Chicks On Lit discussion

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:32AM) (new)

Tera | 2536 comments Mod
You voted and the two clear front runners where...
the envelope please...
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle (nominated by Holli)
and
Jane Eyre (nominated by Jackie)

Keep a look out for these two books and Meg will be leading the discussion in Holli's place for Sawtelle and Jackie will begin the discussions in March.

message 2: by Holli (last edited Jan 08, 2009 06:59AM) (new)

Holli Actually, Meg is going to be stepping in for me if that's ok Tera? :) I'm going to be going to San Diego for part of that month to see my family and I don't think I'd be able to do the discussion justice. Its a great book so I don't want to shirk it in any way at all. Meg will do a fantastic job and I love that she's doing this for me!! Thank you Meg.... :)

message 3: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2536 comments Mod
No problem at all thanks for letting me know.

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Tera, I was thinking.......I know scary thought.
Why don't we scatter the book schedule. Have one book the first two weeks of the month and then the other book the last two weeks of the month? It might be more doable for people. Just a thought.

message 5: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2536 comments Mod
Let's get some discussion going on this. Here are some of my questions.
Do others want this?
Will those who only want to read one or the other be slowed down or hurried through if the discussion starts/stops half way through the month.
Do many plan on reading both books in a month?
Would the book at the beginning of the month have their discussion moved to archives by the second week?
Would the second weeks book not be given discussion starts until the middle of the month?

Im game for it if people want it but lets consider those questions as we go forward.

message 6: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments What my vision was that one book would start and keep it up there all month for those who are lagging. But those who are quicker readers can be involved with both.

For the first month I am definitely doing both Heretic's Daughter and The Gargoyle. Finished the first and started the second. I no longer have a life other than work because I am reading away.

message 7: by Thauna (new)

Thauna I think that since most seem to start reading before the month even starts we should just have both discussions going concurrently. Then no one has to be held by the discussion schedule of first of the month/last of the month...I'm picking up The Gargoyle today or tomorrow, but I'm still number 12 on the list for The Heretic's Daughter. And what if someone else has the opposite situation? Just my 2 cents.

message 8: by Bloomin’ChickJo (last edited Jan 08, 2009 03:56PM) (new)

Bloomin’ChickJo (bloominchick) I thought the point of having 2 books per month was that we can chose to read both or pick just one and that the discussions would run concurrently! (Which also helps with those who aren't able to get a book on time because of the long waiting lists). 2 weeks per book seems a bit rushed, especially with all that's going on in general.

I'm planning on reading The Heretic's Daughter but not Gargoyle as I have so many new arrivals from Christmas that I'm itching to get to.

I plan on reading both Edgar Sawtelle and Jane Eyre (though I'm a little less enthused now about JE having pushed thru The 13th Tale!) - I have JE already but have been on the waiting list at the main library for ES since last year. I lucked into it in Oct or Nov at a smaller branch but wasn't able to finish it as there was a hold on it. (I put my request for it up on the Trading Post - hint hint!)

message 9: by J. (new)

J. Tayse (mrstayse) | 23 comments Jo wrote: "I thought the point of having 2 books per month was that we can chose to read both or pick just one and that the discussions would run concurrently! (Which also helps with those who aren't able to..."

I like having both going at once also. Of course I am new and haven't done it yet LOL. But I am going to read both books! My mom just gave me the Edgar Sawtelle book and I was so excited when I saw it on the poll LOL and I LOVE Austen. So I am excited for March! WOOHOO.

message 10: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Hello! I'm also new (though I've been posting a lot in the past couple hours haha) but I've already read JE (twice) so that's not a problem for me. I probably won't get around to Sawtelle though...

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 40 comments I agree with concurrent discussions. It seems many might be picking one of the two books. I came on board a month or so ago and finally just picked up The Thirteenth Tale this week - so feeling a little behind already!

message 12: by Holli (new)

Holli After some thought I think the book discussions should just run concurrently the whole month. If you are just reading one of the books you can focus on that discussion and if you read both you can participate in both.

I'm reading both of the February books and I think I'll be ok to participate in both of the talks at the same time.

Great suggestion though Meg....I had to really think about what would be easier for me!

message 13: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments My vote is for concurrent discussions each month because I'm just guessing that more people will read one book rather than 2.

message 14: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Well I am planning on reading 2 a month plus War and Peace. Of course if it is a book I am not interested in I will pass. Just thought I would add a suggestion if people are feeling stressed about it.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Just throwing a wrench in the works.. maybe we should start one book at the beginning of the month the second could start the second week?

message 16: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) Tera wrote: "You voted and the two clear front runners where...

Tera,
I never seem to be able to vote -- by the time I figure out the nominations are completed, the voting is over. Can you tell me generally when you post for nominations and when you close them; when the poll is posted and how long it is posted for?

Lydia

message 17: by Tera, First Chick (last edited Jan 10, 2009 12:16PM) (new)

Tera | 2536 comments Mod
I generally try to hold nominations the first week of the month. When I post the nomination thread I always give the details of how long the nominations will go for and then you can expect a poll up after that. I always post a "Breakdown of (the months)" nominations with a link to all the books and small blurb about them. There I state that the poll is up and for how long the poll will run for. I usually make another thread in the general section telling people that the poll and voting are up. The poll is always on the homepage at the bottom of the page while it's going on.
In general I try to open nominations up sometime during the first week of the month and usually leave it open until we have 15 books nominated. Then about a day or so later (after I have time to compile all the information) the poll goes up and that usually lasts 3-4 days.

message 18: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2148 comments I think both discussions should run concurrently. I've already started Gargoyle for February, but I'm not sure if I will get to The Heretic's Daughter. I love all the brainstorming though (remind me to ask you ladies for solutions when I need to be in two places at once)!!

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (findingjackie) | 214 comments You know, I just looked at the info for the 13th Tale. I haven't been doing any book club chats because I've been trying to keep my book buying down.

If I had realized what the 13th Tale was about, I might have suggested another book.

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker | 617 comments I'm not sure because I'll be new to the March discussions, but is there a reading plan or just plan on being done with it by the start of the month so we can discuss? Heck, there might even be a thread about this.

message 21: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Lori, are you talking about Edgard Sawtelle?

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker | 617 comments Both actually. I just bought Sawtelle to read with the group and I own Jane Eyre and have been wanting to read it recently.

message 23: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) | 385 comments I actually have already read both! Can't wait to participate!

message 24: by Sonja (last edited Jan 15, 2009 07:41AM) (new)

Sonja (crvena_sonja) | 305 comments I'm currently reading Edgar Sawtelle (and absolutely loving it) but I read Jane Eyre a while back so I don't think I'm gonna read it again. BUT, I plan on joining in on both discussions. If I don't get to The Thirteenth Tale on audio soon those might be my first discussions here...

And I almost totally forgot that month in between... I do have plans to read The Heretics Daughter, silly me.

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments I've been meaning to read Jane Eyre for a very, very long time. This will finally motivate me to do it!

message 26: by JSou (new)

JSou I will definately join in for Jane Eyre! I will also try to get a copy of Edgar Sawtelle in time too!

message 27: by JSou (new)

JSou Okay, I'm in for Sawtelle as well. I just found a copy at the thrift store for a quarter! Yay! There's nothing like finding books like that where you least expect them! :)

message 28: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) Good find, Jessica!!! I haven't even had time to start Sawtelle. I'm hoping to this week. Along with Heretic's Daughter.

message 29: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2148 comments I probably won't get to Sawtelle this month, but for those of you that have already read it and loved it, I just read a review that says the author plans to come out with 2 more books involving the same characters.

message 30: by Holli (new)

Holli Really? Wow!! Where did you read that Jennifer? I'd like to see the whole article......

message 31: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2148 comments Holli, it was just a little blurb in the beginning of Book Page (probably also viewable at bookpage.com) in the Buzz Girl column.

message 32: by Holli (last edited Jan 27, 2009 05:34PM) (new)

Holli Jennifer...I looked in the Buzz Girl column but didn't see anything about Edgar Sawtelle. Oh well...........

message 33: by Holli (new)

Holli Thanks Brenda!!! I think that sounds interesting...I'll for sure read it.

message 34: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Me too...wonder where that will go?

message 35: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (wheeledk) | 22 comments I just got Edgar Sawtelle from Amazon, and I'm excited about Jane Eyre! It's my grandmother's favorite book - she gave me her copy from the 1950s. She underlined her favorite passages. :)

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker | 617 comments I think I'm actually going to be able to work these in (keeping fingers crossed though). I had to drop out of Emma for another group for this month. And War and Peace hasn't been happening for me (yet). I need to get my act together and be an active participant in book discussions because it's really what I love to do.

message 37: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 11 comments So my mom just gave me a big hardcover copy of Edgar Sawtelle, and I have not been able to bring myself to start it. Has anyone read it? Can anyone give me a little nudge that will inspire me to crack this big boy open???

message 38: by Holli (new)

Holli Awesome book Amanda...I loved it :) Its a re-working of Hamlet so that may intrigue you, its not just about a boy and his dog if that's scaring you off, and its our March read in this group so crack it open and join us! Hope those were enough reasons ;)

It reads really fast for its size.....

message 39: by Alison (new)

Alison | 20 comments I loved it as well. I didn't want to read it at first either because I didn't think it was my type of book, but let me tell you....it's fantastic. I ran the gamut of emotions on this one. Give it a chance.

message 40: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments It is so well written. another first time author, it is amazing that we are following this trend.

message 41: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (countrygarden) | 95 comments I like the option of being able to pick between the two and think I will read Sawtelle too as I my "to read" list is growing rapidly since I joined this site and I am anxious to start those too...

message 42: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) I thought Edgar Sawtelle was great too. I'm glad to see that he is going to come up with a trilogy.

message 43: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2148 comments Has anyone started Jane Eyre yet? I don't want to get a discussion going before we get to the March discussion, but it's slow going for me. I enjoy it when I pick it up, but because I'm so used to modern novels that move at a breakneck pace, JE is feeling very long. Any thoughts or encouragements would be welcome!

message 44: by Hyla (new)

Hyla | 12 comments I've also already read Edgar Sawtelle and just loved it! If was like nothing I've read recently and it's reads so smoothly. I'll definetely read the trilogy books when they come out.

message 45: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments I read Edgar Sawtelle a last month and I hope I can remember enough to discuss. I read Hamlet after just to see what the comparison was about and I have read Jane Eyre a couple of times over the last few years or so. Loved both books. ;)

message 46: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments I'm just doing Jane Eyre this month and trying to decide whether I should read it in print or listen on CD. I spend a lot of time in the car, but there's just something for me about reading the classics in print.

message 47: by Angie (new)

Angie  (angelitabonita) | 119 comments Katie wrote: "I'm just doing Jane Eyre this month and trying to decide whether I should read it in print or listen on CD. I spend a lot of time in the car, but there's just something for me about reading the cla..."

I was debating the same thing. If you want to here it on audio book go to booksshouldbefree.com they have all the classics to download for free. And I listen to them on my drive to work. I was also thinking about reading along to Jane Eyre.