Chatty discussion

Let's Talk Books > Who is your favorite bad guy?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

There is always the bad guy you love to hate in most every book. Who are some of your favorite?

Mine:

G.M. Dark from, Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury - I read this book every Halloween. Love it! And Mr. Dark's character enthralls me. The scene between Charles and Mr. Dark in the library gives me chills every time.

Iago from, Othello by William Shakespeare - What is there, really, to say about Iago, other than he is the definition of evil. Bad, bad man.

Alec Stoke (d'Urberville) from, Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy - He is just icky. Stupid and icky.

The Ring from, The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien - I know. Some of you might disagree about the ring being a character, but we had a long debate about this in one of my lit classes, and I decided it is. So there.

message 2: by Eliza (new)

Eliza (thelizardqueen) | 44 comments Mod
Artemis Enteri from the Legend of Drizzt books. Skilled assasin that's after the hero. Gotta love him! Wait, is this bad guys we love or bad guys we hate? *shrugs* Artemis gets my vote either way :oD

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Either. I love Mr. Dark, but Iago and Alec are icky.

message 4: by liz (new)

liz (lizevans) Count Olaf - The Series of Unfortunate Events
This is the ultimite bad guy. I found myself giggling all through the 13 books at just how evil he was and at his cunning and discuises. I love Count Olaf even though I was rooting for him to lose in the end.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Count Olaf -is- fun to hate and love. Have you read the last book? In the last book, my opinion of him sort of changed.

message 6: by Eliza (new)

I have yet to pick up a Lemony Snicket book. The name makes me want to eat those lemony girlscout cookies! But yeah, I saw the movie but have yet to read one :o(

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

The movie is a combo of the first three books, and not very well done.

message 8: by liz (new)

liz (lizevans) I did not like the movie. I'll just stick with the Unfortunate books. They're a million times better :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

The movie was horrible. The books are great.

message 10: by Eliza (new)

Then I should def pick up the books :oD

message 11: by liz (new)

liz (lizevans) Mckenzie wrote: "Count Olaf -is- fun to hate and love. Have you read the last book? In the last book, my opinion of him sort of changed."

In answer to your question, I have read all 13 of the books. I wasn't so impressed with the last book, but it was an ending even if it wasn't quite the rousing ending I was looking for.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought it was fun. I guess I wasn't looking for anything too deep, though.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael | 9 comments Hm, out of left field but...

Mordred from The Once and Future King, mostly for the sorrow he causes Arthur.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

That's a good one, Michael! I wouldn't of thought of Mordred.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael | 9 comments Also, I agree that the ring is essentially a character (or at least a manifestation of Sauron) in lotr.

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather Ingemar (heatheringemar) I agree about Alec Stoke, McKenzie. Icky, icky man. (Of course, I thought a lot in "Tess" was icky, but that's another story, lol).

Another villain (actually should be plural...) that just gives me the creeps are the Reevers, from the movie Serenity. *shudders* Now that's horrific, not just because of their madness, but also the things it makes them do. Icky icky icky.

Of course, that's not a book, so.......

I read a story in a fantasy/fairytale collection called "Snow White, Blood Red" that was a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, and the "wolf" in that one was just horrifically nasty. I feel dirty just thinking about it! lol.