The Study of the Mind: A Psychological Book Club discussion

Books You Want To Share > Favorite Psych Books?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelby, Princess (new)

Shelby (shelcatzoe) | 62 comments Mod
From reading the suggestion thread, Courtney said something that gave me an idea...we've all read psych books, and to help expand each others tbr pile, why not discuss them here?

One of my favorites is Prozac Nation. It's a memoir of depression that really sticks with you. It also has been made into a movie.

message 2: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Mine is An Unquiet Mind A Memoir of Moods and Madness by Kay Redfield Jamison Kay Redfield Jamisonbecause it is about a psychologist who explains her own struggle with Bipolar Disorder. Making you realize that no one is exempt from mental illness even people in the profession of Mental Health.

I think I have read it at least ten times. It is also a very easy read, I know sometimes things can be dry and I did not find this one to be dry at all.

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Zink Courtney: I really want to read the book you mentioned. It is now on my to be read list!

message 4: by Shelby, Princess (new)

Shelby (shelcatzoe) | 62 comments Mod
I read An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness a few years ago as well as another one of Dr Jamison's books, Touched with Fire: Manic-depressive Illness & the Artistic Temperament. Both were very interesting and very well written.

message 5: by Brent (new)

Brent (brently75) | 10 comments Mod
I have a number of favorites. Here are those off the top of my head:

1. The Secret Strength of Depression
2. Letters to a Young Therapist
3. Psychotherapy Without the Self: A Buddhist Perspective
4. The Myth of Sanity: Divided Consciousness and the Promise of Awareness
5. Psychology of the Future: Lessons from Modern Consciousness Research
6. Man's Search for Meaning

message 6: by Rozzer (last edited Aug 01, 2012 07:39AM) (new)

Rozzer | 1 comments Hi, Batter. It would probably be helpful if you inserted a few sentences for each book you list describing why you liked it. Not a real review but a brief blurb telling what the book's about. I'm particularly interested in your number 5: "Psychology of the Future." Great? Good? Mediocre? Bad? Why?

message 7: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Phipps (mlphipps1991) | 2 comments I absolutely love Letters to a Young Therapist. I read it for my Counseling Theories class and connected to Pipher's experiences, wisdom, and storytelling.

I also love Cutting: Understanding and Overcoming Self-Mutilation. This gives great insight into the struggles of these individuals, how therapy helps them, and how to involve the family. It also gives a lot of examples from his clinical practice.

message 8: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Reilly | 26 comments If you want to get a handle on the latest ideas about consciousness, Consciousness: An Introduction by Susan Blackmore is a good place to start. I read it to prepare for a Masters in consciousness studies and I suppose it does have a textbook feel to it but it's still an engaging read and gives a panoramic view of the work of the foremost movers and shakers in the field. It's the kind of thing you can dip in and out of. And of course, it would look good on the coffee table! Consciousness: An Introduction

message 9: by Gogo (new)

Gogo | 3 comments Hello everyone.. As a student I have read mainly psychology textbooks.. So I am really interested in your suggestions.. I have seen many suggestions for the Letters to a Young Therapist. One book I really like was the Intimate Death: How the Dying Teach Us How to Live from Marie DeHennezel (this is the link sorry I don't know how to insert it http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37...). She is a health psychologists and has worked with terminally ill patients in pain clinics. She writes about the last days in life of some of her patients. It is a very interesting book since you can see people doing a review in their life and see what they regret for, what they are proud of and more. Of course it is food for thought as to the things that really matter in life. I definitely suggest it.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 7 comments I also loved "The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog and Other Stories", by Bruce Perry. Very helpful thinking about clients attachment histories. Another helpful book is "When I say no, I feel guilty" by Manuel Smith. Addresses becoming more assertive and not being taken advantage of.

message 11: by Bethanne (new)

Bethanne (bethwriter) | 30 comments Mod
All of these books are great suggestions. My To Read list is growing!

message 12: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Reilly | 26 comments My favourite is The Discovery of the Unconscious: The History and Evolution of Dynamic Psychiatry, a panoramic overview of several centuries of psychiatry.

message 13: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Tell (vtell) | 4 comments The psych book that is now my all-time favorite isn't as much an "intellectual" book as some of these other recommendations, but I LOVE how it's REAL and often humorous, and it's my favorite book to recommend.

"What's Wrong With My Family? and How to Live Your Best Life Anyway" is the second book by a doctor and therapist with his sister (who writes fiction as well): Gary L. Malone and Susan Mary Malone.

On the cover is a picture of The Mad Hatter telling Alice and Rabbit "We're all quite mad here!" :)

message 14: by Bethanne (new)

Bethanne (bethwriter) | 30 comments Mod
I enjoyed "Group: Six People in Search of a Life" by Paul Solotaroff, who is a psychiatrist. The book chronicles six bright (yet remarkably self-destructive) people who participate in a dynamic therapy group led by Solotaroff.

message 15: by Virginia (last edited Aug 26, 2013 07:31AM) (new)

Virginia Tell (vtell) | 4 comments I forgot to mention the book giveaway for "What's Wrong With My Family? And How to Live Your Best Life Anyway."

Here's the link:
http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...

GOOD LUCK! I LOVE this book!

message 16: by Jurij (new)

Jurij Fedorov | 3 comments Evolutionary Psychology by David Buss.

One of the most informative books I have ever read.

message 17: by Stan (new)

Stan Bartkus (StanBartkus) | 4 comments "Evolutionary Psychology 101" is the top of my list.

message 18: by Neil (new)

Neil Hayes | 5 comments I have four favourite psychology books:

1. "The Mindful Way Through Depression", by Williams, Teasdale, Segal and Kabat-Zinn. This book tells us so much about the mind, and is not just for those interested in depression.

2. "Thinking, Fast and Slow", by Daniel Kahneman. OK, it is a best-seller so perhaps not a very imaginative suggestion, but what a summary of an extraordinary career!

3. "Manage Your Mind", by Butler and Hope. Another big seller. A compendium of techniques to manage the most complex thing you will ever need to master.

4. "Perception and Communication" (1967) by Donald Broadbent. Perhaps this is me being a little sentimental, but with good reason. Donald supervised my doctoral thesis and was like a father to me. He was a true pioneer, and I tell a story about him in my own book "A View from a Lake: Buddha, Mind and Future"

message 19: by Cassiopeia (new)

Cassiopeia (QueenCassiopeia) | 1 comments These are some of the books I love:

The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell We typically use this book for writing to create an effective character arc. The writer mixed mythology and psychology and talked about a man's journey.

Why We Love by Dr. Helen Fisher The book doesn't just focus on the chemistry of love, but also on the research done, and the psychology of love.