Jane Austen discussion

PostAusten Reads: Modern Remakes > Prada and Prejudice

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah (last edited Jun 10, 2012 02:19PM) (new)

Leah (princessleia) | 87 comments Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard is a book inspired by Jane Austen works; NOT a retelling of Pride and Prejudice. In the story 15 year old Callie is on a class trip to England, friendless and bemoaning her circumstances. After an embarrassing incident in front of classmates she hoped would become her friends, she takes off to drown her sorrows in retail therapy. After buying a pair of Prada shoes, she trips and finds herself back in England circa 1815, mistaken for a friend of the family.
The book is funny as it shows the struggles of an American non-Austenites troubles trying to fit into a period she knows nothing about. Staying at the Duke's home; she and him class heads in a Darcy and Elizabeth way. Later on Callie channels Emma as she tries to hook up Emily, the Duke's cousin who Callie becomes very good friends with, with her true love instead of the man she is betrothed to. In the end Callie overcomes her prejudices against the 19th Century and the Duke realizing she was wrong about many of her assumptions.Later returning to her time a new person
Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard

message 2: by Leah (new)

Leah (princessleia) | 87 comments I found the character Callie very annoying at times, as she didn't know any of the customs of the times, history, and kept critiquing things she didn't understand. However, by the end of the novel I enjoyed it, as Callie caught on to how to live in the regency era. Most of all I enjoyed her American sassiness; there is a time when she is able to completely trump the Duke's mother, a Lady Catherine de Bourgh character, in true Elizabeth Bennet fashion.

message 3: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 600 comments I liked this book though I had to keep reminding myself that Callie is a teenager and wouldn't know about the customs of the era. The romance was sweet away.