City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion

Is the main character anything like Bella Swan?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Ivana I'm thinking of reading it, and if she is, please tell me so I don't waste my time.

Lint Hell to the no.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

No, she's not. Clary is more independent and a way better main character. Until she officially starts dating Jace in the 4th book. But, even then I can't describe her as Bella Swan, just a little more interdependent. Definitely read the books, they're totally worth it and Clary isn't the only main character, there are so many more interesting people in the books. :)

The Cover Contessa In no WAY SHAPE or FORM! UGH!

message 5: by Ina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ina Nope. Not at all.

Elizabeth NO!!!
If she was I wouldn't have read all the books.

I HATE TWILIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heather Emily Absolutely not.

Astoria Nah. I like her to a point. My favorite female character is Isabel though.

I think Clary is more outgoing, and not as drama queen as Bella. Thankfully Clary never sees her life as unworthy or never falls into depression -at least during the first 4 books, I haven't gotten to the latest one- She stands up for herself and ultimately she does make her own decisions unlike Bella, even when it concerns Jace.

However Magnus Bane is worth reading any book. He is the MOST amazing character ever. If you won't read it for Clary or Jace, then you should read it because of Magnus, He is the best Bisexual character ever, I leave to read his lines on both series. ♥♥♥

Emily God no. If she was I'd probably stop reading the books. Clary is independent, she doesn't mope around or anything.

♥ Alexia -Team Malec ♥ No, No, Not really.

♥ Alexia -Team Malec ♥ Astoria Malfoy wrote: "Nah. I like her to a point. My favorite female character is Isabel though.

I think Clary is more outgoing, and not as drama queen as Bella. Thankfully Clary never sees her life as unworthy or nev..."

AGREED! :)

message 12: by Esti (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esti Heck no!

Halena W NNOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not AT ALL.

Darlene Clary is annoying, but not Bella Swan annoying.

message 15: by Farhia (new) - added it

Farhia hell no, Clary is way better

message 16: by Farhia (new) - added it

Farhia Elizabeth wrote: "NO!!!
If she was I wouldn't have read all the books.

I HATE TWILIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

SAME HERE!!!

Cassidy No not at all. Bella is whiny and annoying whereas Clary is ambitious and doesn't complain about her life all the time.

message 18: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Clary is so different from Bella.

Margarita Why is this discussion even excisting?Obviously Clary is way better than Bella. Things that make Clary cool: has red hair, has freckles *freakles are awsome!*, watches anime and reads manga and finally, has a much cooler,sexier boyfriend!

Ayeiska In no way shape or form is she like Bella Swan. She happens to actually do things and later on in the series she learns to fight and do things herself. She also happens to think for herself and doesn't let one thing or person cloud the rest. She's a very strong character and has a pretty good personality. I would recommend these books their really good and if you've been craving female characters with a brain, this series is a good choice.

Maeryn Bella is a moron. Clary isn't.

Johns ......... That's a trick question, right? Bella is a whiney girl that wants to ruin her life. Clary wants to improve others. Clary is awesome. Bella is NOT!

Halena W Exactly.

message 24: by J.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.D. Field Clary is a tough little thing, though sometimes she lets her boyfriend be a bit of an ass - which IS like Bella...

Halena W I don't think anybody can stop Jace from being an jerk sometimes....

message 26: by Elena (new)

Elena Thomas ^agreed.

Lauren Readsalot HOW DARE YOU MAKE THAT COMPARISON!!!!! Oh, and to answer your question, HELL NO!!!

Johns That is what I thought.

Helen Stevens Eva wrote: "No, she's not. Clary is more independent and a way better main character. Until she officially starts dating Jace in the 4th book. But, even then I can't describe her as Bella Swan, just a little m..."
Argh, spoiler!!

Halena W OK..... A bit over-the-top.....

Constance Besides the same sex (debatable on Bella's part she could just be a she-male) No Clary although isn't the best at defending herself (she did only just start training) she is just more awesome.

message 33: by Yj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yj Constance wrote: "Besides the same sex (debatable on Bella's part she could just be a she-male) No Clary although isn't the best at defending herself (she did only just start training) she is just more awesome."

LOL this post made me laugh ^ ahahhaha "she-male" LOL

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

HELL TO THE NO!!

Karina Abreu No-no-no.

Clary isn't like Bella, not at all.

I don´t like both of them, but Clary is way cooler. lol

Simplyminali nope, clary is the heroine and bella is the one who needs to be saved. i like clary wayyyy better than i like bella

GinAndCats NO...just...no.

Halena W Ha.

Carolina NOOOOOOOO!!!

Halena W No to what????

Carolina She's not

Halena W She's not wha- oh.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

ofcourse not..........
dont expect MI's gud stuff from twilight
NEVER!!!!

Bronze Definitely NOT!!!!
Clary can actually do something HELPFUL other than sit around and mope about her boyfriend. Well, Clary DOES think of her boyfriend, but she actually thinks of things other than that. Bella is useless, Clary is indispensable. That is that. Why even ask the question to begin with? That's like asking someone if Bella is comparable to Hermione....

Bronze Margarita wrote: "Why is this discussion even excisting?Obviously Clary is way better than Bella. Things that make Clary cool: has red hair, has freckles *freakles are awsome!*, watches anime and reads manga and fin..."

True!!!!!! Totally, 100% agree with this.... You are my new hero!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clary is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much aweseomer than stupid Bella Swan!!!!!!!!!!!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

bella swan waits for her boyfriend to do everything,whereas clary does some stuff.
bella is superrrrrrrrrr weak!!

message 48: by Mig (last edited Jun 16, 2012 01:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mig What is this? Your asking us if Clary's like Bella?
You have to read a book by it's story, not the characters!
It's like your judging a book by it's characters.
No matter how annoying a character is, by the end, the most important is how you enjoyed the story, not the characters okay?

Oh and my answer to your question is, NO TO THE FREAKING NO.

Bianca Ugh. NOT EVEN CLOSE. I despise Twilight sometimes and that's always cuz of Bella. The dead grandpa.....the dog...the blooddrinker......the cat chaser.... I couldn't take it!! But Clary knows what she wants and I could find myself being friends with her in real life. Not whiny little Bella.

Samantha The Escapist Since everyone is saying why she's not I'll tell you her negatives so you can start the series fully armed.

Clary is a fairly underdeveloped character, like Bella. She lacks a lot of Bella's fatal flaws but as is the norm for YA fiction these days Clary isn't very realized as a person. She is defined only by the things she likes and likes to do rather than evident personality traits.

She has a rebellious streak and she has a few creative problem solving skills and a big huge difference between her and Bella is that Clary can handle the pressure without getting all wrapped up in herself. BUT at the end of the day, somewhat like Bella, Clary's key defining feature is that she is a young girl very much in love.

In general she is much better but the series (though I like it) is still somewhat poorly written in my opinion. Great ideas, mediocre exocution. But as others have said, the other characters of the series make it worth any problems you might have with Clary (and she improves over time, unlike Bella) plus as the books continue you get to see more and more different POVs.

« previous 1