Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Recommendations > College

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric Scot (youroddfriend) | 20 comments So I just finished Its kind of a Funny Story, which was great! And I also read The Perks of Being a Wallflower which is now my favorite book! Love then both, but I really wanna read done stories similar to these, but about college, or older. Any reccomendations? I'm just tired of High School stories. High school was hardly the most important thing that happened in my young life.

message 2: by Theo (new)

Theo I am the Messenger is about a guy who is college-age (18-19 years old, although he is not actually in college, he works as a cab driver).

Dark Dude is about a kid who is high school age (15-16), but he ends up leaving home and living with friends who are in college, so his life is more college-like.

message 3: by Theo (new)

Theo And if you are interested in fantasy, The Magicians is about a wizarding college. While it is fantasy, it still reminds me of books like The Perks of Being a Wallflower in the way it deals with the relationships of the different students. It's not Harry Potter for grown-ups, like I've read other places. It's not adventure and good vs. evil, it is much more a look at human nature, just set in a world where magic exists.

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) Here is a list of some New Adult novels (late teens, early 20s) that you might want to look through for some ideas http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/95...

message 5: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Moorer (sherrithewriter) If you don't mind a bit of self plugging, I recently published a book about a young woman that recently graduated college and struggles with depression. It's called Anywhere But Hereand is a mystery novel with a urban fantasy bend. Check it out if you wish - it's $4.99 and available through www.whiskeycreekpress , www.amazon.com/author/sherrimoorer , and http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/anywh... . You can check out a sample chapter at my website at www.sherrithewriter.com . I just thought this would be a good fit for you, since you're looking for an adventure beyond the high school realm.
Anywhere But Here by Sherri Fulmer Moorer

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Theo wrote: "I am the Messenger is about a guy who is college-age (18-19 years old, although he is not actually in college, he works as a cab driver).

Dark Dude is about a kid who is high school age (15-16), b..."

I second I am the Messenger :)

message 7: by Heidi (last edited Jun 11, 2012 10:08AM) (new)

Heidi Ok here is what I found in my read YA books with non HS aged kids (I rated these all 4 or 5 stars).

Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta and Where She Went (If I Stay, #2) by Gayle Forman