The Not-So Austen Bookclub discussion

Book Recommendations > Life Changing Novels ~ Must Reads

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Booknut (booknut101) | 4592 comments Mod
We all know we've read at least one. One book that changed our perspective on life, or something else, that became ingrained in our memories and made a lasting impression for some reason. List them here and let us know how it touched you or changed your life.

message 2: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments JRR Tolkien's 'the lord of the rings'
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

I have probably ranted and raved about Tolkien here on Goodreads to all of you for ages, and thanks to Booknut i now have another chance to do so! This was a book that my mother gave to me at aged 11 (even before JK Rowling's Harry Potter books), and although i did not understand it as well as i do now i can say with certainty that it was a book that changed my life.
I firstly learnt to love literature, reading and books which is a passion that has now continued on throughout the years until present time. I had always read stories long before this, but Tolkien's work was something that i had not encountered before and so it intregued me completely.
Secondly i was introduced to the fantasy genre and world that was so exciting, i was wisked away into foreign lands and new creatures. It lit a spark in my imagination and one that hence delighted in creativity and all this strange to what i had only ever encountered within the world. It made my dreams come to life, hence i have since always had a love for this genre that makes you forget the 'real world' and be able to journey into the unknown.

I have so much to thank my mother for (giving me this book) and to Tolkien who is a literary genous and one who is a constant inspiration, as an aspiring writer myself who loves fantasy and all of his creation on such a vast scale. Each book is unique and this one certainly was the catalyst that changed the course of my future!

message 3: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (new)

Zohal | 1418 comments Mod
Ok, even though Harry Potter is my favourite book series the book/ book series that changed my life and perspective of it would have to be the Eragon series.

This book touched my heart. it was mostly Eragon himself who touched my heart. I loved his personality how he was loyal and always kept his promises in the end. The way he changed throughout book 1 -4 was mesmerising. How his own perspective changed.

I find it funny because his own perspective changed my perspective.

message 4: by £mily (new)

£mily (3mily991) | 33 comments The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak.
One of the best books I have ever read. I just finished it for the second time yesterday and tears were running down my face. I rarely cry in books and movies. Only a select few have ever touched my heart, and The Book Thief was one of them.
The writing was spectacular, and Death is probably one of the best narrators ever, with his dry, cynical perspective and his little notes. Every character is so realistic, so developed, your heart will ache for them.
Everyone, everywhere, young or old, should definatly read this book.

message 5: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

The Beginning of After by Jennifer Castle The Beginning of After changed my perspective of myself and the concept of loss and how we, as human beings, deal with heartbreak. It was so intensely beautiful and written to perfection - describing the feelings perfectly. I cried alot whilst reading it!

Another book was The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #1) by Mary E. Pearson The Adoration of Jenna Fox. I never found a book that described that feeling of having your life controlled and of people not treating others as people simply for being human, so perfectly before. This book really put into perspective the precise emotions so many of us go through.

I loved each of your choices too - Eragon was incredible; when he discovers (view spoiler) and goes through his personal journey of dealing with it all and accepting Brom's love beyond the grave, I was truly touched. Lord of the Rings brought the element of magic and adventure into my life as well, and the Book Thief is one of the most spectacular books EVER, and I loved how Death narrated too!

message 6: by Shatha (new)

Shatha (idrinktoomuchtea) | 32 comments Cassie Binegar. I know it's not a very famous story, but I read it when I was young and it made me really want to write and read more. Plus I really related to her then... I kinda still do actually.

message 7: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Harry Potter. It gave me something to believe in. It gave me hope and role models to look up to. Ya, I started reading them in 1st grade but that was when I needed them, and they found me. This series will always have a special place in my heart, especially the Prisoner of Azkaban. I look up to Sirius Black. It may sound weird but he was more of a father to me than my own father. Sirius Black, and Harry, everyone really, they were all there for me, even if they are characters in a book. I love them all.

message 8: by Serena (new)

Serena Dracis (serena_dracis) | 4 comments Two series, actually. Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. Oh, how I wanted to Impress my very own dragon! But the books were ultimately, about love, absolute love that never wavers. The original 3, Dragonflight, Dragonquest and The White Dragon, like the original 3 Star Wars movies will live forever for me as the best and brightest, but I do enjoy her other Pern offerings. Not sure yet about her son continuing them...
The other series, Edgar Rice Burroughs Barsoomian tales. If you saw John Carter, you don't really know Barsoom. Like Pern, I soooo wanted to travel to Barsoom, ride a thoat and be rescued by a Barsoomian cheiftain. Sword fights, daring rescues, brave, noble men and beautiful women...sigh. I still love reading them, even if they are dated and flawed to my more mature mind. They're a quick, easy read. Well worth it, you can finish A Princess Of Mars in an evening.

message 9: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments I just have to include Ken Follet's 'the pillars of the earth' and 'world without end'.
The Pillars of the Earth (The Pillars of the Earth, #1) by Ken Follett and World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth, #2) by Ken Follett

They are adult historical novels (and yes i shall say adult & not young teenage due to thier content). I was not expecting to read them or even like them as it is not a normal genre or 'type' of book that i would pick off the shelf, but i was overwhelmed by his writing and spend two months engrossed within the books (the size of chunky slabs!) without rest...i just cannot enthuse enough about how great they were.

Not everyones taste perhaps but i do certainly know why Ken Follet is a highly respected and admired author.
Ken Follett

message 10: by Belinda (new)

Belinda €mily☻♫♥ wrote: "The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak.
One of the best books I have ever read. I just finished it for the second time yesterday and tears were running down my face. I rarely cry in books and movies. Only..."

I definitely agree with you. When I finished this book I was certainly altered somehow by it. I can't explain it but it was certainly a wonderful book. Any book that makes me cry (and it takes a lot!) is a wonderfully written book

message 11: by Belinda (new)

Belinda The Lovely BonesNever have I had a book that has made me laugh out loud, then cry my heart out (literally blubbering!) Such a stunning novel. It certainly is an interesting take on death and the existence of an afterlife/heaven.

Mao's Last Dancer A true story of a poor Chinese child's journey to becoming one of the world's greatest dancers. Made my heart ache.

And a couple more: Tully, The Time Traveler's Wife, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Angela's Ashes,The Memory Keeper's Daughter, Dead Man Walking, Memoirs of a Geisha and The Five People You Meet in Heaven just to name a few! They have all had a huge impact on me in their own unique ways, whether it be beautiful, memorable writing or the pure emotion they evoked in me.

message 12: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Belinda wrote: "The Lovely BonesNever have I had a book that has made me laugh out loud, then cry my heart out (literally blubbering!) Such a stunning novel. It certainly is an interesting take on death and the ex..."

I adored 'The Five People You Meet in Heaven'!! It made me cry, laugh and also gave me such a wonderful feeling - like "this is so true" - everything the main character learns throughout his journey is true and applicable to everyone's life.

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Belinda wrote: "The Lovely BonesNever have I had a book that has made me laugh out loud, then cry my heart out (literally blubbering!) Such a stunning novel. It certainly is an interesting take on death and the ex..."

Belinda! I didn't know you were in this group, as well! Hello, hello, hello!

So many books have changed my thoughts and left huge impacts on my book-craving-soul. Of course, now that the opportunity comes to share them, I cannot think of them. Harumph!

A few books that have dug their words into my soul are: Animal Dreams,Lullabies for Little Criminals, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Margarettown, The Divine Comedy ...I could go on and on and on..there are an endless amount of books that have resonated with my life!

message 14: by Dannette (new)

Dannette (dtte) | 6 comments The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. I have never cried over a book until I read this one. The characters were so real, and no one could have told this story better than death. It was absolutely amazing.

message 15: by Anna (last edited Aug 12, 2012 02:58AM) (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments I would have to say the Harry Potter series impacted me in a huge way. I think I was about 4 years old when my dad first began reading them to me. As more came out we would read together, and once the series ended I reread them by myself. Through the series I grew up and they helped me grow as a person. I will forever love this story and the world that J.K. Rowling created!

There are many other books that impacted me but I can't think of them! Oh, also Thirteen Reasons Why hugely impacted me too

message 16: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (new)

I would have to say that The Secrets of the Immortal, Nicholas Flamel also changed my life. The development of the characters throughout the entire series was amazing and I was happy because there is hardly any icky, icky romance or romance romance. I haven't finished the last book yet though I am halfway through it. Amazing so far.

I swear to god Nicholas Flamel reminds me of someone from Harry Potter but I don't know who

message 17: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Anna wrote: "I would have to say the Harry Potter series impacted me in a huge way. I think I was about 3 years old when my dad first began reading them to me. As more came out we would read together, and once ..."

I agree Harry Potter had a huge impact on all aspects of my life.

message 18: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (elspethgordie) | 2 comments i have to agree with Emily and Dannette- the Book Thief is one of the most beautiful books ever written. it changed my life forever and i love it so much. :)

message 19: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Caitlin wrote: "i have to agree with Emily and Dannette- the Book Thief is one of the most beautiful books ever written. it changed my life forever and i love it so much. :)"

The Book Thief is an amazing book:)

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (eiyah_fantasyfreak) | 96 comments Caitlin wrote: "i have to agree with Emily and Dannette- the Book Thief is one of the most beautiful books ever written. it changed my life forever and i love it so much. :)"

Yup:)

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (eiyah_fantasyfreak) | 96 comments Isabelle wrote: "I would have to say that The Secrets of the Immortal, Nicholas Flamel also changed my life. The development of the characters throughout the entire series was amazing and I was happy because there ..."

Dumbledore?

message 22: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (new)

Althea wrote: "Isabelle wrote: "I would have to say that The Secrets of the Immortal, Nicholas Flamel also changed my life. The development of the characters throughout the entire series was amazing and I was hap..."

YES !!!! Thanx so much.......... He reminds me of Dumbledore.
=) =) =) =)

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (eiyah_fantasyfreak) | 96 comments Isabelle wrote: "Althea wrote: "Isabelle wrote: "I would have to say that The Secrets of the Immortal, Nicholas Flamel also changed my life. The development of the characters throughout the entire series was amazin..."

Your welcome:)

message 24: by Pari {Ridhee} (new)

Pari {Ridhee} (ridhee) | 37 comments The book that really changed my life was.... Percy Jackson!!!! No, im kidding. It was The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien great book.

message 25: by Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) (last edited Jul 24, 2012 03:45AM) (new)

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (eiyah_fantasyfreak) | 96 comments The book that changed my life was *drum role* PERCY JACKSON! Yup, my grandmother suggested it to me because my aunt gave me "The wizard of Oz" book to read and started developing an interest in reading and she loves to read too. And when I read it I really became obsess with it and I started the journey.......of being a bookworm.:P

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Isabelle wrote: "I would have to say that The Secrets of the Immortal, Nicholas Flamel also changed my life. The development of the characters throughout the entire series was amazing and I was happy because there ..."

Nicholas Flamel is the creator of the Sorcerer's Stone in Harry Potter.

message 27: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (new)

Anna wrote: "Isabelle wrote: "I would have to say that The Secrets of the Immortal, Nicholas Flamel also changed my life. The development of the characters throughout the entire series was amazing and I was hap..."

I know... it's totally epic !

message 28: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Hehe it is!! I've always wanted to read that series, and finally bought the first book! I'm so excited! :D

message 29: by Chelsea (last edited Aug 04, 2012 07:20PM) (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 21 comments This book is a oldie and it is not YA but it single handedly lighted my love of reading when I was eight. I totally loved it.

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

message 30: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (new)

Anna wrote: "Hehe it is!! I've always wanted to read that series, and finally bought the first book! I'm so excited! :D"

:D

message 31: by Leyah (last edited Oct 28, 2012 04:33AM) (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 291 comments Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Mariller is the best book of all time, it changed my view of the world and gave me a valuable insight into the shadowy, mysterious world of folklore.

message 32: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments Leyah wrote: "Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Mariller is the best book of all time, it changed my view of the world and gave me a valuable insight into the shadowy, mysterious world of folklore."

I will look this up as it sounds most interesting. Thank you Leyah. x

message 33: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 291 comments Glad I've got you interested. You won't regret it.

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (velliya) | 424 comments The Hobbit literally changed my life. It's the book that made me want to be ab author.
It has a romanticism about it that people can only dream about.
Tolkien is an inspiration <3

message 35: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments Rachel wrote: "The Hobbit literally changed my life. It's the book that made me want to be ab author.
It has a romanticism about it that people can only dream about.
Tolkien is an inspiration <3"

Very true. He is one of the most, if not the most, inspiring writers there is.

message 36: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Leyah wrote: "Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Mariller is the best book of all time, it changed my view of the world and gave me a valuable insight into the shadowy, mysterious world of folklore."

That sounds very interesting!! Definitely want to read that sometime!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

The Harry Potter series was the thing that held me onto books and wouldn't let go. It not only changed my outlook on the world but it changed my life because I found books, my only solace in this crazy world.

message 38: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "The Harry Potter series was the thing that held me onto books and wouldn't let go. It not only changed my outlook on the world but it changed my life because I found books, my only solace in this c..."

I feel the exact same way:)

message 39: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "The Harry Potter series was the thing that held me onto books and wouldn't let go. It not only changed my outlook on the world but it changed my life because I found books, my only solace in this c..."

Totally agree with you :)

message 40: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments Alexis wrote: "There are lots of books that changed my life--literally. The one that changed it the MOST was probably Eragon, though. I had no idea what it was when I picked it up at Wal-Mart, I just liked it bec..."

I totally agree with you that Eragon is AMAZING! :)

message 41: by Lady Poppy (new)

Lady Poppy | 367 comments The book that changed mine and as I noticed a lot of yours too is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It was beautifully written and told the story of a girl changed by books. The relationships were so strong in the book that my heart was ripped in half and stomped on at the end. The happiness did lift my spirits a ton, but I still went puffy-eyed to school the next day. It taught me the power of words. My connection to this book cannot be described by even the most powerful of words.

message 42: by Leyah (last edited Nov 26, 2012 09:12PM) (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 291 comments Oooh!! sounds interesting! :)

message 43: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Lady Poppy wrote: "The book that changed mine and as I noticed a lot of yours too is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It was beautifully written and told the story of a girl changed by books. The relationships were so..."

That is one of the most amazing books I have ever read.

message 44: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Lady Poppy wrote: "The book that changed mine and as I noticed a lot of yours too is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It was beautifully written and told the story of a girl changed by books. The relationships were so..."

Wow that's so cool you had such a connection to it!! I finally bought it and can't wait to read it!!!!

message 45: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Anna wrote: "Lady Poppy wrote: "The book that changed mine and as I noticed a lot of yours too is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It was beautifully written and told the story of a girl changed by books. The re..."

That's exciting! It's such an amazing book:)

message 46: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments Lady Poppy wrote: "The book that changed mine and as I noticed a lot of yours too is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It was beautifully written and told the story of a girl changed by books. The relationships were so..."

That sounds amazing! I must check it out. x

message 47: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Leyah wrote: "Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Mariller is the best book of all time, it changed my view of the world and gave me a valuable insight into the shadowy, mysterious world of folklore."

I LOVED Wildwood Dancing - definitely a must-read :D

message 48: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Lady Poppy wrote: "The book that changed mine and as I noticed a lot of yours too is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It was beautifully written and told the story of a girl changed by books. The relationships were so..."

Poppy, that is beautiful to hear how such an amazing book affected you!

message 49: by Cam (new)

Cam Garza (camgarza) | 137 comments I'm ashamed to tell you that one of the books that completely changed my life was...
*drum roll*
Twilight.
Yeah, it its one of the worst books in history but when I had no taste in books and simply didn't know what a really good book is, Twilight got me into reading and for that I'm really grateful, it got me to GR planet, coolest and sassiest place on sassyland and really good books, imagine, if I had never picked up Twilight, I would have never landed in GR (Wow, that, my fellow bookworms, is one of the saddest things I've ever thought) but I think that if I read that serie again I'm gonna be laughing my head out in the worst possible way xD

message 50: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

H99 wrote: "...Is Twilight really that horrible? I've never read it."

It's not horrible...it's just that (in my opinion) in some parts it's a little too cheesy and cringe-worthy. It's good for a light read, and if you don't read too much into it it can be enjoyable as far as paranormal romances go. But personally I think the hype about it made it a little tiresome for me. I mean, Edward's great but he's not THAT great!!

« previous 1