Reading the Chunksters discussion

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
This topic is about Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Archived 2012 Group Reads > Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell 06: Chapters 26-29

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Welcome to week 6, how was this section???

Zulfiya (ztrotter) The book is getting more epic and multi-faceted, but it only gives more reasons to enjoy it. Because of its disseminated nature in this section you can hardly have a certain yarn to discuss, but the longest chapter was the last one, and it was full of both subtle irony and a direct criticism of the military forces and their pertaining 'low-browess' and their unwillingness to change and adapt. For some of them army is the time well spent, playing cards, gambling, eating exquisite viands, and enjoying themselves without being on the battlefield for a single during all their military career.

The chapter about Arabella and Mrs. Pole was filled in with subtle sadness and despondency - Lady Pole was trying very hard to tell about her plight, but all her attempts were futile and she told some nonsensical stories instead. And as a result, Arabella is now trapped in the chancery of double promises.

Stephanie Zulfiya wrote: "The book is getting more epic and multi-faceted, but it only gives more reasons to enjoy it. Because of its disseminated nature in this section you can hardly have a certain yarn to discuss, but th..."

i love the relationship arabella has with lady pole.
zulfiya, i also love reading what you have to say about this book. this book is quite entertaining and i read it as such so i enjoy the depth of your comments. they make me look at what i read in a more literary light. this book is so good that i'm having a hard time doing that.

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Stephanie wrote: "Zulfiya wrote: "The book is getting more epic and multi-faceted, but it only gives more reasons to enjoy it. Because of its disseminated nature in this section you can hardly have a certain yarn to..."

I gave myself a promise not to look at the book as a source of literary analysis, but I guess it did not work. The prose is really a Sundae delight - it is absolutely captivating. But I promise I will be more lighthearted next time I post! I had so many apprehensions before this reading project because fantasy is not my cup of tea, and let's admit it - some fantasy novels are simply ghastly (both in ideas and in language). This one is a true gem and it flows so naturally that I am trying to stop myself not to read further too early:-)

Stephanie Zulfiya wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Zulfiya wrote: "The book is getting more epic and multi-faceted, but it only gives more reasons to enjoy it. Because of its disseminated nature in this section you can hardly have..."

No, no, no! Please don't stop, I love that you've noticed things I didn't take the time to notice! :D The prose is delicious and so smart. I really couldn't find anything 'literary' to say because I just wanted to read the book! :D And, I've finished it (wayyy ahead, oops!, I'll not talk about the rest of the book and will stay on topic) unusual for me and books chosen in this group (I don't mind, but can now talk about things...like the prose without wishing I were reading the book! Oh, and I love fantasy, which could have been the problem. This book is fantasy and historical fiction and pastiche (or, would that be historical pastiche?) all those things I just adore in a book and I love the characters even silly old Norrell, especially those minor characters like Childermass and Stephen Black. I've also read that they are going to make it into a movie...I hope not, I love what I have created in my head too much to want to watch it! :D

message 6: by Glynis Jane (new) - added it

Glynis Jane (missgmad) | 0 comments I'm playing catch up at the mo after being distracted by my other read, Catch-22.

It's been bugging me that I posted a while ago that Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is a parody of C19th writing styles. I got the wrong P-word - I meant pastiche!

Juliette I wonder what it would be like if a modern government were given the access to a magician. For instance, what if the USA had a magician? What would be the first order of business?
If I were president, I think I would start with the obvious, ending hunger/homelessness. But knowing me, I'd probably screw it up and end up killing a population of cows, or vegetation, or something.

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Nice speculation, Juliette

Stephanie Glynis wrote: "I'm playing catch up at the mo after being distracted by my other read, Catch-22.

It's been bugging me that I posted a while ago that Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is a parody of C19th writing s..."

:D this made me smile! And, how is Catch-22?

message 10: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam (aramsamsam) I liked the introduction of Lord Wellington: So ironic! I feel a bit sorry for the french soldiers, but not a bit for Norrell.
He has no problem sending the only person he can call a friend into a war zone, but sending his books with that friend is quite another question. His love of books oversteps the border of defensibility. It is an egoistic longing to own knowledge and share it with noone.

So Norrell is a bad for example for us all. Do not deprive your friends of your books, guys!

Stephanie Iselin wrote: "I liked the introduction of Lord Wellington: So ironic! I feel a bit sorry for the french soldiers, but not a bit for Norrell.
He has no problem sending the only person he can call a friend into a..."

the more i like strange the less i like norrell. at first i thought he seemed lonely and then he seemed eccentric and now he just seems evil...of course, fulfilling his part of the prophecy...

Glynis wrote: "I'm playing catch up at the mo after being distracted by my other read, Catch-22.

It's been bugging me that I posted a while ago that Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is a parody of C19th writing s..."

i do that all the time! :D

message 12: by Glynis Jane (new) - added it

Glynis Jane (missgmad) | 0 comments Hi all, just finished this section. Took ages as I have recently started a blog and my goodness, it involves so much work and time tweaking the settings and making sure you link to this and that social network!

I can't remember exactly what went on in this section, except I dislike Mr Norrell more and more. I too love Arabella and Lady Pole.

Catch-22 was awesome thanks :-) Even though it took me over 100 pages to get into it. Discussing it at book group tonight. it would make a superb chunkster book!

Tasha Slowly catching up! :) finished the section this morning. I find myself giggling at the humor and I'm enjoying the prose. I'm planning on catching up through the break so that once we get back on track on July 8th, I'll be back on track too!

Alana (alanasbooks) | 456 comments I was heartbroken by the book auction and Arabella's trying so hard to get some of those books for her husband! And Norrell is such a snob and a miser, not willing to lend anything to Strange to read and learn!

I did think the bit about his trying to learn the army's needs and getting to know them on a personal level was intelligent and also speaks a lot of how the brain of the military often works. Some laugh-out-loud moments in that chapter!