Lush Library discussion

The Sealed Letter
This topic is about The Sealed Letter
Past Group Reads > The Sealed Letter - here be spoilers

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirkel) | 1160 comments Mod
I haven't read it yet so if anyone can lead with some questions that would be great. I'll join in later on:)

Sarah  (scheherazade) | 364 comments Mod
I finished this last night. I enjoyed it, but it somehow wasn't as fulfilling a story as I expected it to be. I had pretty high expectations, I think, which didn't help, but the plot and characters seemed thin and sketchy to me. They never really came to be people I cared about, because I didn't know enough about them. Perhaps that was the point -- to put you on the same level as the jury.

I did like the ending, and the fact that Donoghue managed to keep one last twist hidden until the final pages If I'm honest, I saw it coming, but I appreciated the effort. I think perhaps Sarah Waters has ruined these kind of books for me. This isn't a patch on Affinity by Sarah Waters , which I thought was atmospheric, detailed, and clever. There's a book with real twists.

Anyway. I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed this more if I hadn't heard so much about it before I read it. I think the characters had the potential to be very strong, interesting people, so it's a shame they came across rather flat. I really did enjoy never knowing whether to trust Helen, though! That was probably the highlight of the book for me, and the thing that kept me guessing the most.

Not bad, then, but not great either. I gave it three stars.