The Notebook (The Notebook, #1) The Notebook discussion


215 views
The movie is so much better!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ben (last edited Jun 11, 2012 01:22AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ben I've read the book last year and didn't like it at all; didn't hate it as well. Just okay. But I've always wondered why everyone seems to like it so much, and my guess is it's because of the movie! Just saw it and, indeed, it was so much better. :-)


message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I Happened To Like The Book Better Than The Movie.:)


rachel ~ trans rights are human rights To be honest, I feel like Nicholas Sparks is a really, really average author. I agree that the movie is better - the book was just very eh. I don't really like his flow; I feel like he's trying really, really, really hard to be romantic, and he totally overdoes it. But meh, I just don't really like him as an author at all.


Xenia I loved the book and the movie. I also think Nicholas Sparks is a very good writer and yes, even a romantic one.


Nicole I also agree that the book was far better and more touching than the movie. :)


Katherine Sieck I am always saddened when people say that they "..like the movie so much better than the book." It demonstrates that they have little faith in their own imaginations


Angie Elle Katherine wrote: "I am always saddened when people say that they "..like the movie so much better than the book." It demonstrates that they have little faith in their own imaginations"

I don't agree with that. It's up to the writer to create a world tangible enough to keep you engrossed. You can have a great imagination, but the writer needs to provide something to build on.

IMO, Nicholas Sparks missed the mark with this book; the movie was much better. And I have a great imagination!


Angie Elle Liza wrote: "I vote for the movie. The books are too sappy. But the movies can be as well. I saw Savannahs Letters to John (or something to that affect) years ago on Lifetime I think, and it bored me to deat..."

I think that was either Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas, or Sam's Letters to Jennifer. Both were written by James Patterson. LOL

Thank you for the chuckle! ;)


Susan I agree with most of these comments. I liked the movie -- but the book was so sappy it made me sick! I don't like his style of writing I guess. I most likely won't read any more of his books.


message 10: by Liza (last edited Jun 15, 2012 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liza Angie wrote: "Liza wrote: "I vote for the movie. The books are too sappy. But the movies can be as well. I saw Savannahs Letters to John (or something to that affect) years ago on Lifetime I think, and it bor..."

Oh wow, boy was I off lol. The covers must have thrown me off. I usually notice only JP with Alex Cross & Women's Murder Club lol.

http://www.jamespatterson.com/books_s...

http://www.nicholassparks.com/books


Angie Elle Liza wrote: "Angie wrote: "Liza wrote: "I vote for the movie. The books are too sappy. But the movies can be as well. I saw Savannahs Letters to John (or something to that affect) years ago on Lifetime I thi..."

It just cracked me up because it was such a testament to how much you don't enjoy his books! LOL


Katherine Sieck Angie wrote: "Katherine wrote: "I am always saddened when people say that they "..like the movie so much better than the book." It demonstrates that they have little faith in their own imaginations"

I don't ag..."


Based on your response to me; No. You don't have a great imagination.


message 13: by Angie Elle (last edited Jun 15, 2012 01:28PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie Elle Katherine wrote: "Angie wrote: "Katherine wrote: "I am always saddened when people say that they "..like the movie so much better than the book." It demonstrates that they have little faith in their own imagination..."

You came to that conclusion based on just a few sentences from me? Wow! I just made some assumptions of my own, but I'll keep them to myself!

What was it that tipped you off? My use of the word 'the?'


Katherine Sieck yyyyyyyyaaaaaawwwnnnnnnn.
Please stop.....unless you can do something other than bore me with your comments.


Angie Elle Katherine wrote: "yyyyyyyyaaaaaawwwnnnnnnn.
Please stop.....unless you can do something other than bore me with your comments."


Excellent response. I am wowed by your imagination. You have blown me out of the water and put me right in my unimaginative place.

(Yes, that was Ferris Bueller's teacher's monotone voice you just heard.)


message 16: by Ben (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ben Susan wrote: "I agree with most of these comments. I liked the movie -- but the book was so sappy it made me sick! I don't like his style of writing I guess. I most likely won't read any more of his books."

Oh please still do. There are actually good ones, among the five i've read from him, this is the only one that bored me and i didn't like.


message 17: by Susan (new) - rated it 1 star

Susan Jude wrote: "Susan wrote: "I agree with most of these comments. I liked the movie -- but the book was so sappy it made me sick! I don't like his style of writing I guess. I most likely won't read any more of ..."
Name one that you really liked and recommend. Maybe I will give it a try.


message 18: by Ben (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ben Susan wrote: "Name one that you really liked and recommend. Maybe I will give it a try. "

Try Dear John or A Walk to Remember. :-)


Melissa Wray If you enjoyed The Notebook, you should try the sequel The Wedding. Allie and Noah get a mention but it focuses more on their son-in-law and daughters marriage. I probably enjoyed The Wedding more than The Notebook because I didn't know it existed and was very pleasantly surprised! Has anyone else read it? Thoughts?


Michael The movie was better to me as well, that is rare to me.


Xenia Melissa wrote: "If you enjoyed The Notebook, you should try the sequel The Wedding. Allie and Noah get a mention but it focuses more on their son-in-law and daughters marriage. I probably enjoyed The Wedding more ..."

I read The Wedding. I did enjoy reading it much more than The Notebook. The Wedding was very touching and I never guessed the ending. It was a beautiful ending.


Melissa Wray I agree Xenia. I did not see the ending coming! I think that's what made it so great. Very clever Mr Nicholas Sparks.


message 23: by Ben (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ben Melissa wrote: "I agree Xenia. I did not see the ending coming! I think that's what made it so great. Very clever Mr Nicholas Sparks."

Okay, I will put that in my to-read list. :-)


Xenia Melissa wrote: "I agree Xenia. I did not see the ending coming! I think that's what made it so great. Very clever Mr Nicholas Sparks."

Yes, the ending made the book even more special. What a beautiful surprise. It brought tears to my eyes. That was, indeed, very clever of Nicholas Sparks.


Melissa I actually didn't care for the movie at all, but that isn't unusual. The only movies based on Nicholas Sparks' books that I liked were "A Walk to Remember" and "Message in a Bottle."

I enjoyed most of his books. There were only a few that I didn't care for, including Dear John, The Last Song, True Believer, and At First Sight.


Katerina The book was just confusing for me. I mean it's all over the place. Not one of his more notable works...

But the movie! It was wonderful and I cry every time I re-watch it. This is one of those rare circumstances when the movie out shines the book.


Xenia I did enjoy reading The Notebook, but I have to admit that I did not care for Allie all that much. I found her character selfish. Noah I liked very much and wished he would find another girl to love. I just did not think that Allie's love, faithfullness and devotion matched Noah's.


Katee Hated the book, loved the movie!!! The book was very bland with almost no imagination or spark (no pun intended with the author's last name!) I think this book was the worst he has written, but surprisingly this was his first!!! The movie is A LOT better than the book:)


message 29: by Liza (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liza Doomy wrote: "...But the movie! It was wonderful and I cry every time I re-watch it. This is one of those ra..."

I get emotional everytime I re-watch it too. It is definitely on my Girls Night In list (along with Grease, Dirty Dancing, The First Wives Club, The Other Sister)


message 30: by Ben (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ben Xenia wrote: "but I have to admit that I did not care for Allie all that much. I found her character selfish. Noah I liked very much and wished he would find another girl..."

I did feel this, too. Really, really, liked Noah. I just feel sorry for him; when Allie was gone, he was lonely; when Allie came back, she got Alzheimer's. Just how unfair is that. :(


message 31: by Ben (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ben Katee wrote: "Hated the book, loved the movie!!! The book was very bland with almost no imagination or spark (no pun intended with the author's last name!) I think this book was the worst he has written, but sur..."

Agreed. They had the perfect cast. :-)


message 32: by Ben (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ben Doomy wrote: "The book was just confusing for me. I mean it's all over the place. Not one of his more notable works...

But the movie! It was wonderful and I cry every time I re-watch it. This is one of those ra..."


Omg this. :'(
[image error]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5oyin...


message 33: by Ben (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ben Melissa wrote: "I actually didn't care for the movie at all, but that isn't unusual. The only movies based on Nicholas Sparks' books that I liked were "A Walk to Remember" and "Message in a Bottle."

I enjoyed ..."


Really? But have you seen it?


Natalie I actually agree - I saw the film first and it's one of my favourite films. I decided to read the book and I was disappointed. It wasn't as good. That's definitely a first for me, I usually prefer the book!
I'm not a fan of Nicholas Sparks at all, as someone said near the top of this discussion, he's an average author.


Lilac I prefered the movie by far!
I've made a poll to see which most people prefer so please vote :D
http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/67461


Rachel i preferred the movie. i seriously could not stop crying at the second part of the movie


message 37: by Liza (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liza Rachel wrote: "i preferred the movie. i seriously could not stop crying at the second part of the movie"

dont forget the scene in the rain!

Why didn't you write me?
I wrote everyday for a year!

(All tingly in my tummy lol)


message 38: by Ben (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ben Liza wrote: "
dont forget the scene in the rain!

Why didn't you write me?
I wrote everyday for a year!..."


I waited for you! :'(


message 39: by Mar (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mar Jude wrote: "I've read the book last year and didn't like it at all; didn't hate it as well. Just okay. But I've always wondered why everyone seems to like it so much, and my guess is it's because of the movie!..."

Agreed! I felt the exact same way.


Camille White Jude wrote: "I've read the book last year and didn't like it at all; didn't hate it as well. Just okay. But I've always wondered why everyone seems to like it so much, and my guess is it's because of the movie!..."

Yeah, the only reason I gave it the rating i did was because i based my rating off the movie. Don't tell! :)


message 41: by Jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jo To be honest I have never understood why Nicholas Sparks so popular. He is an average writer. Maybe it is because his books translate well in to movies when a capable scriptwriter works on them.


Samantha Harbarcuk The movie is way better! Ryan gosling<3


message 43: by Ben (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ben Jo wrote: "To be honest I have never understood why Nicholas Sparks so popular. He is an average writer. Maybe it is because his books translate well in to movies when a capable scriptwriter works on them."

True! His books make great movies. Somehow I find his books sort of short-story-ish.


message 44: by Ben (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ben Samantha wrote: "The movie is way better! Ryan gosling<3"

Hahaha. <3 + Rachel McAdams.


Hailey The book was great, but the movie was MUCH better. First and foremost, the movie had WAY more cute stuff that the book did not. Also, Ryan Gosling is super attractive and that made me wish I was Allie. My favorite part of the movie was when they laid in the middle of the street and the "if you're a bird, I'm a bird" part. Ryan needs to marry me asap.


message 46: by Ben (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ben Hailey wrote: "The book was great, but the movie was MUCH better. First and foremost, the movie had WAY more cute stuff that the book did not. Also, Ryan Gosling is super attractive and that made me wish I was Al..."

Have to agree! I don't think the book would have been famous if it wasn't for Ryan and Rachel. :D


Jools The book is wonderful, and i really enjoyed the movie and i agree Ryan and Rachel made the film.

It's not often you can say you enjoyed both.


Michael One of the rare books where I preferred the movie.


message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read the book yet, but then again I'm not sure that I want to . . . the movie was so good that it would be hard to beat . . . But I have read The Last Song {AMAZING!!} and, ironically, haven't seen the movie yet . . . But I cried SO HARD at the end of the movie, it wasn't even funny :D

Just wondering: Has anybody seen that anti-piracy commercial in the movie theatres that is based off the scene in the rain? Nice way to take a beautiful scene and change it! I laughed so hard :)


Nevony I thought I was the only one who liked the movie better, glad to see, that I'm not alone.

Michael wrote: "One of the rare books where I preferred the movie."

This is what I thought, as well.
The book was a bit to romantic to my taste, the sort of book my grandmother reads. It was not that I really disliked it, but the movie is one of my favorites and maybe my expectations were to high.


« previous 1
back to top