The Not-So Austen Bookclub discussion

Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)
This topic is about Graceling
Group Roleplays > Graceling Roleplay

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Booknut, Head Moderator (last edited Jun 16, 2012 11:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4592 comments Mod
In this realm of seven kingdoms, there are a group of rare people born with an extreme skill. A Grace for Dancing, a Grace for Fighting or even a Grace for Killing. But people don't take kindly to those with Graces, especially the evil king to the north, King Wren - the son of the feared King Leck who died at Katsa's hand - who will stop at nothing to destroy them and with them the hopes for the kingdoms.

Can those with Graces reunite and defeat Wren? And what will happen if they fail to succeed?

Give your name, age, bio and Grace.

Name: Trithiria (a.k.a Trith)
Grace: The Grace of Fighting (can fight with any weapon and can even fight in the dark, or when blindfolded. Is a hard opponent to beat.).
Bio: Is currently journeying to Bitterblue's court in the hopes of entreating Bitterblue to help her gather Graces in the chance of defeating Wren. But many in Bitterblue's court are skeptical of these accusations - they do not believe Wren to be a threat. But Trith hopes beyond all hope that she can succeed.

message 2: by Melissa (last edited Jun 11, 2012 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa | 869 comments Name: Laurel
Grace:The grace of truth (can tell when anyone is lying and can make others tell the truth even if they don't want to)
Bio: Hiding in the slums of Monsea, trying to hide her grace from others especially those who don't like mind readers since she can force them to spill their secrets. Currently trying to help the truthseekers and help to repair the damage the Leck did to Monsea.

Rachel (velliya) | 424 comments Name: Abel
Grace: The gift of prophecy and time control. One red eye for prophecy and one blue eye for time.
Bio: soothsayer for Bitterblue's court

(Loved this book, haven't reaad the second one though, is that alright?)

Melissa | 869 comments Rachel wrote: "Name: Abel
Grace: The gift of prophecy and time control. One red eye for prophecy and one blue eye for time.

(Loved this book, haven't reaad the seco..."

It will be fine, the only way the second book connects to the other two is through the very end of Bitterblue where the maincharacter from the second book comes to Bitterblue's court

Rachel (velliya) | 424 comments Awesome :)

message 6: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trithiria (a.k.a Trith)

"Vexed." A dagger thudded into the centre of the target, joining a group of already hilt-embedded daggers which quivered at the shock of the impact. Trithiria nodded in satisfaction and turned to the youth beside her. "Is it not a delightful word to pronounce? It simply rolls of the tongue...vexed!" She said it again with relish.

Brenivere gave her an amused look from under his long eyelashes that framed almost amber eyes. "You are indeed a most...vexing creature, Trith. And I find that in no way delightful to admit."

Trith poked her tongue out at her childhood friend, whipping another dagger out of its scabbard and aiming it the target, balancing the point. "Bren, you do take the fun out of everything."

"And you make light of things you should not," replied her friend, crossing his arms over his chest and leaning against the trunk of the tree he stood underneath.
Trith had set up a range of practice targets when they had stopped to rest the horses but Bren had pleaded famished and had assigned himself apple-munching duty with the horses.

Trith threw the dagger and it hit dead centre again. Bren sighed and voiced, "I know not why you insist upon practice...what with your-"
Trith gave him a glare that could have frozen lake water at ten paces. "Do not mention that here in the open, Bren you dolt!"

Trith ignored his all-knowing smirk and aimed her next dagger expertly into the bark beside his head. That got rid of the smirk. Trith laughed as his face began to redden in anger and got ready to run as he pushed himself up and ran over to make her pay.

Rachel (velliya) | 424 comments Abel

Visions can look and seem so real
And can tell you many things.
But, majority of Visions are only Dreams
No truth or council they bring.

So, in order to see Visions true
One must posses a special gift.
For the path of prophecy is unclear
And turns many souls adrift.

In prophecy, one must know time
To not be trapped by its allure.
For, to be lost in what is yet to come
Can turn the mind impure.

So one eye for the prohecy
And the other one for time.
A Graced Child of knowing sight
To read the Future's hidden mind.

Melissa | 869 comments Laurel

"Hey Laurel? Can you come here?" I popped up from behind the crate I had been behind startling Teddy. I grinned "sure thing whatcha need?" Teddy grimaced clutching his side. Even though the wound had made a complete recovery Teddy claimed the old stab wound still gave him grief. "Cab you come with me to meet someone? They said they have some information on Leck and I want to make sure they aren't consciously lying to me."

I made a face, "you're sure this isn't another slimey old man who just wants money to spend in a bar?" Teddy threw his hands up in the air " one time!" I snickered, "ok just let me finish up here and then we can go." I tidied up things behind the crate before adjusting my hair so that it covered one eye. "Let's go" I said to Teddy before he ushered me out the door.

message 9: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachel wrote: "Abel

Visions can look and seem so real
And can tell you many things.
But, majority of Visions are only Dreams
No truth or council they bring.

So, in order to see Visions true
One must posses a sp..."

Rachel - that is beautiful!!:D

Rachel (velliya) | 424 comments Haha thanks :) I love poetry <3

message 11: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trithiria (a.k.a Trith)

Trith had offered to collect the wood for their campfire that evening. Bren had looked disapproving. "What if you need me and cannot call for help?"
Trith had eyed him with exasperation. "Are you seriously asking that of me, Bren?" After all, he knew of her Fighting Grace - one of the few that did. He'd rolled his eyes.
"I know of your supremacy, Trith, but nevertheless, there are some things no Grace can fully prepare you for."

Trith had always been independent and it ticked her off that he thought so little of her. Had she been a man, would he have acted differently? "I'll scream shrilly and start sobbing for mercy," she had replied sarcastically. "Shall I wave my handkerchief too?"

"If that makes you easier to spot," he'd retorted calmly. Bren was always calm and mature. That is why Trith dearly loved to poke fun at him to get some kind of reaction out of that cool mask. He joked every now and then, but he was always so...so superior.

Trith'd turned on her heel and plunged into the forest. Men! Always trying to rule her life for her!

Abel walked around her quarters, they were filled with an assortment of draped fabrics, plants, fountains, beads and a lot of natural, earth tones. The day had just broken and the sun was shimmering behind a slowly evaporating layer of mist, Abel still strolled about in her sleepwear, until she finally decided her day should begin.
She made her way to a full length mirror next to her open, glass door, and this lead out onto the balcony, where Abel had one of the most beautiful views of the kingdom. The person reflected back at her was an average height girl, with long brown hair that was slowly swaying in the breeze. She had a scattering of freckles on her pale face, but the most intriguing thing about her, were her eyes. They were eyes that could get her executed if she wasn’t in a place as accepting as Bitterblue’s court. For here, her home, she was a humble soothsayer; some thought she was crazy, those people didn’t know of her gifts.
She had one red eye, a symbol for her perfect prophetic ability; she had never said anything was to happen that didn’t eventually happen. The other was blue, for her control over the waters of time; she could only do small things though, pause time for short spans, and rewind it slightly. It was a skill that she was desperate to improve.
Abel had only one mask, a fringe. It covered her red eye, making her look like a normally insane soothsayer.
She was no warrior, but her Sight had forewarned her that she would be assisting some; she was more one for counselling than actually fighting. The only fight she could win would be one of wit. She was pathetic with a sword and horrible with an axe and the only weapon she could manage was a bow, and with that, she was decent.
Abel forced down her fringe, tying a silver ribbon around her forehead, covering her eye and leaving the rest of her hair loose. She dressed in long, flowing, diaphanous, blue robes and placed many bracelets upon her wrists, loving the sound of their constant jingle. Upon her fingers and feet, she wore nothing, preferring them free. Lastly, she lined her eyes with a thin, black border and was on her way.
She walked along the halls and balconies, as beautiful as a fairy, playful as a child and wiser than any in the kingdom.
Abel saw her friends in the Dining hall and made her way towards them.

"Don't trust him Teddy, he's lying." I said and the old man looked at murderously. I glared back at him, Teddy looked disappointed. "Let's go then." I nodded and got up to leave, gripping my knife just incase the man got it in his head to try anything. "Hey wait a minute! I've been giving you information for months now! What is so special about this little bitch that you'll take her word over mine?!" The man demanded and Teddy, still looking rather disappointed said, "she's trutworthy."

The man looked about ready to lunge across the table at me so I pulled my knife out and pointed the tip at him. He settled down after that. We left and Teddy seemed to be having a debate with himself so I kept quiet until he came to a decision. "Laurel you know that Queen Bitterblue is a friend of mine right?" I nodded, not knowing where this was going. "Well she's coming to the shop later today and I was hoping to introduce you to her..." he trailed off when he saw that I had stopped walking.

"You know what the court did to my parents, yet you would still have me work for the queen?" I said on the verge of hysteria. "But that wasn't Bitterblue's fault, it was her advisor's!" I swallowed, "and she basically pardoned them! The only one that's still alive is on House arrest!" my voice was rising and Teddy hurried me along to the shop, " they killed countless people and the queen gave them house arrest!"Teddy looked desperate, "but only one of them." I clenched my fists "only because the others were either murdered by each other or they killed themselves!"

I had tears running down my face. "She needs people she can trust an you grace can give her some peace of mind as to when she's being lied to and why." Teddy said quietly. I shook my head and fled, feeling shamed that I had made Teddy look so sad but I just couldn't bear the thought of working so closely with someone who had pardoned my parents killers.

*Carn’s perspective*
The dining hall was grand, filled with people, eating, sitting and laughing together in joyful harmony. Abel entered, looking peaceful, happy and beautiful, in her own strange little way. This was a good sign, it meant that she had slept well, and no misfortune was to curse the court tonight, or nothing particularly special was to occur either. She finally saw him and made her way towards him.

*Abel*
“I’m starving!” Abel said, jokingly, as she sat down next to her childhood friends, Carn and Myra. “What’s being served?”
“The usual.” Carn said, gesturing to the bowel of fruit and grains that they were eating. “But, you would’ve already known that, what with your psychic powers and all.”
Abel laughed, throwing a piece of fruit at his face, “My Grace doesn’t show me things so mundane as breakfast. I think I’d go crazy if it did.”
“You’re already crazy.” Myra laughed and Carn began to as well.
“And sorry that breakfast is too mundane for you.” Carn added, still laughing. “It’s the most important meal of the day. I thought you knew that, maybe you aren’t psychic after all.”
“Ha-ha, very funny.” Abel said sarcastically, but she couldn’t help but laugh with her friends. She knew that she was a little bit crazy, she liked it.
Carn was training to be a soldier, he lived he because his father was the court’s brilliant blacksmith. Myra was the opposite, she worked in the apothecary, and worked mainly as an apprentice healer and arrived here early everyday for work, living elsewhere.
After breakfast, they all walked outside, today they were free from their duties and were allowed to walk around the court at will. While they strolled along one balcony, talking, Abel had a small vision- two people on horseback were coming to the court, and were bound to arrive soon. It didn’t make sense, but most of her Vision’s don’t at first. She excused herself from her friends and made her way towards her quarters, where she usually went to figure things out...

message 15: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trithiria (a.k.a Trith)

"Trith!" Trithiria could hear Bren's deep tones vibrating through the dark forest. The dolt was thundering through the forest with all the grace of a black bear, probably alerting all wildlife within a hundred paces distance of his presence. So much for catching a rabbit or a squirrel to roast over the fire.

She straightened and sighed, closing her eyes and praying for patience. "I'm here, you dolt!" she shouted back, easing her way out of the bushes and, carrying the wood for the fire, made her way to where he stood. He had left their campsite, obviously discontent with letting a woman do all the work.

"I was worried for your safety," he said with a straight face. She raised an eyebrow.
"I'd be more worried for the safety of the parts my attackers hold most dear," she retorted. "I can fight - I can defend myself, Bren, and you must have some faith in me!" She stormed over to the makeshift fire and added the wood, piece by piece.

Bren came to sit beside the fire, looking up at her. "I do have faith in you-"
"I know my grandfather said you should protect me from dangers," she went on, not heeding him, "but this is taking it too far. I will not sit here idly waiting for danger to find me. I will find it, and it will rue the day it decided to venture from its lair."

Bren sighed and leaned back on his elbows. "You are overly dramatic, Trith."
She snorted and took a seat beside him, poking the fire with a stick. "And you are far to uptight. Relax and allow someone else to help you for once. Otherwise I shall grow bored of your company and ditch you, and that thing you call a horse-"

"Antoinette is a good horse!" exclaimed Bren, looking indignant. When Trith raised an eyebrow he gave her a rueful smile. "Though...she may have a tendency to stop and munch on grass..."
"She should have been sent to the pastures years ago!"
"She's loyal!"
"She'll slow us down, you- oh, I'm not having this discussion with you yet again ," sighed Trith. She got up and went over to her things, getting out a blanket and wrapping it around her shoulders and then throwing her cloak on top. "I wish to rest. Now you can be all macho and keep watch."

And she settled down to sleep, ignoring Bren's eyeroll which had been obvious even from a distance in the dark.

message 16: by Melissa (last edited Aug 06, 2012 03:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I still felt bad about upsetting Teddy, but there was no way I was going to work for the Queen. I was hiding in my little room above the shop, trying to stop the little hiccups that I got whenever I cried. I sniffled and listened to Teddy walk around the shop.

There was a knock at the door to the shop and I heard Teddy's hurried footsteps. It sounded like the door flew open and Teddy yelled "Sparks!" there was some giggling and I tucked my knees under my chin. I tried covering my ears but couldn't block out the whispers that said like, her fault, her fault!

I shook my head and whimpered, I couldn't take much more of this. I grabbed my cloak and flew down stairs, narrowly avoiding a short woman as I fled the shop. "Wait Laurel, where are you going?!" Teddy called after me. "Out!" I yelled, trying to keep the weakness out of my voice. Even running at a full sprint I heard the woman say, "so that was the famous Laurel?"

message 17: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trithiria:

The next morning...it rained.

"Pox," Trith muttered under her breath, tugging her cloak tighter around her as she rode. The rain made sitting in the saddle an uncomfortable and slippery business, the cold penetrating the thick fabric of her cloak and her clothing underneath. Chilled, hungry and tired, Trith was in a foul mood. And it did not help that Bren was being unerringly cheerful.

"Just look at that tree we just passed!" He turned in the saddle and gestured to it, beaming, his hood up and water dripping from the end of his nose and the tips of his eyelashes. "Did it not look like a rook? I think it did."

Trith glared. "Really? This is how we must occupy our time?"
"How else would you suggest we spend it? Sulking in the rain can only bring you so much entertainment."

After that jibe, Trith remained silent.

message 18: by Melissa (last edited Jan 11, 2013 04:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finally managed to control my emotions by the time I reached the pub. Though I couldn't help the hiccups, I got them whenever I cried and one time it had taken me a whole day to get rid of them. I had just walked in and was on my way to the back when arms came around me from behind and looped around my waist.

"Rough day at the shop?" Came a behind me. I scowled, not in the mood for jokes and slammed my elbows into his gut. The arms disappeared and I turned to see a boy not much older than I was on the ground holding his stomach. "For crying out loud Laurel, no need to get so violent." He wheezed and I put my hands on my hips, continuing to scowl at him. He eventually got up but continued to hold his stomach.

"Well then don't grab me like that and I won't." I said crossly. His expression turned mischievous, "well then, in that case how would you like me to grab you?" My eyes narrowed and I opened my mouth to retort but hiccuped instead. His eyes flashed with understanding and he encompassed me in a hug. This time I let him hold me and my shoulders sagged. He knew me too well.

"You can tell me y'know?" I hiccuped again. "I know, thanks Laius."((pronounced lay-us))

(̲̅K̲̅)(̲̅a̲̅)(̲̅i̲̅)(̲̅t̲̅)(̲̅e̲̅)(̲̅l̲̅)(̲̅y̲̅)(̲̅n̲̅)(̲̅n̲̅) Name:Yeva
Grace: Reading And Survival (Can Beat About Anyone and amazing at hand to hand combat)
Bio: Just Left Ror City to go help Bitterblue.Still on the ship taking me to Bitterblue's kingdom

(̲̅K̲̅)(̲̅a̲̅)(̲̅i̲̅)(̲̅t̲̅)(̲̅e̲̅)(̲̅l̲̅)(̲̅y̲̅)(̲̅n̲̅)(̲̅n̲̅) Rachel wrote: "Name: Abel

(Loved this book, haven't reaad the seco..."

2ed one is as boss as the 1st loved them both

(̲̅K̲̅)(̲̅a̲̅)(̲̅i̲̅)(̲̅t̲̅)(̲̅e̲̅)(̲̅l̲̅)(̲̅y̲̅)(̲̅n̲̅)(̲̅n̲̅) I could tell he was coming up behind me,so I went on reading till he was arms length away,silly Vincent, I jumped up and turned with my dagger at his throat and laugh " Poor poor thing I am sorry you do this every day and I know your hart beat and foot steps I am sorry Vin", I said without regret. He looked down at me and smiled and hugged me like a bear " Why are you so happy my friend and let go before I brake your leg." He let me go and told me something I didn't want to hear " Yeva my mother is letting me go with you to Bitterblue's kingdom."

Sitting in her chambers, Abel plucked at the strings of her harp, the calming music helped her think logically. She had a tendency to stress when she got visions for no particular reason, it wasn't like they were anything new. The harp calmed her and she was a brilliant player with ling delicate fingers and a beautiful ear when it came to music.
Soon she was humming wistfully along with the tune and she was able to think more clearly about her vision.
Two horse riders, one male the other female, clad in travellers cloaks. One, the female, had the hood of her cloakpositioned so that you couldn't see her eyes.
A Graceling. Abel thought as she recalled the vision. Yes, definitely.
Abel struck a new tune on the harp as she began wondering who the Graceling was and what their talents were. If she could stay calm, she could figure it out in less than a day.

(̲̅K̲̅)(̲̅a̲̅)(̲̅i̲̅)(̲̅t̲̅)(̲̅e̲̅)(̲̅l̲̅)(̲̅y̲̅)(̲̅n̲̅)(̲̅n̲̅) Yeva:

" No no no." I ran to Vincent's mother and yelled at her " You CRAZY old women, how dare you let your son on my journey!!!" she simply just sat there looking up at me and she asked " Yeva ,my dear he's not going to learn how to fight if he sit upon a ship all his days?" Then I got what she wanted "Okay I will do it but if he dies its his blood on your hands." I stalked off to find a place to read where no one would disturb me.

A few days letter we got to land at last we aravied at Westport " Vincent come on we have to go get food and horses." I walked off the ship I have to immit that I will miss the old thing but it felt better to be on land.