Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments Hi, has anyone read a HEA which has been written for men. I read Nick Hornby and Tony Parsons and love the 'modern male' romantic genre. Any thoughts?

message 2: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Wish I could help, Ian, but I'm not familiar with any.

message 3: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Reading one right now for a challenge, Ian. Rose,by Leigh Greenwood

Rose (Seven Brides, #1) by Leigh Greenwood

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments Ok not read that but would love to know what you think.

message 5: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Right now I'm a little disappointed, Ian. But only about 15% into it. I've read this author before and liked him. This one is a bit of a rip-off of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, right down to her tipping over the table when the brothers eat like pigs. Someone who hasn't seen that movie might appreciate it more.

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments Well good luck with the rest of it. I don't mind borrowing from other places but it has to say something new, be a bit more nuanced? What do you think?

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I agree. I don't mind if they re-create the wheel as long as they make it somehow their own. I mean, how many ways can you write some things? But, if it is well done, an author can get away with a lot. We'll see how the rest of the book goes.

message 8: by Holly (new)

Holly Bush | 35 comments Seven Brides for Seven Brothers was a favorite of mine growing up and my daughters watched it all the time, of course that was the age of the VCR.

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments At the cinema, on the VCR, DVD or Blu-Ray it's just class!!!

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Jun 14, 2012 09:23PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments The book ended up better than I thought it would. It was a original storyline after the one rip-off scene. Still, love the movie Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I know all the songs. **sigh**

message 11: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) Lisa my son is Adam in the Sundance Utah production of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers this summer. Proud Mama here and especially since its one of my favorite musicals. Can't wait!

message 12: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Wow, Michele, that's wonderful. Another fan of the movie. Even my hubby, who swears he hates musicals, loves this one.

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Wow, Michele, that's wonderful. Another fan of the movie. Even my hubby, who swears he hates musicals, loves this one."

Can I confess to loving Calamity Jane?

message 14: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Love that one too. I'm a big fan of musicals. Maybe I'll talk my daughter into watching one with me tonight. Hubby is out of town. ☺

message 15: by Gerrie (new)

Gerrie | 2856 comments Ian, I read a cute little book on Kindle (it was freebie a couple of months ago) called The Two Pound Chic Magnet. Although the author is a woman, it's written from the male perspective. It's basically how this guy (and all his friends) uses his sister's dog to meet women. I enjoyed it a lot; but would be curious to know if it really captures a male perspective.

message 16: by Ian (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments I am off to check that out right now!!!

message 17: by Ian (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments Yeah That's really cool.

message 18: by Gerrie (last edited Jun 14, 2012 05:02PM) (new)

Gerrie | 2856 comments Ian, I'm glad you like it. I just re-read my review of it on Goodreads. I remember enjoying it, but I had forgotten just how much fun it was to read. I greatly enjoyed the hero and all his friends, and their HEA's. I'm inspired to re-read it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Michele wrote: "Lisa my son is Adam in the Sundance Utah production of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers this summer. Proud Mama here and especially since its one of my favorite musicals. Can't wait!"

That is super neat, Michele! Congrats!

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments The Two Pound Chic Magnet by Kathryn Ardell looks good, Gerrie! Since it is available on Amazon Prime, I added it. ♥ dogs in the story. BTW, added bookcover, synopsis, etc. to that one.

message 21: by Denyse (new)

Denyse Cohen (DenyseCohen) | 15 comments I just finished reading One Hit Wonder by Charlie Carillo. I picked up the book because I've written a romance with the same title. So, of course I wanted to know what it was about and—admittedly—how it compared to mine. Carillo's book is a true HEA for men. His POV, his voice, is total male and it's WONDERFUL. I thought the book was very captivating.

message 22: by Denyse (new)

Denyse Cohen (DenyseCohen) | 15 comments Gerrie wrote: "Ian, I read a cute little book on Kindle (it was freebie a couple of months ago) called The Two Pound Chic Magnet. Although the author is a woman, it's written from the male perspective. It's bas..."

My brother used me to pick up women...lol. I'm three years younger and he was happy to take me and my friends everywhere.

message 23: by Gerrie (new)

Gerrie | 2856 comments Thanks Lisa. That cover is far more professional looking than the one on my Kindle. But I'm sure it's the same great book.

Denyse, I'd always wished I'd had a brother, so I could meet guys through him. It never occurred to me that if I did, he might feel the same way about a sister, as all my friends' older brothers just ignored us. I wish I'd had friends with older brothers like yours.

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments LOL! Yeah, my older brother hit on a couple of my friends when I was growing up.

message 25: by Gerrie (new)

Gerrie | 2856 comments Or like yours Lisa!

message 26: by Ian (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments Yeah I definitely needed a younger sister instead of a brother!!!

message 27: by Denyse (new)

Denyse Cohen (DenyseCohen) | 15 comments Gerrie wrote: "Thanks Lisa. That cover is far more professional looking than the one on my Kindle. But I'm sure it's the same great book.

Denyse, I'd always wished I'd had a brother, so I could meet guys throug..."

LOL. My brother and I had an "agreement" we helped each other out. As a girl, I didn't need his help as much as he did mine (because of the boys coming after us) Still, I've dated some of my brother's friends, I grew up in Brazil where age difference is not as strict as in the US, so his friends were always happy to mingle with us younger girls.

message 28: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 591 comments I like Jim Butcher a bit and loved Leigh Greenwoods' Flowers and Cowboys. Half of the Iona Andrews team is male and I love those. I am always reluctant to try a male romance writer though. Bad of me. lol