Saxton B. Library Reads - Columbia, CT discussion

Books into Movies

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Saxton B. Little (last edited Jun 11, 2012 07:42AM) (new)

Saxton B. Little Staff | 120 comments Mod
Feel free to reply to this topic and talk about any books into movies that you'd like...

Over the weekend I watched the movie Blindness starring Julianne Moore and Mark Ruffalo. It was part of our foreign/independent film packet this month. As I started watching it occurred to me that this was a movie based on the book Blindness, same name by Jose Saramago. It's the story of a mass epidemic of blindness and how this causes society to quickly go down hill. I remember thinking this sounded interesting when the book was published way back in '98.

The movie was confusing at first but then I got in the flow of things and found it interesting. It was long, and the sound was lousy. Some of the actors were superior, some just ok. Somehow, it seemed it could have been a better movie.

Not having read the book, I'm not certain how true to the book the movie is. The book has an average 4 star rating on GoodReads...I'll add it for the someday.

Anybody read the book? Anybody seen the movie?

Oh, BTW, while I'm on this topic...Do you have any books you wish were made into movies or any you wish had not been brought to the big screen?

message 3: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (nanascurse) | 35 comments Saxton B. Little wrote: "Oh, BTW, while I'm on this topic...Do you have any books you wish were made into movies or any you wish had not been brought to the big screen?"

Yeah...I sort of wish, "Eat, Pray, Love" had not been made into a movie. I went with friends to see it. We all enjoyed the beautiful scenery, but the understanding of the main character was lost. At least that is my opinion.

Oh yes, I agree...I started to watch it and didn't even finish. I loved the scenery too and if I was with friends I might have enjoyed it more.

We probably good come up with more movies we wish hadn't been made into movies than those we wish made it to the big screen.

message 5: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (nanascurse) | 35 comments Did you see the Dragon Tattoo movies?? I read all three books and saw all three movies. The movies I saw are the foreign ones and they were amazing; gritty and true to the books. I haven't seen the Hollywood version yet. Hollywood has done only the first book, so far. I don't know if I will see it. Hollywood movies aren't usually as explicit as the foreign ones, and with these movies, they need to be raw in order to stay true to the stories.

message 6: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (nanascurse) | 35 comments How about 'Water for Elephants'??? I loved the book AND the movie!

You're good...That's one that I thought was equally enjoyable in both formats.

Recently I saw We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. I couldn't imagine how Hollywood would ever be able to do this. I was pleasantly surprised.

Ok, this past weekend I watched We Bought a Zoo with Matt Damon. The movie was entertaining, romantic, a tear jerker...So then I thought I should read the book. Took a look at GoodReads reviews and they were so so. I'm thinking the movie really romanticized the story. Have you read it? What can you tell me?

message 9: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (nanascurse) | 35 comments Haven't read it nor have I seen the movie. I think on that one I will see the movie eventually. With the so-so reviews, I'm probably gonna pass on the book.
So....We Need to Talk About Kevin is a good book? I'll look into it. It's not a familiar title for me.

message 10: by Saxton B. Little (new)

Doreen wrote: "Haven't read it nor have I seen the movie. I think on that one I will see the movie eventually. With the so-so reviews, I'm probably gonna pass on the book.
So....We Need to Talk About Kevin is a..."

I really We Need to Talk About Kevin. It explores the nature/nurture, good seed/bad seed question so vividly. There's much to discuss and lots to think about. Pairs nicely with Defending Jacob IMO.

message 11: by Amy Raffa (last edited Jul 05, 2012 07:16PM) (new)

Amy Raffa | 5 comments 1. I agree the U.S. make of the girl with the dragon tattoo was good, but I liked the Swedish version better.
2. I would love to see the outlander series on the big screen or a tv series, even better!

message 12: by Saxton B. Little (new)

@ Amy - What a good idea about The Outlander Series. I'm surprised no one's done it yet!

message 13: by Amy Raffa (new)

Amy Raffa | 5 comments She post on facebook from time to time, questions on which actors would you like to see play a certain character.

message 14: by Saxton B. Little (new)

That could be a whole other discussion. Ok, you're on! Who do you see as Claire, Frank, Randall and of course, Jamie?

message 15: by Amy Raffa (new)

message 16: by Saxton B. Little (new)

Thanks for the update Amy - Outlander should be extremely popular. Looks like there are many Ron Moore fans too. I loved his Carnivale.

So now we really can start casting our choices. One of you ladies out there must have some ideas who should play the parts.

message 17: by Amy Raffa (new)

Amy Raffa | 5 comments On Facebook one of the choices for Clair was Alex Kingsley from ER, I thought that would be a good choice. Maybe Kevin McKidd for Jamie.

message 18: by Saxton B. Little (new)

I'm getting so old I actually had to look these two up but I think you've got something here. I can see it! Who needs casting directors, just call Amy...

Saxton B. Library Reads - Columbia, CT

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Blindness (other topics)