Victorians! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations Archives > July 2012 Book nominations

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) (last edited Jun 10, 2012 06:08AM) (new)

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) We will take your nominations for our chosen author, Edgar Allan Poe, to read during the month of July 2012.

Since Sir Arthur Conan Doyle finished a very close second, we will also take nominations for a novel of his to be read alone or in conjunction with the chosen Poe book.

This thread will close in five days. Thank you!

message 2: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 401 comments Since the idea was to read Victorian mystery, I suppose we should look at Poe's mystery stories. I find the following wikipedia article useful to categorize his stories - if you scroll down past the list of poems, the chart for the stories contains a column for genre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Al...

The mystery (or 'detective fiction') stories are:

The three Dupin stories:
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Mystery of Marie Rogêt
The Purloined Letter

Thou Art the Man ('detective fiction/satire')

I also consider The Gold-Bug a mystery, although it is categorized there as 'action'.

How many stories should we read for this? Should we just stick to mystery, or should we also read some horror? I think that, as far as mystery goes, the Dupin stories are very important as the first detective stories that were imitated by so many authors to come (including Conan Doyle).

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Thanks, Denise!

Realizing that Poe's books are generally short, we thought that we would also ask for nominations for a book by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle to read with either alone or in conjunction with the Poe selection. We would like to keep it in the "mystery" arena with perhaps reading something considered horror later on. (perhaps October :))

I think these are Doyle's mystery books...

A Study in Scarlet (1887) The Sign of the Four (1890)

Story
collections
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1892) The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (1894)

I have not included his works after Queen Victoria died.

message 4: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 401 comments What might be interesting, rather than reading them in parallel, would be to read Poe's three Dupin stories, and then follow them with some Holmes stories. That would give a great chance to see how the Dupin stories influenced Doyle when he wrote the Holmes stories.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Very true...well I am always game....
The Poe stories are short enough I believe....

Hopefully, some others might agree as well.

message 6: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1424 comments In the nomination thread a couple weeks ago, Susanna nominated a nice Modern Library collection that includes The Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Mystery of Marie Rogêt, and The Purloined Letter. That ought to give us a nice introduction and amount to discuss, so I will nominate that too.

The Dupin Tales: The Murders in the Rue Morgue

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Sounds great to me, Sarah!

message 8: by Sera (last edited Jun 11, 2012 07:40AM) (new)

Sera I support the idea of doing a series of Poe's works, followed by a few of Doyle's mystery works as described above. Therefore, I nominate A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four. These are Sherlock Holmes books #1 and #2 in one volume.

message 9: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 401 comments I have Poe's complete works, but I love that the Dupin stories have been issued in one volume to make them readily available on their own.

I will nominate The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, to give a choice between the novellas and short stories.

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex Love the idea of following Dupin with Holmes! Susanna's nomination-by-proxy is great. (Those three stories also appear in lots of other Poe collections.)

Study in Scarlet is the first Holmes story and a novella; unfortunately, it's not at all Doyle's best work.

I've always agreed with this list of the best Holmes stories as polled by "Sherlockians around the world;" Adventures is their favorite collection.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) This sounds like it is going to be so much fun. Thank you everyone...

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 628 comments I like A Study in Scarlet OK - but I also think Adventures is the best single volume of Sherlock Holmes.

A Study in Scarlet is the best way to meet Mr. Holmes, though, I think.

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex Susanna wrote: "A Study in Scarlet is the best way to meet Mr. Holmes, though, I think."

Yeah, I guess... *sulkily* But gah, that one part! You know the part.

message 14: by Louise (last edited Jun 12, 2012 12:57AM) (new)

Louise Alex wrote: "Yeah, I guess... *sulkily* But gah, that one part! You know the part."

Yes I do. It's painful isn't it?

I tend to agree though, the Dupin tales followed by Holmes sounds like a good plan (though I've already read all the Holmes very recently) and A Study in Scarlet probably is the best one if the aim is to look at how the detective genre evolved. People should just bear in mind that Doyle/Holmes gets significantly better.

If we're wanting to do the best Victorian detective stories though I would skip straight over the first couple of Holmes novels and go for The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes instead. It doesn't really make much of a difference what order they're read in after all and (with the exception of Hound of the Baskervilles) the short stories are generally better than the novels.

message 15: by Sera (new)

Sera Does it matter if we go out of order? Are there spoilers if we go this route?

I'm open; I just have a "thing" about reading out of order so I'm looking for some comfort here ;)

message 16: by Alex (last edited Jun 12, 2012 06:47AM) (new)

Alex Nah, there aren't spoilers really. Feel free to contradict me, anyone, but I don't remember a whole lot of character development in these stories, except for the one in "The Final Problem," which sortof doesn't count. Holmes abides.

message 17: by Sera (last edited Jun 12, 2012 12:34PM) (new)

Sera Alex wrote: "Nah, there aren't spoilers really. Feel free to contradict me, anyone, but I don't remember a whole lot of character development in these stories, except for the one in "The Final Problem," which s..."

Ok, good. Thanks, Alex.

Then either way in which we go here is fine with me as it relates to Holmes.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 628 comments Alex wrote: "Nah, there aren't spoilers really. Feel free to contradict me, anyone, but I don't remember a whole lot of character development in these stories, except for the one in "The Final Problem," which s..."

That's my understanding of things as well.

message 19: by Louise (new)

Louise Alex wrote: "Nah, there aren't spoilers really. Feel free to contradict me, anyone, but I don't remember a whole lot of character development in these stories, except for the one in "The Final Problem," which s..."

Pretty much. In fact Doyle's a bit rubbish at remembering his own continuity at times (whether Watson was shot in the leg or the arm, how long he was actually living with Holmes before he married etc. etc). So with the exception of 'The Final Problem' and 'The return of Sherlock Holmes' it's very easy to dip in and out in whatever order you like.

message 20: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 1290 comments Louise wrote: "...I tend to agree though, the Dupin tales followed by Holmes sounds like a good plan (though I've already read all the Holmes very recently) and A Study in Scarlet probably is the best one if the aim is to look at how the detective genre evolved...."

The Readers Review: Literature from 1800 to 1910 has selected A Study in Scarlet for July/August, so these two boards seem in sync the next month for those interested and able to juggle both!

message 21: by Alex (new)

Alex Lily wrote: "The Readers Review: Literature from 1800 to 1910 has selected A Study in Scarlet for July/August, so these two boards seem in sync the next month for those interested and able to juggle both! "

OMG it'd be like a superhero teamup!

message 22: by Sera (new)

Sera Lily wrote: "Louise wrote: "...I tend to agree though, the Dupin tales followed by Holmes sounds like a good plan (though I've already read all the Holmes very recently) and A Study in Scarlet probably is the b..."

I'm going to try to juggle both even though I'm likely to be unsuccessful with all of the reads that I have going currently and scheduled to go.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.