Pulp Fiction discussion

Books and Series > The Long Goodbye

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by George (new)

George Parker (gwptalking) | 10 comments As much as I enjoy all the details in The Long Goodbye I think the book would be better if Chandler had focused on the hardboiled detective angle. I think there is just too much side discussion on writing, chess, advertising, and blondes.

What do you think?

message 2: by Michael, Anti-Hero (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 279 comments Mod
I loved this book because Chandler stepped out of his comfort zone a little bit and tried to bring some other elements into his writing

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert | 3 comments Michael wrote: "I loved this book because Chandler stepped out of his comfort zone a little bit and tried to bring some other elements into his writing"

Agreed. TLG felt to me like Chandler's most daring and expansive book. A fully fleshed "literary" noir novel, similar to Mildred Pierce in its richness.

message 4: by George (new)

George Parker (gwptalking) | 10 comments I can't argue with your points. The Long Goodbye is my favorite Chandler novel, but I think the elements of the basic detective story are so strong that it would have been better for a tighter focus.

message 5: by A J (new)

A J  Evans (Sonofjoe) | 4 comments I read a Chandler last year but can’t remember its title, not sure if it was The Long Goodbye? However, I have just received the first three books to start my Chandler collection; The Big Sleep, The Long Goodbye and Farewell, My Lovely. I was going to start with The Long Goodbye but reading the above has somewhat given me a dilemma! Should I now start with TLG or one of the others?

message 6: by George (new)

George Parker (gwptalking) | 10 comments A J wrote: "I read a Chandler last year but can’t remember its title, not sure if it was The Long Goodbye? However, I have just received the first three books to start my Chandler collection; The Big Sleep, Th..."

If you plan on reading all his novels I suggest reading them in order. I think it's more fun to follow the evolution of Marlowe, LA and Chandler.
Enjoy

message 7: by Dennis (new)

Dennis | 35 comments Yes , read them in order published. Also you might want to check out the movie version of The Long Goodbye with Elliot Gould. It's been one of my favorites.

message 8: by David (new)

David Manuel | 121 comments Dennis wrote: "Yes , read them in order published. Also you might want to check out the movie version of The Long Goodbye with Elliot Gould. It's been one of my favorites."

The Long Goodbye is one of my favorite movies as well. Brief but significant role for Jim Bouton, author of the classic Ball Four.

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard Taylor | 17 comments David wrote: "Dennis wrote: "Yes , read them in order published. Also you might want to check out the movie version of The Long Goodbye with Elliot Gould. It's been one of my favorites."

The Long Goodbye is one..."

message 10: by Richard (new)

Richard Taylor | 17 comments Yes,Bouton was surprisingly good in that brief but pivotal role. I think the Long Goodbye and Farewell My Lovely were Chandler's two best. In LGB you got a sense of how much the city had changed since The Big Sleep. And to AJ: Yes,they should be read in order if possible.