My students loved it...

message 4: by John (last edited Apr 13, 2009 02:44PM) (new)

John My favorites would have to be:
Mary Lawson
Elizabeth Hay
Michael Crummy
Lawrence Hill
James Houston
Heather O'Neil
Joseph Boyden
Brad Smith

Most of those are for a favorite book rather than a body of work.

message 5: by Maree (new)

Maree Cox-Baker There are so many great Canadian authors, I discover new ones every day,

Bill Gaston
David Bergen
Sheree Fitch
Nicola Dickner
Bill Gaston
Rawi Hage
Lisa Moore
Neil Bisoondath

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Moe,

Which Elizabeth Hay book did you like so much? I read Late Nights on Air and while I enjoyed it I found it to be a bit disappointing. i will have to look up some of your other authors (Maree's too).

message 7: by John (new)

John Shannon wrote: "Moe,

Which Elizabeth Hay book did you like so much? I read Late Nights on Air and while I enjoyed it I found it to be a bit disappointing. i will have to look up some of your other authors (Ma..."

Late Nights on Air was the one I loved. Some times I think you have to be in the right mood to enjoy a book. I love having an ecclectic collection of books so I will always have something that suits my mood. If I have just read a weighty book I will follow it up with a piece of fluff.

message 8: by Jessica (new)

I love Elizabeth Harvor's story collections but really did not admire her novel (The Heart ...)
My very close girlfriend loved it, however. So, there's no accounting for taste, what moves us most doesn't always work for even those we love most, and vice-versa...

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue Some of my favorites are:

Mary Lawson
Joy Fielding
Robert J Sawyer
Margaret Atwood

I have more but they aren't coming to me at the moment.

message 10: by Altaïr (new)

Altaïr I have the disadvantage of having limited experience with Canadian authors due to my young age and lack of exposure to the genre. However, one young author that I believe possesses tremendous potential for action and adventure novels is the illustrious Kenneth Oppel.

Mr. Kenneth Oppel is my selection for the greatest Canadian author.

message 11: by Deb (new)

Deb | 1 comments I haven't read anything by Kenneth Oppel although he has always been on my wish list.

Some of my favourites are:
Margaret Laurence esp. The Diviners
Carol Shields
Alistair MacLeod's No Great Mischief is by far my favourite Canadian book
I enjoy the element of myth that Hiromi Goto brings to her work, esp. The Kappa Child

My book club is on a bit of a Canadian trend at the moment, we've read A Good House by Bonnie Burnard, Cambodia by Brian Fawcett, Kit's Law by Donna Morrissey, Green Grass, Running Water by Thomas King and A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry.

I love Canadian literature because of the many layers and its diversity.

message 12: by marie (new)

marie | 1 comments No one has mentioned Ann-Marie MacDonald but I loved Fall On Your Knees and The Way the Crow Flies.

message 13: by Maree (new)

Maree Cox-Baker I was half way through Fall On Your Knees and forgot it on a plane and couldn't be bothered to buy it again, so I give her a 2 1/2 star same as Atwood.

Interesting that I was at a dinner party last week where I met 2 other people that were prepared to agree with me, I no longer stand alone :-)

message 14: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Mark Anthony Jarman -- at the sentence level, he is simply the best writer in Canada today.

Also Joseph Boyden, Lynn Coady, Bill Gaston, and Rawi Hage among newer or lesser-known writers. Alice Munro is top of mind among the stars, also Ondaatje and Margaret Atwood.

message 15: by Maree (new)

Maree Cox-Baker I was right with you until you had to through Atwood in there

message 16: by Jennifer (last edited Sep 14, 2009 05:21PM) (new)

Jennifer (booktrovert) Shannon wrote: "Moe,

Which Elizabeth Hay book did you like so much? I read Late Nights on Air and while I enjoyed it I found it to be a bit disappointing. i will have to look up some of your other authors (Ma..."

Hi Shannon.

I'm new to the group, so later in posting. Concerning Elizabeth Hay, A Student of Weather was very good as was Garbo Laughs. I have heard more positive feedback about A Student of Weather though. Maybe you'll give Hay another try? :)

Jennifer

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (booktrovert)

Contemporary Canadian Authors I Currently Enjoy:

Miriam Toews
Monique Proulx
Lori Lansens
Joseph Boyden
Michael Redhill
Shani Mootoo
Elizabeth Hay

"All-Star" Canadian Authors:

Margaret Laurence
Alice Munro
Alistair MacLeod
Michael Ondaatje
Mordechai Richler
Carol Shields
Timothy Findley
Robertson Davies

message 18: by Helene (new)

Helene (birdvet) Hmmmmm,
Farley Mowat
Bill Richardson
Rohinton Mistry
Elizabeth Hay

Helene

message 19: by Shannon (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Moe,

Which Elizabeth Hay book did you like so much? I read Late Nights on Air and while I enjoyed it I found it to be a bit disappointing. i will have to look up some of your oth..."

Jennifer, I will likely try another Elizabeth Hay at some point and will keep in mind A Student of Weather.

Has anyone read Rare Birds by Edward Riche. Not a brilliant piece but I have to say that I did enjoy it. He also wrote the Nine Planets but I know nothing about it.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (booktrovert) Shannon wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Has anyone read Rare Birds by Edward Riche?"

Hi Shannon. I did read Rare Birds and I also enjoyed it. There is actually a movie which was very funny. William Hurt plays the lead.

message 22: by Shannon (new)

Hi Shannon. I did read Rare Birds and I also enjoyed it. There is actually a movie which was very funny. William Hurt plays the lead.

Hi Jennifer,
I have never seen the movie version but would like to one day. You are the only person that I have heard who has actally seen the movie. Glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to see if I can get it one day.

message 23: by Maree (new)

Maree Cox-Baker I also saw the movie and enjoyed it. Not as much as the book but that seem to be the way with books and movies.

message 24: by Maria (new)

Maria (dollhouse) | 1 comments Hello!

Robertson Davies is my all time favourite. I also really enjoy reading Jane Urquhart.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't see much repesentation of non-fiction writers. I like Pierre Berton, Mark Zuehlke, Charlotte Gray, Phillip Longworth, Mark Kingwell,John English, Northrope Frye, Mark Leiran-Young and many others. Is anyone in this group interested in Canadian History?

Have not read much Canadian fiction. Still reading English,French , and Russian Classics which I didn't get around to as a young person.

Have enjoyed the following authors:
Wayne Johnston, Guy Vanderhaeghe, Robertson Davies (The Cornish and Deptford Trilogies),Carol Shields,Mordecai Richler,Hugh MacLennan Alice Munro. and a few others.

I read "The English Patient" but I put him with W. Faulkner. M. Ondaatje may be a great writer, but he's not for me. I'm reading a little Hugh Garner and broke down and bought a second hand copy of " Tundra" by Mowat. I have heard from many that he has little objectivity. I guess I will find out.

Does Margaret Atwood ever attempt to give us any idea what her male characters are thinking. I feel like I'm reading Jane Austen. Much prefer George Eliot. I usually read three books before I give up on an author. Iv'e read Cat's Eye, Bodily Harm, and The Robber Bride by Atwood. I thought Cat's Eye was the most interesting of the three.

I'm looking for some good Canadian Historical novels but there doesn't seem to be many around. Perhaps it's a lack of knowledge about our own country. I recently finished reading " The Halifax Connection" by Marie Jakobir and found it quite well done.

Most of my life , I've read mostly non-fiction but have been reading a lot more fiction in the last few years. Have enjoyed most of the classics I have read.

I would appreciate any recommnedations re historical novels about Canada. It's often a painless way to obtain some social history. I enjoyed Johnston's historical novel about Joey Smallwood.

message 26: by Marie-vicky (new)

Marie-vicky (grimace) | 3 comments Margaret Atwood and Lucy Maud Montgomery

message 27: by Liz (new)

Liz | 1 comments Robertson Davies is probably my favorite - and throw in some of Timothy Findlay's work.. I love them both. :)

message 28: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1 comments I'm steadfastly working my way through all of Margaret Atwood's books. She never fails to move me.
Also love Robertson Davies and one of my favourite books EVER was "Mercy Among the Children" by David Adams Richards. Am about to read "The Lost Highway" by him.

message 29: by Regine (new)

Regine | 1 comments Timothy Findley is by far my favourite. I loved Not Wanted On The Voyage and Last Of The Crazy People. I also have Rohinton Mistry on my list, and i'm really excited to start reading him.

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hale (GSDLover) | 3 comments Hi, I'm new in the group but just have to add my 2 cents:
Michael Ondaatje
Anne Michaels
David Adams Richards
and that funny lady who writes about the Hutterites - I have "little children screaming in my ear" syndrome right now...

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hale (GSDLover) | 3 comments oh and am loving Joseph Boyden and his frequent submisions to Macleans...

message 32: by Shannon (new)

Lisa wrote: "Hi, I'm new in the group but just have to add my 2 cents:
Michael Ondaatje
Anne Michaels
David Adams Richards
and that funny lady who writes about the Hutterites - I have "little children screa..."

I will guess that the funny lady is Miriam Toewsbut she writes about Mennonites. Perhaps I am mistaken?

message 33: by Kevin (last edited Feb 02, 2011 11:46AM) (new)

Kevin Lee (KevinAlanLee) | 1 comments Hi all,

I would have to say that my favorite Canadian author is myself... =). Actually, my first manuscript is being published by the NUP. It is on my experiences with schizophrenia, and you can take a look at it at:

The Split Mind Schizophrenia from an Insider's Point of View by Kevin Alan Lee
http://www.nup.com/product-details.as...

Thanks!

Kevin

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments I have a few books by Canadian authors I have really enjoyed and will return to again. But I have a hard time pinpointing a Canadian author I enjoy. For instance, I loved Miriam Toews' A Complicated Kindness, but I haven't read another book of hers, so I feel fraudulent saying she's a "favourite author" of mine. I haven't tried out more than one title of most Canadian authors' I've read, and so I'm not sure if what I loved was the book's story, the prose specific to plot, or whether it truly was the author's style and ingenuity that brought me to love the book.

message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate MacKinnon | 2 comments Lisa wrote: "Hi, I'm new in the group but just have to add my 2 cents:
Michael Ondaatje
Anne Michaels
David Adams Richards
and that funny lady who writes about the Hutterites - I have "little children screa..."

I think you are refering to I Am Hutterite by by Mary-Ann Kirkby

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate MacKinnon | 2 comments New to the group - so hello everyone!
I too can't say I've read enough of any specific Canadian author to call them a favourite...

However, I really enjoyed (5* in my view) Angel Falls by Tim Wynveen as well as Still Missing by Chevy Stevens, Someone Knows My Name (aka Book of Negros) by Lawrence Hill and Ami McKay's The Birth House. For entertaining "fluff" suspense, I like Linwood Barclay too.

message 37: by Brent (new)

Brent Knowles (brentknowles) | 4 comments Anything by Robert J Sawyer or Tanya Huff. Not sure if I'd say they are my favorite Canadian authors but they are my favorites right now.

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hale (GSDLover) | 3 comments Shannon wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hi, I'm new in the group but just have to add my 2 cents:
Michael Ondaatje
Anne Michaels
David Adams Richards
and that funny lady who writes about the Hutterites - I have "little c..."

Yes! Miriam Toews it is! Thank you.

message 39: by writer... (last edited Mar 09, 2011 10:28AM) (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 6 comments Jessica wrote: "article in Salon.com:

http://open.salon.com/content.php?cid... (discuss...)"

definitely LM Montgomery ~ years of good reading past the initial ANNE of Green Gables...
Nellie McClung..

a new author, though authoring her blog, Holy Experience, for several years, is a fave ~ Ann Voskamp ~ whose book, 'One Thousand Gifts', is on the New York Times bestseller list..

former teacher Sarah Klassen

another Cdn fave ~ Brad Jersak,
Jean Vanier..
and Mary-Ann Kirkby, for 'I am Hutterite'
Mark Buchanan - several contributions..

message 40: by Ben (new)

Ben (ben77) | 2 comments Margaret Atwood unquestionably my favorite.
Also have to include Yann Martel given that Life of Pi is my all-time favorite book. However, I'm not familiar with anything else he wrote.

I am planning to read the following authors in the months to come:
Michael Ondaatje
Robertson Davies
Mordecai Richler

message 41: by Corey (last edited Apr 06, 2011 12:54PM) (new)

Corey | 1 comments Love W.P. Kinsella, Trevor Cole, Tony Burgess, Miriam Toews, Andrew Pyper, Cory Doctorow, Minister Faust, Paul Quarrington, Douglas Glover.

Think Doug Harris (YOU comma Idiot) could be my next man-crush.
W.P. Kinsella
Trevor Cole
Paul Quarrington
Minister Faust
Miriam Toews
YOU comma Idiot

message 42: by Robin (new)

Robin Evans (robinovich) | 2 comments I don't write letters to every author I read -- but I sent thank yous to Timothy Findlay and Alice Munro because I've enjoyed and learned so much from reading their work. They both graciously replied too.

message 43: by Jane (new)

Jane (janedee) | 2 comments Its wonderful to join a list and find some Canadian authors with whom I'm unfamiliar. There are a few that I've enjoyed who are not listed here. Perhaps, the genre is not to everyone's taste.
Guy Gavriel Kay was a favorite of mine from the time I was a teen. Recently I've enjoyed William Gibson's books and also Gail Anderson Dargatz book Turtle Valley

message 44: by Rick (last edited Aug 11, 2011 10:21AM) (new)

Rick (ricocan49) | 1 comments I am just about to start Crime Machine by Giles Blunt. Another favourite author of mine is Guy Vanderhaeghe. I thought Any Known Blood by Lawrence Hill was great! Joseph Boyden is super and Motorcycles and Sweetgrass by Drew Hayden Tayler was fantastic.
I also realy enjoyed Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving (pseudo-Canadian).

message 45: by Lbaker (new)

Lbaker | 3 comments Joseph Boyden is wonderful, but I must admit the Canadian authors that I re-read over and over are L M Montgomery and Margaret Laurence.

message 46: by Paula (new)

Paula Schuck | 1 comments Margaret Atwood and Margaret Laurence. Ann Shields. Jane Urquhart. Plus there are some lovely younger novelists that I adore Yann Martel's Life of Pi was brilliant. Annabelle Lyons. I like so many it is hard to choose. For cime fiction I really like Giles Blunt too now.

message 47: by Troy (new)

Troy Parfitt (troyparfitt) | 2 comments Mordechai Richler. There are others who write as well, maybe better, but no one had as much to say. Davies, Atwood, Laurence, MacLeod, and Richards are also good. Linden MacIntyre's The Bishop's Man is a solid effort. I'd like to read Callaghan and Leacock and I'd try Alice Munro. Who's Miriam Teows? If only there were some source that could tell me....

message 48: by Shannon (last edited Sep 02, 2011 11:04AM) (new)

Love Miriam Toews work. She writes bitter sweet books full of humour about growing up Mennonite (well, actually the probably aren't all about mennonites but she herself grew up in a mennonite community). She is so down to earth and I just love the way she tells a story.

Am reading some Guy Gavriel Kay becuase I hadn't read any since I was a teenager and in the fantasy vein must add that as a teenager (when I was reading fantasy) I really loved Charles de Lint so Jane, if you have not tried his work please do add it to your list of Canadian authors to read.

message 49: by Troy (new)

Troy Parfitt (troyparfitt) | 2 comments I Googled Miriam Teows and then realized I heard her recently on the CBC talking with... Amy Tan? Steinbach. I've been there.

message 50: by uh8myzen (new)

uh8myzen | 2 comments I'd have a hard time narrowing down to one so I figured I'd just list a few of my favourites... I had to leave out a bunch that I really enjoy though!

FICTION
Timothy Findley, Margaret Atwood, Morley Callaghan, Cory Doctorow, Gabrielle Roy, William Gibson

POETRY
Leonard Cohen, Earle Birney, Irving Layton, Al Purdy, Margaret Atwood, Archibald Lampman

HONOURABLE MENTIONS
Tomson Highway - a little of everything ;)
John Ralston Saul - Essayist / Author
Mark Zuehlke - Historian
Peter Watts - sci-fi author
James Alan Gardner - sci-fi author

Looking at it now, I understand why my mother always complained that I was indecisive!

« previous 1