Struggling Writers discussion

71 views
Creative Writing Prompts > June 9, 2012: Poetry

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments This week we will be focusing on writing Limericks. They are a just for fun poem and are supposed to be funny and sometimes senseless but can help us in all forms of writing as they help spark creativity. Yours can be about anything as long as it follows the guidelines below.

The Limerick has a set rhyme scheme of : a-a-b-b-a with a syllable structure of: 9-9-6-6-9.

The rhythm of the poem should go as follows:

Lines 1, 2, 5: weak, weak, STRONG, weak, weak, STRONG, weak, weak, STRONG, weak, weak
Lines 3, 4: weak, weak, STRONG, weak, weak, STRONG, weak, weak


message 2: by L (new)

L Would it be possible to have an example, as it has been many years since writing limericks? x


message 3: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments No problem, here is one that is a good example:

The Man From Aruba

There once was a man from Aruba,
Whose favorite hobby was scuba.
Every day he would wish,
He could spear a big fish.
But settled instead for canned tuna.

By: J.P.


message 4: by Ilana (last edited Aug 18, 2012 08:00AM) (new)

Ilana (lamort) Two poets who couldn't agree
On whether it was moon or the sea
Spent half their allowance
To follow a flounance
And ended up with a degree

(my frist ever limerick, not so good but fun.)


message 5: by L (new)

L Ilana wrote: "Two poets who couldn't agree
On whether it was moon or the sea
Spent half their allowance
To follow a flounance
And ended up with a degree

(my frist ever limerick, not so good but fun.)"


I really enjoyed that x


message 6: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Ilana wrote: "Two poets who couldn't agree
On whether it was moon or the sea
Spent half their allowance
To follow a flounance
And ended up with a degree

(my frist ever limerick, not so good but fun.)"


Nice job Ilana. It is funny, makes a slight bit of sense, and has a good rythm to it. The point is to make it fun and for it to have a bit of sense.


message 7: by Ilana (new)

Ilana (lamort) Thanks Lucinda and Irene for the feedback.


message 8: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments No problem :)


message 9: by Elaine M. (new)

Elaine M. (brookibrik) | 50 comments Challenge limerick -failed-____________________

thirty love the umpire spoke
one tense match point on order
the ballboy readied, the throw began
they think the thing slipped out his hand or he had an opinion
since she caught the ball between her teeth and could not get it out
linesmen lined and pulled and tugged
then figured a trip to the dentists was the order of the day
the match was abandoned at teatime
three sets to two

my attenpt at a limerick failed but was a bit funny
___________________


message 10: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Elaine M. wrote: "Challenge limerick -failed-____________________

thirty love the umpire spoke
one tense match point on order
the ballboy readied, the throw began
they think the thing slipped out his hand or he had..."


Try to work on your timing and rhyming so it has a pattern to it. Other than that it would be good as it is silly.


message 11: by Elaine M. (new)

Elaine M. (brookibrik) | 50 comments Rhyming of course ! I've free-verse obsession, maybe a lost cause to rhyming. Apprec.feedback though.


message 12: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Elaine M. wrote: "Rhyming of course ! I've free-verse obsession, maybe a lost cause to rhyming. Apprec.feedback though."

Some poems have to rhyme and others are not so but learning to do both is a great skill to have.


message 13: by L (new)

L My Attempt:

The Wizard of wandwaving agreed,
That magic was just like a seed,
It grew tall as it grasped,
The magical skills at long last,
Thus leaving its fellow Muggle displeased!


message 14: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Lucinda wrote: "My Attempt:

The Wizard of wandwaving agreed,
That magic was just like a seed,
It grew tall as it grasped,
The magical skills at long last,
Thus leaving its fellow Muggle displeased!"


Not bad, maybe work on making it a bit more fluid but other than that it was nicely done.


message 15: by L (new)

L Thank you x


message 16: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (gabshi) There once was a goblin names Smee,
Who lived up in a forest tree.
He feasted on mites,
Other insect delights,
And died from the taste of a bee.


message 17: by Ingrid, Just another writer. (new)

Ingrid | 928 comments Mod
that was wonderful! gabrielle i really enjoyed your limerick. be careful with present/past tense verbs. other than that it was funny!


message 18: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Krupa | 23 comments There was an old which,
who lived in a ditch.
She had a great itch
and poor girl name Mitch
the witches skirt she had to hitch!

( The best I can do at the moment.)


message 19: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Danielle wrote: "There was an old which,
who lived in a ditch.
She had a great itch
and poor girl name Mitch
the witches skirt she had to hitch!

( The best I can do at the moment.)"


It's a fine start, but do pay attention to the guidelines in the first post if you want to write a "real" limerick as they have set standards. Altering it to your own taste is always fine though :)

The fourth line seems out of place, it doesn't flow as well as the others and doesn't blend well with the rest of the poem. It's short and funny though, so good job!


back to top