Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's April Ketchup 3/4

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1368 comments 9)The Benefits of Gingerby Amanda Wilson(health) Source: Free Kindle Book Started: 4/8 Finished: 4/8

Why Read: I wanted to know more about ginger which is a favorite spice of mine.

Comments: This is a useful reference. I was surprised to discover that there are risks to consuming ginger under certain circumstances. Rating B

10)Plunderby Mary Anna Evans (mystery)296 pages. Source: Library Started: 4/13 Finished: 4/14 Note the gap in dates between book 9 and 10. I started and abandoned a number of books after my return from New York.

Why Read: I've been an irritable reader, but this is one of my favorite mystery series. Faye Longchamp is an African American archaeologist. Her husband who helps her with cases is a Native American of many talents.

Comments: The last Faye Longchamp novel that I read dealt with Hurricane Katrina. This one deals with the impact of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. The oil spill dwarfs the murder case which isn't very interesting. I really liked the teenager Amande who is making a podcast throughout the novel. It's a wonderful podcast. That's the best part of the book. Rating B.

11)No-No Boyby John Okada (historical fiction)260 pages. Source: used book dealer Started: 4/14 Finished: 4/15

Why Read: I found this book on author K.P. Kollenborn's website. I'm a fan of hers. She's the author of Eyes Behind Belligerence, the Japanese-American internment novel that I read and reviewed in March. This book is about a no-no boy. This means the MC is a Japanese American who refused to swear an oath of loyalty to the U.S. and refused to fight in WWII. But the book is written by a yes-yes Japanese American who did swear the oath of loyalty and did fight in WWII. That's very interesting. The novel appeared in 1957 and it sunk like a stone. The University of Washington brought it back into print. I'd never heard of it before.

Comments: I found it difficult to sympathize with the MC because he's so self-critical. I really loved his friend who is a WWII veteran. He was a wonderful character. I rated it B+ See my complete review in the April posts on my blog at http://wwww.maskedpersona.blogspot.com

12)Bridge of Scarlet Leavesby Kristina McMorris (historical fiction) 437 pages. Source: Paperback Swap Started: 4/16 Finished: 4/20

Why Read: I worried that I would overdose on Japanese American internment, but I've been looking forward to this one for a while. It's about a fictional Caucasian women who fell in love with a Japanese American and followed him into internment. I was astounded when this came up as available on PBS because the book is brand new.

Comments: I didn't really engage with the characters until late in the book. I think there were some missing scenes that would have fleshed out the characters more. I began to feel a connection with the MC when she established a bond with her mother in law. I really loved the book in the last hundred pages. Rating A-

To Be Continued...

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14297 comments It sounds unusual for you to have a gap like this, Shomeret!
Shomeret wrote: "10)Plunderby Mary Anna Evans (mystery)296 pages. Source: Library Started: 4/13 Finished: 4/14 Note the gap in dates between book 9 and 10. I started and abandoned a number of books after my return from New York."