Visionary Fiction discussion

VF web ring - list of members

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Saleena (last edited Jun 16, 2012 03:58AM) (new)

Saleena Karim | 86 comments Okay, for those of you who are already members, please make sure your respective rings include the following authors, and keep checking back for updates for the time being!

Shannan Sinclair http://shannansinclair.com/
Jodine Turner http://www.jodineturner.com/
Saleena Karim http://libredux.com/
Michael Sussman http://www.MichaelSussmanBooks.com/
Sandy Nathan http://sandynathan.com/
Eleni Papanou http://philophrosyne-publishing.com/
D.E. Lamont http://www.thewayoftheeagle.com/
Martin Cosgrove http://www.martincosgrove.tumblr.com/
Michelle Gordon http://eata.wordpress.com/
Peggy Payne http://www.peggypayne.com/blog/
Theresa Nash http://ishowasdaughter.com/
Margaret Duarte http://www.enterthebetween.blogspot.com/

If you have authors listed at your own blogs who are not 'official' members, please ask them to join the ring.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Sussman | 30 comments All set. Thanks, Saleena.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gordon (oldsoul3333) | 6 comments hello :)

I've put all of the above blogs on my own, my blog address is:

Michelle Gordon http://eata.wordpress.com/

Thanks!

message 4: by Saleena (new)

Saleena Karim | 86 comments Oh, almost missed you there Michelle! Thanks. I'll add you at the list here and update the list at my own site shortly.

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Nash (theresa_nash) | 9 comments Thanks for doing this, Saleena!

message 6: by Eleni (new)

Eleni | 77 comments You're in Michelle!

message 7: by Saleena (new)

Saleena Karim | 86 comments Theresa and Peggy added. :)

Eleni, did you catch my email to you via the GR center? Please email me at hydro[at]cyberblurb[dot]co[dot]uk

message 8: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Nash (theresa_nash) | 9 comments Finally got the site up with the ring. I perused each of your sites until I found a quote or blurb I could use in the hover description for each of you.

If you prefer something other than what I grabbed, please let me know.

My site is still being tweaked, but it's serviceable. I'm calling it Mixed Miracles: Adventures in Life and Fiction. You can find it here:

Theresa Nash http://ishowasdaughter.com

Happy Tuesday!
t./

message 9: by Saleena (last edited Jun 12, 2012 06:19AM) (new)

Saleena Karim | 86 comments Theresa - I love how you did that! (The quote you picked from my site was perfect). Thanks. I'll edit my blog and the above list in a mo'.

EDIT: Done!

message 10: by Eleni (last edited Jun 13, 2012 12:03AM) (new)

Eleni | 77 comments Theresa: Love what you did!

Saleena: Wow. Your quote sounds a lot like my protagonist. Our characters would probably visit each other every week for coffee and to compare lessons they've learned.

message 11: by Saleena (last edited Jun 13, 2012 04:39AM) (new)

Saleena Karim | 86 comments Eleni - I think you're absolutely right. I just checked out your book trailer for Unison (actually tried yesterday but had a problem viewing) and there are some spooky similarities between your story and mine. I'm definitely looking forward to your novel's release.

message 12: by Eleni (last edited Jun 13, 2012 10:53AM) (new)

Eleni | 77 comments Theresa: I haven't received any email. Where did you send it?

Saleena: Your quote resonated with so strongly, I got your book this morning. I love how you start right with the action, and it immediately made me ask two question about what transpired between Adam and Joanna. I noticed in your bio that you wrote for television, but I'll bet you also wrote several screenplays because what I'm reading feels very cinematic. I started out with screenplays myself and still utilize all the techniques in my writing because I find them very effective, especially with omni voice. Looking forward to the rest of the read.

message 13: by Jodine (last edited Jun 13, 2012 04:28PM) (new)

Jodine Turner (goodreadscomjodineturner) | 91 comments I'm updating my blog list to add all of the newer members....great to connect!

Theresa, I love how you picked quotes that describe the essence of each of our novels when readers hover over our names on your WebRing. I checked out each one. We certainly are in good company as authors and visionaries.

message 14: by D.E. (new)

D.E. (delamont) | 17 comments Theresa wrote: "Finally got the site up with the ring. I perused each of your sites until I found a quote or blurb I could use in the hover description for each of you.

Hi Theresa, thanks for taking such care and being so creative with our links. That is inspirational. I will add yours and the new names as soon as I can, and try to organize and separate everyone's links better.

--D.E. Lamont

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Sussman | 30 comments Beautiful job, Theresa. Being highly technically challenged myself, I'm in awe!

message 16: by Saleena (last edited Jun 14, 2012 03:36AM) (new)

Saleena Karim | 86 comments Eleni, I'm so glad you picked up on the cinematic feel of those opening scenes, since that was what I was aiming for. Actually, I've never written a screenplay from scratch but have read quite a few and helped in their editing, so clearly some of that rubbed off into my prose! :) Enjoy the novel.

Btw, that email was sent by me, not Theresa. I got through in the end (as you know) so please ignore my message here.

message 17: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Nash (theresa_nash) | 9 comments Hi all,
I'm glad you liked the quotes. I enjoyed skimming through your sites. They are both varied and impressive. I'm completely in awe of Martin's site. It feels like a treasure hunt in an eclectic wardrobe. Wow!

Michael, I plod along on the technical stuff - i just get lucky occasionally! Right now I've got spikes growing out of my head from working on my website. Your site looks fabulous. Just like a Paul Simon song!

Saleena/Eleni, whew! I was racking my brain! I too, got the email and will respond later today.

Happy Thursday!
t./

message 18: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Duarte (margaretduarte) | 22 comments I'm mustering up the nerve to finally change my genre from women's fiction with paranormal elements to Visionary fiction, even though this will probably make my search for an agent more difficult. In the mean time, I've added some of the writers in your ring to my blog (I will add more and put them in their own category soon). I'd love to join your ring if you'll have me. My blog is: http://www.enterthebetween.blogspot.com.

message 19: by Eleni (last edited Jun 16, 2012 12:57AM) (new)

Eleni | 77 comments Welcome Margaret:

I'm glad you decided to stop by. I'm entering you into my links page. Regarding getting an agent, you don't have to change your genre. Many different genres fall under visionary fiction. The book I'll be releasing is speculative/science fiction.

I should also mention, various online stores, such as Amazon, have a visionary fiction section, which is where I'll be filing my books under.

If you would like to be included in our discussions, please send us your email address.

Have a wonderful weekend.

message 20: by Saleena (last edited Jun 16, 2012 04:00AM) (new)

Saleena Karim | 86 comments Hi and welcome, Margaret. Eleni's right - you don't need to change your main genre (regardless of what I said at my own blog to you recently!). I'm listed at bookstores under sci-fi. I already have your email, so I'll add you (and send you a rundown of our conversation so far) so you can catch up. I've also added you to the above list and have done the same at my blog.

Eleni - is it possible to change your novel's genre once it's at Amazon? I've been trying and can't find a way to do it. It's no biggie, but I'd just like the option.

Have a great weekend.

message 21: by Jodine (new)

Jodine Turner (goodreadscomjodineturner) | 91 comments Welcome Margaret! It's good to have you here.

Seleena - in answer to your question - I have info on how to change your genre on Amazon, gleaned from what I learned from a webinar by the very helpful Shelly Hitz, and also based my experience with that info.

Firstly, you change your genre category via Amazon author central; you'll need to have an author page to do so, and I assume everyone does...or should!

The steps:

- choose your category by searching through 'Books' on Amazon home book page, left column. Copy and paste your chosen category from the URL tab once you find what category you want.

-go to your author central page

- click on the book tab along the top

- click on your book title

-scroll to page bottom and see the link to contact customer service for Amazon Author Central

- it's better to email them by the way, but you can call

- tell them you want to change your book category and then put the copy and pasted category you chose into the email message
ie. Books>Spiritual>Visionary Fiction (or whatever category came up for you)

You will receive a confirmation email and within a few days the changes will show up.

Anyone cam email me if you have questions
jodine@jodineturner.com

Looking forward to our upcoming blog!

message 22: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Duarte (margaretduarte) | 22 comments Hi everyone. I'm curious about how many of the members in this group have agents and how many either went directly with a publisher or Indie. I'm currently querying agents listing my genre as women's fiction with paranormal elements. This leads to misunderstanding. Some think I'm writing fantasy, others SF, others speculative. They're not getting the spiritual/transformational aspect of my work.

message 23: by Saleena (last edited Jun 17, 2012 11:09AM) (new)

Saleena Karim | 86 comments Thanks very much Jodine. I have an author's page, so I'll try what you've suggested.

Margaret, I'm afraid I don't have an agent. I've had one title published traditionally, and one self-published (both were non-fiction though). My novel (VF) is also indie published. I can understand why you've been having trouble with explaining just exactly your VF theme means. It's kind of its unique selling point, but you have to convince them of that! :)

My suggestion: just tell the agents the genre is women's fiction, mention the paranormal elements briefly within your intro or story description, and then let them decide how to pigeonhole the paranormal element once they've read your manuscript. It's what I did when writing to reviewers. I told them it was sci-fi, and then mentioned (within the story outline) that it 'asks questions about human potential' etc.

message 24: by Jodine (new)

Jodine Turner (goodreadscomjodineturner) | 91 comments Margaret,
I agree with Saleena. Get in the door with a well established genre, while mentioning the paranormal/metaphysical/human potential elements- whatever your VF book includes. Otherwise, I have found that agents will often not consider VF because it is "not in their genre of representation", or they're concerned with its marketability. So, I say - get in, then specify more.

I got in under fantasy, magical realism, and Young Adult/Adult for two of my novels which both had a Small Press publisher who believed in them. Once published and listed on Amazon, I went into Amazon categories and added VF to my category for my books, and I promote all my novels using VF, as well as fantasy (though we VF authors all know that VF is very real!)

I guess for now, we have to work within a system that doesn't give broad across the board acknowledgement to VF - yet. And that is why we are working together to promote the genre.

Until then, we band together and promote awareness!

message 25: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Duarte (margaretduarte) | 22 comments Eleni wrote: "Welcome Margaret:

I'm glad you decided to stop by. I'm entering you into my links page. Regarding getting an agent, you don't have to change your genre. Many different genres fall under visionar..."

message 26: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Duarte (margaretduarte) | 22 comments Thanks, Eleni. I haven't been able to find any agents who list visionary fiction as one of their specialties.

message 27: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Duarte (margaretduarte) | 22 comments Saleena wrote: "Thanks very much Jodine. I have an author's page, so I'll try what you've suggested.

Margaret, I'm afraid I don't have an agent. I've had one title published traditionally, and one self-published ..."

message 28: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Duarte (margaretduarte) | 22 comments Hi Saleena. I did just that, listed my novel as women's fiction with paranormal elements. Here was the agent's response: Readers who would read for the women's fiction aspect aren't going to be inclined to take the story seriously because of the fantasy involved, and those who read fantasy are going to want a stronger plot (i.e. people killing each other, someone in danger, a bigger external threat). I don't write fantasy, but the agent categorized it as such. Oh well, I'll keep trying.

message 29: by Saleena (last edited Jun 18, 2012 02:06PM) (new)

Saleena Karim | 86 comments Margaret, I haven't read your work but looking at your novel's outlines at your site, I had the impression of spiritual, not fantasy fiction (this was before I got to your 'brand statement' ). So I'm very surprised that the agent picked fantasy. I would have been less surprised to hear that they picked 'spiritual' or even 'new age'.

Your situation is actually quite common to VF authors, which is why so many of them give up on trying to get traditional contracts and end up going indie. I myself went indie, but for my own reasons. An experienced best-selling author I know tried the traditional route first, but she couldn't get her last novel picked up by a traditional publisher because they couldn't pigeonhole it (it wasn't VF, btw). So she too went indie. I'm not suggesting that you do the same, though. Just sharing what I've observed elsewhere.

message 30: by Eleni (new)

Eleni | 77 comments My situation is similar to Saleena's, plus I also want more creative control over how and where my book will be published—which will be next month as opposed to two or more years from now. Also something to consider, major publishing houses are forming distribution deals with indie writers who are selling well. That might be another route for you to consider. I wouldn't turn down a distribution deal with a major publisher!

message 31: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Duarte (margaretduarte) | 22 comments Eleni wrote: "My situation is similar to Saleena's, plus I also want more creative control over how and where my book will be published—which will be next month as opposed to two or more years from now. Also som..."

Saleena wrote: "Okay, for those of you who are already members, please make sure your respective rings include the following authors, and keep checking back for updates for the time being!

Shannan Sinclair http:/..."

Thank you Eleini, Michael, and Saleena for including me in your Visionary Fiction Web Ring.

message 32: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Duarte (margaretduarte) | 22 comments My last comment got mixed up with some others, so here it goes again. Thanks Eleni, Michael, and Saleena for including me in your Visionary Fiction Web Ring. I feel like I've finally found a home for my novels. We speak a common language. Time to get the word out.

message 33: by Saleena (new)

Saleena Karim | 86 comments Agreed! :) Nice to have you on board, Margaret.

message 34: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Nash (theresa_nash) | 9 comments Welcome, Margaret!

message 35: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Duarte (margaretduarte) | 22 comments Thanks, Theresa. I added you to my blog's Visionary Fiction Web Ring.

message 36: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Duarte (margaretduarte) | 22 comments Hi Theresa. I like how you used the "freedom is choice" quote in the hover description of me. Thanks.