Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Vegan Cookbooks > Wild About Greens by Nava Atlas

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, We do have Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies shelved, and it's a book I want to read. Thanks for starting this thread. I'm off to check if my library has it.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Unfortunately, not yet. I've had it on my on-deck shelf so I'm really interested in it. I'll keep checking.

Don, I can't wait to see what you think of the recipes.

message 3: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (leekat) | 1027 comments Mod
This sounds like I book I would love! Yay for greens! I can't wait to hear what you cook up, Don.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Rats. My post didn't post.

The gist was the photo looks great. That I generally like my lentil soups thicker. BUT, that I can't wait for my library to get this book so I can borrow it.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks for that information, Don. I often use garnet sweet potato, or other foods, to thicken up soups/stews. Any kind of potato works well for doing that.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, How many of the recipes would have say have vegan meats vs. how many have naturally vegan foods? I prefer the latter. Either way, I'm still really interested in this book.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, It sounds as though it's definitely my kind of book. I'll keep checking the library. I might buy a copy for myself; I'll have to see. I'm excited about it. Thanks. I will read that review when I get a bit of time. Thanks for that too.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, I read your friend's review. Between your posts and that review, I'm really, really tempted to buy a copy of the book rather than just borrowing from the library for 3 weeks. I'm not really buying anything/books right now, but I'm sorely tempted. I'll obsess for awhile. ;-)

message 9: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I am doing a happy dance because my library has it on order! Yay!

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lee wrote: "I am doing a happy dance because my library has it on order! Yay!"

Yay!

I'm going to check my library regularly!

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I have this awful feeling I might buy this one. I'm hoping to at least borrow a library copy first though.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, Thanks. And that last dish, I'm salivating and I'm not even hungry.

message 13: by Rachel (last edited Jun 28, 2012 11:30AM) (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments Oh yummy ! I love sweet potatoes, and I'm always trying to make myself eat more kale, but for whatever reason, I feel at a loss for easy recipes and how to cook it. I mean, I know I can just steam fry the kale, but I always feel too lazy to do it. Anyhow, this sounds good ... I think the concept of being able to eat one of my favorite foods (sweet potatoes) would help motivate me to make the recipe ...

(I like the taste of kale, and I love the nutrition of it .. I just get lazy about actually preparing it ...)

Oh, and cauliflower is another food I wish I ate more of ... so this recipe sounds like a winner !!

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks for that kale tip, Don. I love kale but don't buy/make it very often, and the vegan restaurant where I most ate kale closed their location in my city; there is one not too, too far away, but I'm not over there that often.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) A copy is finally waiting for me at the library. I can pick it up next week. I'm very excited. It might be one I'll have to buy.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, Do you ever make recipes more than once, and any regularly? Given how much you cook, and how many recipes you've tried, I'd be particularly interested in any you've loved enough to get to more than once/frequently.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don wrote: "What can be annoying is that when I do come across an "OMG that is so good" dish, I don't eat it again."

Yes, that would drive me crazy. I do love your adventurous spirit though, and because of how you do it, we get the benefit about hearing about the very varied things you do make. Your pantry must be amazing.

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, It looks very appealing and pretty. And well stocked. Have you ever considered making a like of recipes you consider outstanding to have on hand in case you want to eat/make them again? Well, it is healthier to have variety and nobody I know has more variety in their diet than you do. That would be good for non-vegans to know, that you really can eat a different vegan meal all year long.

message 19: by Monica (new)

Monica I don't always have enough time to follow this group as closely as I'd like, but I recenlty bought this cookbook so when I saw Don's most recent update pop up on the daily digest I checked out the whole thread.

First, I just can't wait to try the recipes. Don's comments and especially the photos are so helpful! (I was actually very disappointed by the photos in the book.) We buy a lot of greens at our farmers' market and we usually end up sauteeing them with garlic, or steaming them and putting them into grain bowls. Gets kind of boring.

Next, I just wanted to comment on how Don doesn't make recipes twice. How awesome! I have a zillion cookbooks and with the majority I have make one or two receipes, or none at all! I have a few that I sort of cook my way through, but I am now inspired to do that with all my books. Part of the problem is that I am just too lazy to think about the new recipes and then have to shop for them, so I go back to the same handful, but I am now on a mission to use those "tried-and-true" receipes for back-up, and to use mostly new recipes.

Lastly, I LOVE hearing about pantries and love the photo Don posted. I always read the "vegan pantry" chapters in cookbooks. I recently read an old blog post that I just love looking at - here:
http://almostveganchef.com/2012/04/19...

I am grateful for this group!

message 20: by Lisa (last edited Sep 05, 2012 03:04PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Monica, So happy to see you posting. I also just bought Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies and the recipes look great, but I wish there was a really good photo to accompany each recipe.

Thanks, Monica, for posting the link to the pantry blog post. Fun to look at.

And, thanks again to Don, for contributing so much to this group, sometimes almost singlehandedly!

I never could cook all new dishes though. I have some favorites and I can't see not making them over & over again.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, Yes, I've noticed you make lots of lentil soups, and lentil soup is a staple for me too.

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, Hooray! And thanks for posting the link in the blogs thread.

message 23: by Monica (new)

Monica Lemony Wild Rice with Greens, Pine Nuts & Rasins
This was pretty easy to make but take a little over an hour to cook. Very tasty, but actually too lemony. There was too much liquid when cooking the wild rice, so I had to drain it off before adding it to the greens. It calls for two lemons (juice and zest) and I think one would be sufficient. My husband thought there were too many rasins, but I thought it was just right.

I took a photo, but I need to figure out how to show it to you!

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks, Monica. That's helpful feedback, and I really appreciate it because it's a dish I might try.

For the photo you can try to make sense of the instructions for image in the (some html is ok) link to the right/above. I think photos have to be on the web, not our computers but I could be wrong. Don?

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks, Don. Great solution for people who want to post to Facebook, or have a blog, or have other places online to keep/post their photos.

message 26: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Mmmmm, sounds pretty tasty. I'm never sure about raisins in recipes. I like them on their own and in some desserts but I've yet to become a fan in savoury dishes.

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I do love raisins in some curries and some pilafs.

message 28: by Monica (new)

Monica Here is the Lemony Wild Rice with Greens, Pine Nuts & Rasins

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43181191...

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Oh, this looks so delicious. I'll have to try this. All the ingredients sound great. I really appreciate photos of recipes from this book since there aren't photos for that many of the recipes in the book. Thank you, Monica.

message 30: by Monica (new)

Monica Thanks to you, Lisa, for the Flickr suggestion!

message 31: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Oh, that DOES look good! Wow, Monica is really cooking up a storm. Lucky for us!

message 32: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Don wrote: "Persian spinach with black-eyed peas and herbs

This is pretty good and simple. I used chick peas instead of black eyed peas. It has leeks, scallions, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Very tas..."

I wonder what it would taste like over kasha or wheat berries.

message 33: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I just picked up my hold copy from the library today!!!!! Whoopeeee!

message 34: by Monica (new)

Monica Sweet potato & Corn Stew with Hardy Greens

So good! This was not as thick as a stew is in my mind, but it was so delicious, and a great way to use up sweet potatoes I had left from Thanksgiving. Our Safeway has very affordable pre-washed, chopped greens, so I used a mix of "Country Greens" which was collards, mustard greens and turnip greens. I was able to whip this up farily quickly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43181191...

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Monica, It does look more like a soup than a stew to me, but it does look delicious.

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don wrote: "for some I think "stew" simply means that the ingredients are left whole and not purreed into a "soup"

Oh, I'll bet you're right, Don. It does seem that way. I almost always make both my soups and stews thick.

message 37: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "Don wrote: "for some I think "stew" simply means that the ingredients are left whole and not purreed into a "soup"

Oh, I'll bet you're right, Don. It does seem that way. I almost always make both ..."

I consider thin soups more of a first course, but when I make soups or stews, it usually means a meal (and I like thick soups and stews best anyhow).

message 38: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Mmmmmm, both your photos look awesome! So healthy and delicious.

message 39: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I know it's tiring to answer that over and over again. It's incredible just how ingrained that is in people's brains. I remember I was just the same!

message 40: by Mark (new)

Mark Young (markvictoryoung) | 24 comments Lee wrote: "I know it's tiring to answer that over and over again. It's incredible just how ingrained that is in people's brains. I remember I was just the same!"

It's funny you mention this - it has always driven me crazy, too. In fact, I just wrote a lengthy, occasionally sarcastic blog post about this, featuring an appearance by the Protein Fairy.

http://mondaysaremeatless.blogspot.ca...

The questions won't end, but at least we can have fun with it. I got some nice comments from vegetarians who read this post and could identify.

message 41: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Nice post, Mark! Since this seems to be the number one concern of those not on a plant-based diet, it's a question I'd like to master answering with ease and grace. Still working on it!

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I have to make that, Don. I love all the ingredients, and in the photo, the food looks so appealing. Ditto for much of what you make.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I love quinoa and chard and have learned to appreciate chickpeas at last. I must try this. I just got the book. Btw, Don, I appreciate your many review and the wonderful photos!

message 44: by Lisa (last edited Mar 05, 2013 07:57PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Looks amazing. I'm eating lots of greens these days, usually in soups, but I have to think about making them with whole wheat pasta dishes too.

message 45: by Stephanie (last edited Jun 09, 2014 05:27PM) (new)

Stephanie | 29 comments I received this cookbook a few months ago, but just started really cooking with it so I thought I would chime in with some input.

So far, I have made:

Pasta with Greens, Chickpeas, and Olives (Just made this tonight - great flavors.)

Roasted Beets and Fennel Salad with Beet Greens and Oranges (The only veggies I dislike are beets and eggplant, so I had to try something when beets came in our first CSA bag of the summer...this recipe was awesome, and we liked it served warm.)

Hoisin Glazed Bok Choy with Tofu and Soba Noodles (Awesome! I like Hoisin quite a bit, and the flavors of this all came together wonderfully. My omni husband couldn't get enough of it.)

Chard with Raisins and Pecans (Didn't like this one at all - maybe I should have left out the capers. I have a weird relationship with capers.)

So, we are 3 for 4 so far on this cookbook, and I anticipate it getting a crazy workout this summer since our CSA started last week! I will keep adding to the post as we sample from it.

One thing I would note - for the recipes I have tried so far, I have wished they had even more veggies in them - I would probably double the amount of greens for future recipes, if I am able.

message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks, Stephanie, for sharing all that.

I always leave out capers. I don't like them.