The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Lightning Thief discussion

Harry Potter or Percy Jackson

Comments Showing 1-50 of 194 (194 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Tihitina I would totally prefer Harry Potter but what do you guys think?

Gemma Percy Jackson is personally my favorite!

Andress Zepeda HARRY POTTER ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

percy

em Percy Jackson.

04AlisaC PERCY JACKSON!!!

Tihitina Do the people who said they prefer Percy Jackson even read Harry Potter?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Percy Jackson :)! Yeah, but Harry Potter drags on forever! However, Percy Jackson is action-packed!

Tihitina 7 books isn't even that much!!!I have read a series with like 20 books in it! Literally 20.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

The story-line of Harry Potter drags on.

Tihitina Well, I still prefer Harry Potter and besides isn't Riordan making another series about Percy Jackson that will be like 3 more books than Harry Potter?

Farhia PERCY JACKSON, I thought that it was more interesting and had more exciting parts than Harry Potter because i hated the 5th book, except the fight, since it went on forever and gave up during the last book and skipped to the end battle.

Rodrigo Harry Potter is engaging as Percy Jackson , i haven't read all of the Percy Jackson ones , but so far i like the harry potter stories as far as creativity goes,better. Percy gets more involved with the real world and the famous greek mythology which is cool as well, now don't get me started with the movies... Harry's are true to the book whereas Percy is one of the most inaccurate movies i have ever seen , but good in its own weird way.

Love both !

Farhia Rodrigo wrote: "Harry Potter is engaging as Percy Jackson , i haven't read all of the Percy Jackson ones , but so far i like the harry potter stories as far as creativity goes,better. Percy gets more involved wit..."

Your right about the movies though

Molly I love Harry Potter, but I do agree it kind of drags on.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Supergirl14 wrote: "Well, I still prefer Harry Potter and besides isn't Riordan making another series about Percy Jackson that will be like 3 more books than Harry Potter?"

Yes, the sequel to Percy Jackson & the Olympians actually will have 5 books in total. But my first point was meant to mean that the story-line of Harry Potter drags on, not the number of books. Sorry.

Tihitina Well, I suppose it is long but I still prefer Harry Potter. I mean who can resist the boy who lived.

Elizabeth Percy Jackson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HATE HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 19: by em (new) - rated it 5 stars

em Elizabeth wrote: "Percy Jackson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HATE HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

agreed.

Tihitina If you guys like the Hunger Games, sign up for the Hunger Games Role Play at: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

message 21: by Hai (last edited Jun 12, 2012 04:14PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hai I actually preferred Harry Potter to Percy Jackson. More for the fact that the characters were more lovable to me. I've only read the first Percy Jackson book, but it just seemed to me like the author was just jamming in anything mythological, just so it'd be in there. The characters didn't seem to have much depth either. Like the tom-boy chick who always likes to fight, and the satyr protector friend. One other thing that kind of irked me was that it just seemed like the author added things to the protagonist, that would make kids reading the book feel better about themselves, rather than have an actual purpose. For example, (view spoiler)

Now don't get me wrong, I did like parts of the book, such as (view spoiler) I also liked the idea of names. How knowing ones name took away from your power, or something like that.

All in all though, I found Harry Potter to be a more engaging read. it builds up alot of steam and the end does deliver (in my opinion) a good finale.

message 22: by Mina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mina Hai wrote: "I actually preferred Harry Potter to Percy Jackson. More for the fact that the characters were more lovable to me. I've only read the first Percy Jackson book, but it just seemed to me like the aut..."

I totally agrre with you :-)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

PERCY JACKSON!

message 24: by Tihitina (last edited Jun 15, 2012 07:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tihitina If you think about it though both Harry Potter and Percy Jackson have a similar story line. Harry and Percy are both trying to save the world. Both of them have one female (Annabeth and Hermione) and one male (Ron and Grover) companions. Both end with the hero being some one unexpected (Snape and Luke). Both didn't know what they were (Wizard and Demi-God) before some unexpected thing happens. Both are chosen for something in some prophecy. Both end up saving the world.

Johnathan I love Percy Jackson. With that being said i grew up on Harry Potter. So my vote goes to HP

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

PERCY JACKSON!

message 27: by Hai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hai Neesh_satsumaXD wrote: "PERCY JACKSON!"

come on, really? at least give reasons why you like it. typing it out in all caps over and over doesn't change minds

Sydney Totally Percy Jackson! There is so much action and adventure! Harry Potter takes a while before it gets really good. Percy Jackson is good throughout the whole series! It's amazing!

Josephina I love them both for different reasons. I think the Harry Potter books had a more flushed-out world. Something in book 6 would call back to book 1 in a way that was really clever and added a certain depth to the books.

That said, Percy was thoroughly charming. Not the movie *shudder shudder* but the books. I loved that I would be reminded of some of the Greek mythology I read over a decade ago.

Harry introduced a new mythology. Percy made Greek mythology, which can be a bit obscure for kids the target-age of these books, accessable and fun. And there are a number of corollations in the books. Harry and Percy have a lot in common, which isn't terribly surprising since they both follow a certain archetype. They both have a girl friend, who's way smarter than they are. And they have the "comic relief" friend who...well, at least in one case, seems to be divisive in fandom, so I won't continue that thought.

I do appreciate that the Percy books don't seem to be as divisive in fandom as the Potter books were (what I've seen of the Percy fandom, at least). Not saying that makes one book better than the other, but it's nice to not feel like a random comment could start an all-out war. Then again....Potter had some pretty awesome conventions.

If I'm just judging the quality of the writing, I do think that Rowling was a better author. Riordan's a very good author, as well; I'm not saying he isn't. But I think Rowling wove a tale that (while not perfect) was just so extraordinarily well done, in the way that everything tied in together and she would set up some things four books before the payoff.

But, then again, book 5 of Potter always makes me feel like I'm sucking a sandwich through a straw, whereas I smile every time I pick up one of the Percy books and I don't ever feel like I'm struggling to get through it because I want to strangle the main character for being an annoying teenager. (It was well done; he was very much a teenage boy in book 5. I just don't like teenage boys for a reason.)

So I love them both, for very different reasons. Potter is better crafted and a more three-dimensional world. Jackson is lighter, in some ways less painful to work through (both in that there isn't a book 5 to get through and it doesn't rip out your heart like Potter does), and it gives you a sense of Greek mythology in an entertaining and easily accessable way.

Long explanation short (too late), if I had to choose, I'd probably say that I prefer Harry Potter, but I'll probably re-read the Percy Jackson books (which I can breeze through in a couple days) before I re-read the Potter books (which you just have to devote a week to, as it's hard not to try to find foreshadowing and other things in them that you might have overlooked before).

Michelle Mcilvoy While I enjoyed the Percy Jackson series a great deal, I will have to say that Harry Potter is the winner hands down for this one. It is one of the best series every written and will remain so for a long time. The Harry Potter series is so full of wonderful characters and situations that all come together in the end.

Also, as a hero, Harry Potter has so many more facets. He is changing and maturing through the series. While he basically a good person, J.K. Rowling does an excellent job of showing his doubts and fears and some less than virtuous thoughts he struggles with.

J.K. Rowling was no afraid to kill off main characters, although that is risky in a series where fans come to know and love the characters. It was difficult to deal with characters I had come to love, however it did add a touch of realism to what was obviously a fun, fantasy book.

I too have reread the Harry Potter books many times and every time I seem to find something in there I missed or didn't realize the importance of.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Hai wrote: "Neesh_satsumaXD wrote: "PERCY JACKSON!"

come on, really? at least give reasons why you like it. typing it out in all caps over and over doesn't change minds"

theres a lot i like about it!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

omg...im sorry, i cant decide!! theyre both so amazing!!! BOTH!!!! (but i think im bit more of a potterhead than percy fan :P)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Harry Potter! Harry Potter for the win! Michelle, your essay (sorta kinda :) ) was wonderfully written and I agree with it :)

Tihitina Potter is the best!!!!!!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Supergirl14 wrote: "Potter is the best!!!!!!"

i dont agree with you, but i respect your opinion.

Johnathan Supergirl14 wrote: "Potter is the best!!!!!!"

i wouldn't go as far as to say its the best book series out there. I just enjoy it more than Percy Jackson( which i also enjoy.)

Kayleigh Harry Potter
I'm not a big fan of either book series, but Harry Potter is in general more interesting and has so much more of a story line to it.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that Percy Jackson has more of a story line, and if you've read the second series, you'll sort of know what i mean

message 40: by Tihitina (last edited Jun 16, 2012 01:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tihitina I agree Harry Potter can get a little boring some times but generally J.K. Rowling is a better author. Not that I don't like Rick Riordan...he is 1 of my favorite authors ever. But still, Harry Potter is better than Percy Jackson without a doubt.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Bianca Hai wrote: "Neesh_satsumaXD wrote: "PERCY JACKSON!"

come on, really? at least give reasons why you like it. typing it out in all caps over and over doesn't change minds"

Okay fine. After a while Harry Potter went from great to good. I did love the plots but I found myself flipping through pages I hadn't read just to stop myself from being informed and start getting some ACTION. I never did that with Percy Jackson and with the first person I related with the characters MUCH more. Riordan found a way to make my Greek history more fun haha(: sooo PERCY JACKSON 4EVA!!!!

Christian Percy Jackson for me...

Aidyn omg hard....

i cant decide!!! percy jackson is a little more laid-back, while harry potter is all in-your-face-ish but yea....

but harry potter drags on, while percy jackson is a little but more fun to read, so percy jackson!!!

Danndara lopes percy jackson i mean who rights about harry any more! Not that the author is bad but i tryed reading harry poter i got bored! Just my opinon

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

message 47: by Hai (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hai Danndara wrote: "percy jackson i mean who rights about harry any more! Not that the author is bad but i tryed reading harry poter i got bored! Just my opinon"

Perhaps nothing else is written of Harry Potter because the series is over.

Pari {Ridhee} Go Percy Jackson!!!!

Ashlet definitely harry potter!!!its all about magic!

Selena PERCY JACKSON ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have read the harry potter series, and for me, harry potter is LAME. I had to basically drag my self to finish reading harry potter than when i read perch jackson- which made me get more exited and btw made me get a 103 in my english project i really domt care if i have to reread the book series it always has me exited and always makes me laugh when i read a funny part SO PERCY JACKSON FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!! :D

« previous 1 3 4