What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Walkabout Woman
This topic is about Walkabout Woman
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Australian Aborigine Girl Coming of Age [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by scherzo♫ (last edited Jun 10, 2012 04:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 77 comments Read about 15 years ago, as the story starts, the young Australian Aborigine girl and her family are in the outback where her mother is teaching her connections to the country through walk-about. These beginning pages/chapter(s) are very moving.

The young girl is taken from her family and forced to go to white schools, speak only English and give up Aboriginal ways.

In the end she leaves Sydney(?) as a young adult to go walkabout.

I think it was on the library's adult shelves, but may have been YA. I've searched the library catalog several times, but have not found it there again.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments It doesn't really fit, but just in case, there is Rabbit-Proof Fence: The True Story of One of the Greatest Escapes of All Time. This is a non-fiction book. It's probably not the one, as you'd probably be remembering the more suspenseful parts of the story.

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 77 comments Sounds interesting, but not the one I'm looking for.
Thanks, though.

Melanti | 333 comments If the book you're remembering is fantasy and involves the Dreamtime, it might be this one.

Walkabout Woman

I can't find a summary online, but could give some spoilery details if you think this might be it.

message 5: by scherzo♫ (last edited Jun 11, 2012 07:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 77 comments Yes, I think that's the one.
I found a Kindle preview on Amazon and have ordered a paperback copy.
Thank you very much!

Melanti | 333 comments You're welcome