Middle East/North African Lit discussion

2012 group cruise > MENA group year of Eve – stop 4/6 (July – August)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niledaughter (last edited Jun 12, 2012 12:24AM) (new)

Niledaughter | 2754 comments Mod
Reminder of all stops :

1- Personal Memoirs
2- Realistic Contemporary Fiction
3- Essays / politics/journalism
4- Fantasy and symbolism
5- Historical Fiction
6- Poetry

4- Fantasy and symbolism - (July – August) 2012

**It is very hard to put into categories ; so please feel free to comment , add or exclude .

Egypt Specters
The Golden Chariot

Lebanon The Tiller of Waters

KSA Fatma: A Novel Of Arabia

Turkey The Gaze

Jordan Pillars of Salt

Iraq Naphtalene

message 2: by Sagheer (new)

Sagheer Afzal | 12 comments I would cast my vote for Realistic contemporary fiction. In particular: 'The Reluctant Mullah' by Sagheer Afzal

message 3: by Marieke, Former moderator (new)

Marieke | 1179 comments Mod
Sagheer wrote: "I would cast my vote for Realistic contemporary fiction. In particular: 'The Reluctant Mullah' by Sagheer Afzal"

Thanks for the rec, Sagheer. However, we read "Realistic Contemporary Fiction" during the second stop and now we are collecting suggestions for Fantasy and Symbolism. I will be posting the poll on Saturday so everyone and anyone speak up if you want to see something included?

message 4: by Marieke, Former moderator (new)

Also, Sagheer, I can set up an author thread for you if you'd like. I wasn't aware you are an author-member until just now!

message 5: by Sagheer (new)

Sagheer Afzal | 12 comments Thank you very much Marieker. That's very kind of you. I would really appreciate that.

message 6: by Sue (new)

Sue Braunschweig | 1 comments I've read Fatma: A Novel of Arabia and it's one of my favorite books ever. It's strange and interesting and captivates.

message 7: by Niledaughter (new)

poll is over , we will be reading Naphtalene: A Novel of Baghdad

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate Oh good, I wanted to read it, now I hope I can find it! Ah-ha, I checked my college library and there it is.

message 9: by Marieke, Former moderator (new)

Hi everybody--we would like to try a little experiment: would anyone be interested in leading the discussion for this book? You would just need to say a little something to introduce it to start and we will be here to help. But we thought it would be fun to have "guest" discussion leaders for some of our group reads. Anybody interested?

message 10: by okyrhoe (new)

okyrhoe | 141 comments Marieke wrote: "Hi everybody--we would like to try a little experiment: would anyone be interested in leading the discussion for this book?"

I just want to encourage others who may not be so active in the discussions to think about it! Don't be intimidated, it should be a fun thing, and don't worry about it being a learning process for you.

I just wish I had the time myself...

When I joined Goodreads it was mainly to catalogue my books and as a backup to the reviews I was already posting on another book-site. (The other site was undergoing a re-design and I was jittery about losing my reviews' data. I joined several book-sites, and copy/pasted the info. Eventually I stuck with Goodreads as the most user-friendly of the lot!)

Anyway, what I meant to say is that before I knew it I was a GR librarian and then a GR group moderator, too. I didn't - and still don't - consider myself particularly tech-savvy or a literature expert, so being a GR librarian & a group moderator is more or less a learning experience, too. I appreciate how it improves my tech & research skills, in addition to the pleasure I get from sharing that acquired knowledge with others.

Try it :-)

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 138 comments I would be willing to lead the discussion. I just got the book via interlibrary loan though i wont be home for another week. Also i am reading the book in english.

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate Hi Lauren, go for it. I tried posting an introductory message to the group last night and when I posted it, Goodreads was down. Maybe you and I can keep the discussion going.

message 13: by Niledaughter (new)

Oops , I missed to post here that Kate volunteered to lead the discussion first (sorry ... my mistake and thank you Kate again ).

I am so glad you are both reading it and I am looking forward to follow your discussion :) (I am sure it will be rich) ...

Lauren ,
It pleased me s lot to know that you are willing to lead a discussion , I hope you will keep this intention because we would love to use that in the nearest opportunity :)

message 14: by Kate (last edited Jul 02, 2012 11:55PM) (new)

Kate Ok, I'm going to try posting an intro again today! But Lauren, you ARE welcome to be a big contributor to the discussion.

I just checked and my posting posted! I thought it was lost.

message 15: by Niledaughter (new)

okyrhoe wrote: "I just want to encourage others who may not be so activ..."

That was a very positive message :)

Kate wrote: "
I just checked and my posting posted! I thought it was lost."

Yes it is here since last night , great preview link BTW :)

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 138 comments Great. I will be sure to start the book when i am home in a week. Glad to lead a discussion anytime.

message 17: by Marieke, Former moderator (new)

Thank you, guys! It's really wonderful to have so much enthusiasm in the group. :)

Okyrhoe--that is what happened to me when I joined GR in 2008! I joined planning just to keep track of books and see what a couple of friends were reading and before I knew it I was involved in groups and accidentally became a moderator of one (Great African Reads). It surprised me, but I've really enjoyed it. I love my Africa group and this MENA group very much!

I'm back from being without Internet, but I won't be able to get my hands on Naphtalene until next week when I return to work.