Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > For Whom the Bell Tolls

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 26 comments I have been commanded to read this, and I reeeeally don't want to. It's SO BORING! So far, anyway.

message 2: by Philip (new)

Philip Wait until the end. Then start bashing it on here.

message 3: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 26 comments Philip wrote: "Wait until the end. Then start bashing it on here."

But what if I can't get that far? what if I hate it so much I just HAVE to quit?

Bah! I say. BAH!

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) I haven't read it. I majored in English Lit and hated every minute that I had to spend reading Hemingway. I loathe him. Before I even went to college, I tried to read "The Old Man and the Sea" because it was supposed to be such great literature. I couldn't make it through.

I loathe Hemingway.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) | 10 comments Ditto here. I was forced to read Hemingway in High School and I despised the book with all my heart at the time. I believe it was A Farewell to Arms that I had to read. gah! I still despise that man.

Don't worry Clix, there are many who have found Hemingway loathesome.

message 6: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) It's not really his style that gets me. It's how darned depressing his writing is and all the stupid machismo.

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 14 comments Really anything by Hemingway is just dreadful.

message 8: by Dfordoom (new)

Dfordoom | 16 comments Poor old Hemingway. I think a lot of people are put off by the Hemingway image. And he's so very unfashionable among the PC crowd.

message 9: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 26 comments I hadn't ever studied Hemingway, so when I started reading FWTBT, I didn't know about his image. I just found the book purple and tedious. More angst than Jodi Picoult - and still I don't care. ;p

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) I find Hemingway tiresome, and I've never tried to read Jodi Picoult, but I like the comparison, so unexpected.

message 11: by Nate (new)

Nate | 1 comments This is Hemingway's best book. If you can't get this, you're not going to like him. I enjoyed the elegaic, meandering quality of this book. Everything just felt so real.