What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > YA that goes to school

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 14 comments Could anybody suggest a YA book that has a school or camp... where the main character enters in it... It doesn't matter what kind of YA it is.. :)IT could be anything about fairies, vampires or wolves. IF you know anything, you are most welcome to comment! :)

message 2: by Yue (new)

Yue | 136 comments - A Great and Terrible Beauty (YA with supernatural vibe, and a bit of regency) It was not so good IMO.
- I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You. This is one I started reading yesterday. It is a school for spies girls.
- The Mysterious Benedict Society a really smart boy goes undercover to this special school, along with 3 unusual kids. It is really fun.

message 3: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 76 comments The Lightning Thief starts in a regular school and quickly sends the main characters off to Camp Half Blood. Pretty cool take on Greek mythology.

Marked is the first in the House of Night series. I liked them, but they aren't amazing. Quite a lot of adult content for YA.

Blue Bloods is set in a New York private school. Kind of Gossip Girl meets vampires in a good way.

Secret Lives is the first in a series I haven't read set in a mysterious school.

Fallen is set in a boarding school.

The Name of the Star is set in a London boarding school. I loved this one, and the writer got London really accurate :)

Immortal is another one set in a UK based school.

Hex Hall is set in a school called Hecate Hall.

Glass Houses is the first Morganville book. Technically it's a college but these are awesome.

Hush, Hush is a bit like Twilight in that girl-meets-boy in school.

L.J. Smith's books (Vampire Diaries - The Awakening and The Struggle, Secret Circle - The Initiation and Night World - Night World, No. 1: Secret Vampire; Daughters of Darkness; Spellbinder) all feature schools to varying amounts. The Secret Circle has a girl starting at a new school.

There are probably loads more that I just can't think of right now so I'll post again if I remember.

message 4: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 374 comments Here are some from my list (mine tend to be relatively young YA):

Nerd Camp
Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip
The Lions of Little Rock
Wonder
Ender's Game
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks
The Goats
Spud

I have a whole bunch of really old English boarding school books, too.

message 5: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 14 comments Sakura Yue wrote: "- A Great and Terrible Beauty (YA with supernatural vibe, and a bit of regency) It was not so good IMO.
- I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You. This is one I started reading yeste..."

Oi! I've read the 2 books you've suggested and it's quite good. :D I'm on the last part of the 2nd or beginning of the 3rd book in the mysterious Benedict Society.

message 6: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 14 comments TO every one who took their time and effort to comment, Thank You very much! I now have a lot of books to occupy me.. =D

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
A book by my favorite author, Madeleine L'Engle: And Both Were Young. It was written in the 1940s. A girl goes to a boarding school in Europe shortly after WWII. It really is a terrific book.

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 84 comments Model Spy: about a school that trains teens to become spies
Evil Genius: about a school that trains people to become criminal masterminds
First Test: a school for knighthood
Divergent: not about a school exactly, but there is a lot of training involved

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 5 comments Legend: It's not a school or camp it's more of an army thing.
Divergent: It has alot of training school-like
Flipped: funny YA romance funny book aswell switches from home to school
Bootcamp: Haven't read it but sounds cool and have head really good reviews from it. just can't get my hands on the book

Hope this helps

message 10: by Kate (new)

Laura's Luck by Marilyn Sachs is an older book that I enjoyed as a young girl. Laura goes to summer camp and discovers it's not terrible.

message 11: by Moira (new)

Moira (11moira) | 251 comments Mythos Academy by Jennifer Estep, there's 3 in the series so far with 4 & 5 on the way :)

message 12: by Yanitza (new)

Yanitza (dearyanitza) | 9 comments Bliss is a really good book about a girl who enters a school, it's kinda weird in some parts but I loved it.c:

message 13: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 211 comments The Year of Secret Assignments is all about school life. It's a YA but I recommend it for adults as well.

message 14: by Zoe Elizabeth (Booksatlunch) (last edited Jul 19, 2012 04:08PM) (new)

Zoe Elizabeth (Booksatlunch)  (booksatlunch) | 5 comments The Evernight might be something you enjoy.

message 15: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
I don't think anyone has mentioned The School For Dangerous Girls yet.

message 16: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 149 comments I'm surprised no one's mentioned Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, etc., or maybe that's just a given...

There's The Lightning Thief and the rest of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books. It takes place in a camp for half-human, half-god children.

The Summer of Firsts and Lasts takes place in a camp, but it's not supernatural...

In The Magic Thief, protagonist Conn becomes an apprentice of a sorcerer after pick-pocketing him and attends a school of magic.

Tiffany attends a similar school in the follow-up to The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky.

Touch of Frost features Mythos Academy for "myth, magic, and warrior whiz kids."

In All These Things I've Done, the daughter of New York City's prominent crime boss attends a Catholic school (which is central to the plot).

Shannon Hale (author of The Goose Girl) wrote Princess Academy, which is relatively self-explanatory; because of a lack of a qualified match, a contest is devised so that the graduate of the academy marries the prince. The story follows the journey of a young mountain girl hoping to win the prince's heart.

message 17: by Kate (new)

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong... has a home for troubled teens, who turn out to have special powers. There are three books in this series. I've just started this series, but I can vouch for the other books by Armstrong. She is an excellent author.

message 18: by Erin (new)

Erin | 192 comments Old and very cheesy, but you can try Hail, Hail Camp Timberwood

message 19: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle | 13 comments Witch Week is a good one that takes place almost entirely in a school.

message 20: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 14 comments I'll try to find these books in the book store. Thanks for your suggestion!

message 21: by HJ (new)

HJ How about The Mediator series by Meg Cabot, starting with Shadowland? The main character moves to California with her family, and quite a bit of the book revolves around going to a new school, and how different it is from her old one. There are 6 books in the series, and although they are mainly about her ability to see and talk to dead people and the consequences of that, of course she spends a lot of time at school and the relationships she forms there are key to the stories.

message 22: by Charley (last edited Aug 11, 2012 01:57PM) (new)

Charley (charleylucy) The Secret Circle series (haven't read)
Anna Dressed in Blood
The Soul Screamers series
The Vampire Diaries series
Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy
The Darkest Powers trilogy (not at school but I think you'd like it anyway! - loved these books!)

message 23: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriekate) | 1 comments Looking for Alaska takes place at a boarding school in Alabama.

The Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce takes place in a sort of school.

message 24: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Boys that Bite (first in series)
Esther M. Friesner has a series that starts in HS then moves on to University