Jane Austen discussion

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariakelly) | 27 comments Does anyone remember the 2008 ITV production 'Lost in Austen'. What did you think of it?

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 112 comments You will love it if:

1. You approach it with the idea that it is not meant to be true to the book itself - but more a toast to the fans of the book.

2. You like a romantic comedy - and those with a British flair in particular.

3. You don't mind the occasional . . . innuendo or crass joke. The movie isn't full of foul language or nudity or anything like that, but there are some moments that annoy purists. It certainly isn't anything Jane would write. I think there are about five moments in the movie. One is where she hints to Bingley that she is a lesbian (the word isn't used) so he won't be interested in her anymore and start paying attention to Jane instead.

Honestly, I usually am pretty conservative about what I watch. I thought it was funny and unique. I loved Wickham in the movie.

message 3: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Yes. Bear that in mind. Then you might enjoy it!! :)

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariakelly) | 27 comments I agree, and I loved the irreverence of it. I think we can sometimes take ourselves and our love of Austen far too seriously. As an Austen 'based' comedy I thought it worked very well, if you can susspend your disbelief that there is a portal to Pride and Predudice in the bathroom! (which is quite funny in itself).
I love the ending too, real female wish fulfillment!

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan I thought it was fun - a nice escape from reality!

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (atomicempress) | 58 comments I really enjoyed it. I loved the ideas of the characters having lives of their own, and then just escaping off into them. LOL I loved the bit you got to see of Elizabeth in Modern London.
-Pammie

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 79 comments I just watched this movie tonight. I thought it was pretty good. I was really struck by the fact that everytime they showed Darcy he reminded me of Heath Ledger, so I had to check to make sure that it really wasn't him. I have not seen P&P with Colin Firth so the whole wet shirt thing went over my head. Don't worry I have it on reserve at the library, just waiting for it to come back in. And I agree Pam, seeing Elizabeth and Darcy in Modern London was a bit strange.....wish I could find a doorway like that in my house.

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Oh I am constantly looking for that door...!!!

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 79 comments Me too....I keep hoping that I will find one sometime soon.

message 10: by Xenia (new)

Xenia (collarcitybrownstone) | 63 comments Stephanie wrote: "I just watched this movie tonight. I thought it was pretty good. I was really struck by the fact that everytime they showed Darcy he reminded me of Heath Ledger, so I had to check to make sure th..."

I have seen P&P with Colin Firth several times and I have to admit that I do not get the wet shirt thing. Darcy goes into the water and then comes up wet, but it is not like you can see anything or like the shirt is clinging to his body that much. I really don't get it.

message 11: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Haha. But i know what you mean.

Defo watch it!!! That version is great!!!!! :D really accurate to!!

message 12: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariakelly) | 27 comments Soph wrote: "Oh I am constantly looking for that door...!!!"

Think it's the adult equivalent of the wardrobe door to Narnia. We'd all love to go through it.

message 13: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Very true!!!

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (atomicempress) | 58 comments I agree Maria and Soph. lol.
-Pammie

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 79 comments Maria, I agree, it can open anytime now....I keep looking for it everywhere I go.

message 16: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariakelly) | 27 comments Stephanie wrote: "Maria, I agree, it can open anytime now....I keep looking for it everywhere I go."

Lol, :-)

message 17: by Robin (new)

Robin | 12 comments I would love to find that door. I could use a break every now and then and exploring the English countryside would sooth wonderfully. :)

message 18: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Definitely!!
Every time I hear a sound in the bathroom, im in there like a shot!! ;)

message 19: by Elif (new)

Elif | 26 comments Well, it was completely a disappointment. I think someone who has inspired from Austen must remain loyal to the original in the personality of characters. The only good thing about it was Darcy's coming after her. It definitely is not a modern version of P&P, it is something ruins it.

message 20: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (atomicempress) | 58 comments I don't feel like it was suppose to be a modern version of P&P, personally.

message 21: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments i don't think it was meant to be P&P. i mean Lizzie wasn't really in it... and it was so different that i don't like to class it as a modern P&P...

message 22: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 34 comments Just wanted to say that I'm teaching a college English class this summer, and one of my ESL students brought as her "most precious possession" a tiny version of Pride and Prejudice, which she said was the first book she read in English--she had previously read it in Chinese!

I love my students (some of them)!

Shelley, Rain: A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

message 23: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (atomicempress) | 58 comments Shelley - I love that story.
-Pammie

message 24: by Leah (new)

Leah (princessleia) | 87 comments I loved how it started out, but once the series started going I hated how they destroyed Jane Austen's story. Caroline a lesbian? Wickham not evil but good? Jane and Collins get married? It was too awful for words, but yet something in me had to see it all the way to the end. Plus I can't stand Gemma Arterton! Even though she wasn't in it very long she still annoyed me.

message 25: by Maria (last edited Jul 15, 2012 11:44AM) (new)

Maria (mariakelly) | 27 comments Have just watched the box set with my hubby. I was thinking how great it was that he was willing to watch it with me 'cos I bet a lot of blokes wouldn't watch that kind of thing with their wives and thinking he may not be Mr Darcy but he's all right with me, until the climax of the whole series. The bit right at the end when Darcy declares his love and Amanda finally gets to kiss him. Right in the middle of the gorgeous kiss he points to the screen and pipes up "There's a banana tree down there". And they say romance is dead, lol!

message 26: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments That's classic - ruining the romantic part ;) at least he watched it with you :)
What did you think of it?

message 27: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariakelly) | 27 comments I absolutely loved it. (See message 4). I think the whole idea of going into the story of 'Pride and Predudice' is wonderful. The actors were all brilliant. I loved the way the characters changed yet, I think at least, it stayed true to the spirit of Austen. Wickham, for example became a much more interesting character and more attractive as a result. While Bingly temporarily became a drunk and depressed but was still so sweet. I love that Amanda messes it all up but sorts it all out in the end and that she gets to stay with Darcy, as we all would of course.

message 28: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Glad you did :) its an interesting watch. And I'll leave it at that!

message 29: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberlulaby) I loved Lost in Austen as well. As Sophie said above:I am looking for that door.
:)

message 30: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments The slightest noise in the bathroom and im in there like a shot!!! It never comes to anything ... Unfortunately ...

;)

message 31: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberlulaby) Hahahahahahahah! I have felt like that before Sophie. ;)

message 32: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Tehe ;)

message 33: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 79 comments Me too Soph! I keep hoping to find a portal at somepoint that will take me back to that time period.