Philadelphia Book Club discussion

restart club?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 3 comments Hi folks,

I'm new to Philly and miss my old book club. It doesn't look like this group's been meeting for a while but let me know if you're open to changing that. I loved the description of this club and would be very interested in finding others that feel the same.

Maggie

message 2: by Brianne (new)

Brianne Jeffrey (biolobri) | 1 comments Hi Maggie -
I'm new to the city myself and am looking to meet some new people. I also identified with the description and would love to be part of something like this. At the very least perhaps that two of us could choose a book & meet to discuss, although hopefully others would join us. Any interest?

Bri

message 3: by Mo (new)

Mo (momanklang) | 9 comments Hi Maggie and Brianne,

I'd be interested as well! I've lived here for a long time but I'm looking for more people to chat books with and to give me a bit of a kick to read more.

Mo

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I had one going before and it all kind of fell apart. People were not finishing the book and things along that nature but I would be willing to try again.

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 3 comments Hi guys, I had given up hope and stopped checking Good Reads but am excited that folks seem interested. I can't access the group that Michael posted but I would like to try and meet up sometime to select a book.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

If people are interested in starting a book club we should have an idea of tastes or options. For instance do we rule out certain books? Like Sci-Fi or Biography?

For example our group read fiction. Some of the books we read were Lucky Jim, Motherless Brooklyn, The Master & Margarita.

We would meet and each time one person would make a selection. So everyone got a chance to pick a book.

Another thing to consider is where we would meet. We were all in the city for instance so that was easy.

message 8: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 10 comments Michael wrote: "If people are interested in starting a book club we should have an idea of tastes or options. For instance do we rule out certain books? Like Sci-Fi or Biography?

For example our group read ficti..."

Is this happening? I'd be interested in contemporary fiction or memoirs - i.e. Caitlin Moran - How to be a Woman or Jeffery Eugenides, Tom Perrotta, Gillian Flynn. Anything interesting and fun. I'm in Philadelphia and would definitely be interested in something in the city.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I would be interested as well in Fiction, Contemporary or classics.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Memoirs and autobiography are good with me as well.

message 11: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 10 comments Well what are our next steps? Should we continue to use Goodreads to post or maybe start a Meetup group? We can pick a book, a date, and a meeting place. I think that at least to start, we should pick a book that also has a book club discussion guide available.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

What we had done in the past for the first time is we looked at some award list (not Oprah) and picked a book off of that list.

We also tried to figure out where in the city is a good place to meet. We always met for dinner and drinks but if people prefer just for drinks that is fine to.

Here is a list: http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2011.h...

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

that list does not look too hot.

message 14: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 10 comments I wouldn't mind reading Salvage the Bones. That was on my to-read list already anyway. I found this link to a discussion guide:
http://www.litlovers.com/reading-guid...

It would be good if we could get a few more people to commit - right now it's just me, Michael, and Christine who have been posting lately.

I think weekday evenings around 7 somewhere in Center City is a good idea. I'd be up probably just for drinks... we would want to find a place that has space that is relatively quiet. Maybe a place with an upstairs room like Jose Pistola's? I'm open to any other suggestions though.

message 15: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 5 comments I read aything- I would just love to have a bookclub to attend- I haven't yet found one in Philly, tough I have been here for a few years. Please keep me posted. Thanks!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Well if we had everyone on this thread that would be about 8 people that is decent to start with it.

Wednesday in the city is good for me after 7.

message 17: by Mo (new)

Mo (momanklang) | 9 comments Wow, I've been so busy with work I didn't see how busy this thread has gotten! I am definitely in, and interested in reading contemporary fiction as well as autobiographies. I haven't gotten around to looking at any of the suggested books but I will at some point this weekend. I will say that my schedule is pretty sporadic/busy, but if Wednesdays at 7 works for everyone that seems good to me and I'll make it as I'm able!

message 18: by Mo (new)

Mo (momanklang) | 9 comments Also- this week and next I will for sure not be around but don't let that stop anyone if you're jazzed to start reading! I am also fine with center city, as of Dec. 1 I'll be working at 15th and Chestnut so that would work great. There's a great restaurant called Caribou Cafe that might have a nice atmosphere, or Elixir... I suppose we should decide on whether dinner, drinks or coffee would be the best setting.

message 19: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 5 comments At this time, Wednesday nights aren't good for me, but I would love to be kept in the loop because my schedule is constantly evolving, and I would like to participate. Thanks!

message 20: by Mo (new)

Mo (momanklang) | 9 comments Let's try this:
http://doodle.com/m9mxnweb7iy9gk22#table

Just pretend like the dates don't matter, I listed the days of the week and threw out some times I thought might work. I thought this would be a good way figure out what day works best!

message 21: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 10 comments Thanks, Mo. I added my availability to your link. I could also meet this Wednesday at 7.30 in center city if others want to do that, too.

message 22: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 5 comments Awesome, I added my info to the doodle, too. Thanks Mo! This is funny, because I didn't realize it was you, Mo until I just looked at your pic in this last comment:)

message 23: by Mo (new)

Mo (momanklang) | 9 comments Kelly wrote: "Awesome, I added my info to the doodle, too. Thanks Mo! This is funny, because I didn't realize it was you, Mo until I just looked at your pic in this last comment:)"

Small world, eh?

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I just saw that Doodle you did and filled in my availability. We could pick a book based off of these messages and from there meet with an agenda instead of meeting to figure when we will meet and what book to pick.

So far there have been two mentions of Salvage the Bones. I am always open and then maybe we can either each pick a book a month or some other democratic method.

message 25: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 10 comments Michael wrote: "I just saw that Doodle you did and filled in my availability. We could pick a book based off of these messages and from there meet with an agenda instead of meeting to figure when we will meet and ..."

Well it looks like four of us are available on Monday or Tuesday of next week, but I won't be able to read the book that quickly.

message 26: by Mo (new)

Mo (momanklang) | 9 comments How about we do Monday Oct 15th at 7pm downtown

Options:
Smokin' Betty's
Elixr
Milkboy
Capogiro

message 27: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 5 comments Works for me- are we reading a book first or meeting to decide which book? Both have been suggested in the thread.
And I would be fine with any of those places, btw.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I am confused as well. What would be the nature to meet on Monday?

message 29: by Mo (new)

Mo (momanklang) | 9 comments oh, I was thinking about reading the book (Salvage the Bones) before then, or at least some of it. If we still want to talk about what book we're going to read, I would suggest we do it here!

message 30: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 10 comments I could read it in time to meet on 10/15. Are we all set on Salvage the Bones? I've never been in a book club before - are there any specific questions we should be looking at while we're reading, or anything like that?

I'm fine with any of those places, with the exception of Caprigiro because I wouldn't mind if this book club involved alcohol.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

If it is to have the book read then lets give it a little longer than 10 days. Why don't we meet on the 22nd and plan on having the book completed?

message 32: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 5 comments I will read the book first, would be fine with either Monday the 15 or Monday the 22, and second that motion to have drinks :)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Naomi there is nothing specific to read for. Just what you enjoyed or maybe did not enjoy about the book. Generally what was your impression is all you need.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Also we should see if Maggie and Brianne are interested.

message 35: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 1 comments Ah wish I could come! I just saw this now. I am on rotation up in Lehighton and don't get done seeing patients until 5PM, so I'll never make it down to Philly by 7PM. I vote meetings on the weekends so I can play too! :-)

message 36: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 3 comments Monday the 22nd works for me. I'll try and have some of the book read by then. Where are we meeting again???

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

We should decide where to meet for sure.

To Natalie I noticed a few people checked no weekend availability, including I. I have other responsibilities and would never be able to do a weekend, personally.

message 38: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 10 comments I believe that we are set on Monday, Oct 22 for Salvage the Bones. I would suggest either 6pm or 7pm, at Smokin' Betty's. 6pm is better for me, because I'd be coming straight from work, and that way I don't have to wait around for a while. But I am also fine if others want to meet at 7pm.

message 39: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 10 comments Gotta say - I am not enjoying this book. I'm 25% through.

message 40: by Mo (new)

Mo (momanklang) | 9 comments I am good with 6pm. I haven't started it yet, that's a bummer though Naomi.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Want to try Smokin Bettys at 6? Which I will have to look up. This is for Monday the 22nd correct?

message 42: by Collette (new)

Collette (confetticollette) I'm a bit late to the thread, but I'd love to join in! I'm not sure I'll have time to start Salvage the Bones this next week, but keep me in the loop for the next selection!

message 43: by Mo (new)

Mo (momanklang) | 9 comments So, I don't think I'm going to make it through this book. I'm on the same page as Naomi, I'm not really digging it.

I would normally suck it up and continue, but my schedule is crazy enough for the next week that I don't think I want to spend it cramming in a book that I really don't care for. Sorry everyone!

I guess I'll skip this meetup, and maybe join in on the next one, if that's ok. I suppose that might go against the very idea of the book club in general so I understand if that's not ok, I'll gracefully bow out :D

message 44: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 10 comments Well, it kind of looks like this thing is falling apart! I am going to finish the book, as long as I can do it in the next two days before my library loan expires, but I am not really enjoying it. I guess I should have known, as an animal lover, that a book about dog fighting is not for me, even if it was on the short list for the National Book Award.

I had an inkling that this group was not going to come to fruition, so I signed up for another through Meet Up, if anyone here is interested:
http://www.meetup.com/bookclub-577/

I plan to attend the Nov. 8 meeting, if anyone else wants to go, too. A Death in Belmont is definitely more my speed as well.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

This book is awful. I returned it.

message 46: by Jessica (new)

Jessica More are you all still meeting? I live/work in the neighborhood :)

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

No we never met up

message 48: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaanh) Hi!! I am an organizer of a small book club that meets in the city once a month, typically the first Tuesday. We are currently looking for additional female members between the ages of 25-35 to join us. Some of our previous books were: The Secret Keeper, Schroeder, The Fault in our Stars and Weird Sisters. Our June book is Cutting for Stone and our July book is Three Wishes. If any of you are interested, please email me at philadlephiabookclub@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you! Best, Shaina

message 49: by Sandeep (new)

Sandeep Is this group still meeting? I love to meet up because I work in Philadelphia.

message 50: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaanh) We are still meeting but we are a female only group. Sorry! Good luck finding another club.

« previous 1