Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Manga > Ditzy Main Characters

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What do you think of dimwitted, slow main characters? Do you like them, or do you think they're annoying?

Personally, I think ditzy main characters are getting old. Yeah, it adds humor, but other than that it's cliched and very well-worn. I mean, I don't mind if they start off a little dimwitted, but then grow into a more intelligent, mature character. But most of these characters hardly develop into better characters.

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments True dat.

message 3: by Jamille (new)

Jamille Jones | 2 comments >.> ditzy characters are beyond old, it's like they've been using the same cliche for 30 years. It would be nice to have a sort of level head heroine that isn't an idiot innocent chick or the buffoon that can kick everyone's ass except the love interest(who is only strong in physical since and loves to bully) You know a type of heroine who maybe a normal chick.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree. It just isn't funny anymore after you've seen it so many times. I hate how the intelligent character always ends up being a side character protecting the main character.

message 5: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 2018 comments Mod
Actually, Ditzy characters are just an aspect of "Kawaii." I did a report on this for a class once. No clue why...

Anyway, the word "Kawaii" (cute) originates from the word for pathetic (don't remember what the word was). Basically, the more pathetic a character is, the cuter she is. That's why you end up with characters like Tohru Honda of Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 who are seriously tragic, crybabies like Usagi from Sailor Moon, Vol. 1, and total ditzes who can't do anything right.

In moderation, I like ditzy characters. They're fine so long as they aren't totally out of the ball park. Chitanda from "Hyouka" can be a little ditzy sometimes (see the cultural fair episodes), but she's probably my favorite character from that series because she's pretty normal otherwise. Meanwhile, Momoe Okonogi of "Tasogare Otome x Amnesia" made me want to slap someone.

It's all about how the ditz is done.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I do think that ditzy characters can be done right. Personally, I think Tohru is a good example because, while she is ditzy and airheaded, she can say some pretty wise things, doesn't let things get her down, and always manages to put a smile on people's faces.

My main issue is that there are just too many ditzy main characters. I would like to see a more intelligent, level-headed character. Like Misaki from Maid Sama. She goes a little over the top sometimes with keeping the boys in line at her school, but at lease she's smart and can handle herself.

message 7: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 2018 comments Mod
The fact Tohru's simple-minded actually works out for the better. Why be overcomplicated when there's a simple solution? ^^

I agree on Misaki. I'd like to see more characters like her. The other think I like about her is that while she's a cafe maid (and totally enjoying her job), she's still smart and strong.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I think her working as a cafe maid also shows that she can hang up her pride (for the most part) and do what needs to be done. She doesn't want people finding out, but at least she doesn't drop the job, especially after people do find out. She's doing what's best for her family, even if it's not the ideal job for her.

message 9: by Marajean (new)

Marajean | 56 comments Ichigo from Tokyo Mew Mew is more level headed. I like that show.

But this reminds me of Air Master, if anyone watched it back in the day.

It was about a girl who used to be an olympic gymnast who is now a street fighter. It basically makes fun of every stereotype that anime has, or perhaps has a slightly more realistic twist to it?

One of the characters is the typical high schooler that looks like she's in grade school, so cute gets away with everything. Reality, she acts like she's cute but she's not and it's kind of freaky. She looks a bit like astroboy.

The whole series is basically making fun of the typical anime tropes.

message 10: by Flareen (new)

Flareen | 81 comments It just depends on how much etc. 3:

I also think one should be careful with what to call a cliche - there are hardly any stories out there that don't have at least one cliche in them. Infact you can only turn a story so and so many times. I think it just depends on how many cliches you use at ones and/or how man other original things you wrap up with them.

I think the same applies for personlities - there are only a limited amount of different personalities you can give a character.
Of course personalities can and should be deep at some point but let's say the "basic" personality only has a few paths to choose from. 3:

I do agree though that there are far more of the naive and and clumsy characters than of others in the shoujo area; but i don't mind them too much - it really depends on how the story goes and the characters around her.
I actually don't recall many characters that are plain stupid. I think i can only stand those if i know that the story is mostly meant to be comedy anyway. 3:

message 11: by Sinai C. (new)

Sinai C.  (sinaic) | 25 comments Tohru was probably my least favorite character in Fruits Basket. Literally-I disliked her. So much. So much. I get the need for her friends and the guys in her life to protect her-and I think it's very cute when people do that, since people do it for me too. BUT-when it's just, over and over again, the same ditziness--I just got annoyed. She just...she seemed very stupid. Just, I liked that she was kind and she was self-less, but it's just unnatural in real life for that to happen on the same level. Usagi is one thing--she's Sailor Moon and she's actually competent and snarky when need-be. Tohru is just a helpless and annoying person, in my opinion. I actually probably would be her friend, but I'd be extremely jealous of her innocence. UGHHH.

message 12: by Hanako (new)

Hanako Tachibana (otakusakura) | 13 comments Yuri Hirasawa was the classic ditzy main character. Her younger sister cared for her, she always messed things up, and the "when I learn things, I forget other things" joke was the icing on the airhead cake. :P

message 13: by Hanako (new)

Hanako Tachibana (otakusakura) | 13 comments From K-on!, that is!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't watched K-on!. However, she sounds like the essential ditzy character.

message 15: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I like Yuri, I never really got annoyed because of her. It was her nature, she is always crazy. But i guess that could annoy people

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I like them, if they are funny