THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

Authors and Their Books > Self-pubished author seeking advice

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe Turbessi (joeturbessi) | 3 comments Hey all,

I'm a self-published author wondering if any of you that have been successful at it might share some things that did really well for you... perhaps some marketing you did that really worked or anything...

I appreciate any and all...

Joe

message 2: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 283 comments Joe, self promote, there's no one else who knows your product or you as you do.

Write press releases & follow them up.

Do give-aways (in a limited number).

Go to book stores, or small shops with a good following in your area (at first) & set up signings that you promote with press releases, etc.

Do you have a website or Facepage? Document everything you do there, plus pictures, etc.

The internet is also a trove of marketing tips, good luck.

message 3: by Boyd (new)

Boyd Lemon (goodreadscomboydlemon) | 67 comments Joe, I have had the best response by commenting or guest blogging on popular blogs that relate to the subject matter of my books and just leaving this signature line....

Boyd Lemon-Author of “Eat, Walk, Write: An American Senior’s Year of Adventure in Paris and Tuscany,” "Digging Deep: A Writer Uncovers His Marriages," the author’s journey to understand his role in the destruction of his three marriages and “Unexpected Love and Other Stories. Information, reviews and excerpts: http://www.BoydLemon-Writer.com.
Travel blog: http://boomertravelblog.com.
Retirement blog: http://FulfillingRetirementAdvice.com

message 4: by Joe (new)

Joe Turbessi (joeturbessi) | 3 comments Thank you both very much, definitely good advice..

Howard, quick question about Press Releases... I've always thought to do them, but where do you send them once you write them? Previous contacts? or is there a typical place to send them?

message 5: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 283 comments Joe all newspapers, especially local (and online), need fillers & look on press releases as a community service.

Your libary will have a list & Statewide is also a good idea. Proper form is easily found online.

The blurb should have contact info, or where the public can get your stuff.

Good luck.

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Puddle (trishapuddle) | 57 comments Joe wrote: "Hey all,

I'm a self-published author wondering if any of you that have been successful at it might share some things that did really well for you... perhaps some marketing you did that really work..."

Hi Joe, I've self-published four children's books as paperbacks and eBooks. At first my paperbacks sold more, but lately the eBooks are selling better.

Have you thought of publishing your book as an eBook? So many readers now have Kindles and other eReaders. You could be missing out on sales if you just publish as a paperback.

Paperback Giveaways on Goodreads help with sales. My ebook sales have also improved since I joined KDP Select on Amazon.

Twitter, Facebook and blogging all help.

I also sell paperback copies in local shops.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Montooth (andrewmontooth) | 5 comments Joe, there is a great website in the UK by author Joanna Penn called, The Creative Penn. She interviews indie authors who have been at it awhile. She has a trove of podcasts, videos, and blog entries going back years. The ones from 2012 cover what works, what doesn't, and helps you decide what might work for you. I highly recommend it.

That said, no amount of marketing/publicity will help if the book doesn't meet a certain level of public expectation in the "quality of writing" aspects. A lot of indie authors fail because of beginner mistakes. For that, there is a series just starting up on Seeley James that promises to be a good back-to-basics review.

Hope that helps!

message 8: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Woodland | 41 comments Joe, I second Andrew's comments about Joanna Penn. I first came across her in Australia about 18 months or more ago. I think last year she returned to the UK.
Selling your book can also be linked to your genre - at the moment the world is full of vampires, zombies, magic and flying children (not Peter Pan either),so if you are not in this genre you might find it an up hill climb.
Regardless, do not put your pen down, KBO
cheers