Les Misérables Les Misérables discussion

The movie

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Troels Are anyone excited about the upcoming movie? What do you think about the trailer?

Danielle Looks awesome!!

Richard anne hathaway looks good as ever. she has a genuine star appeal about her. jackman looks OTT as ever. is crowe in there somewhere, i think i missed him

Troels The movie is based on the musical, but I haven't seen it.

I'm really excited about this movie, I really feel that Anne Hathaway sings "I dreamed a dream" with so much emotion.

Sarah The musical is great. I have watched all types of versions of this book and can't wait for this one to come out!!

Marlene Slade Saw the preview today. Looks superb! I will definitely see this film when it comes out

message 7: by Sid (new)

Sid Yeah, I'm excited about this too. I've heard that some people didn't like the way Anne Hathaway sang, but I thought her rendition was so moving that it brought a few tears to my eyes.

Lauren Smith I dunno. Not sure about making it into a movie. I mean I think we are losing sight of like going to the theatre and seeing it live and watching and respecting the actors and actresses. I guess I'm saying this just cuz I have a strong theatrical connection. My parents have been in theatre for over 20 years. My brother was in the Brisbane version of the play, and my mum and I did the main characters costuming.

Sorry if I'm being a b*t*h. My opinion. :)

Grace Hendrian Tirzah wrote: "I just read the book this spring, so I am excited to compare/contrast with the movie. However, isn't the movie based on the musical? For those who have seen the musical, does it stay true to the bo..."

The musical does a pretty good job of following the book. Obviously, they had to cut out plenty of the more minor elements from the book. That said, I think they did a great job of expressing the points and major parts of the book. I am really excited about this movie! The musical is probably my favorite one ever and the book is one of my favorite books.

message 10: by Sid (last edited Jun 13, 2012 09:45PM) (new)

Sid Lauren wrote: "I dunno. Not sure about making it into a movie. I mean I think we are losing sight of like going to the theatre and seeing it live and watching and respecting the actors and actresses. I guess I'm ..."

Not everyone has the means of going to the theatre. Furthermore, the musical does not run all the time (especially where I live). I would love to see it live, but i can't. A movie, which any one can easily see at the cinema (cinemas are everywhere) or can rent later on, is a great way of exposing les mis to a larger audience. Not only that, but it could mean that even more people will want to read the book. Your comment smacks of snobbery - you are saying that this musical should only be seen by those who have the means to go visit the theatre. Furthermore, just because the actors in the movie are not performing live, doesn't mean that they are any less talented or should be any less respected than those who perform on broadway.

Troels Lauren wrote: "I dunno. Not sure about making it into a movie. I mean I think we are losing sight of like going to the theatre and seeing it live and watching and respecting the actors and actresses. I guess I'm ..."

I live in Denmark, and although it's quite cheap to fly to London compared to what it has been like,it still take some money. I would like to se an adabtion on a scene, but the last few years when I've had the interest in musicals, i haven't read about an adaptation on tour in Denmark. The movie is a way to get the musical to them who haven't seen it yet.

Of course there a something about it being on stage, but you can do a lot of things for a musical in a movie that just ain't possible on stage, think about cutting the hair off, filming a barricade, and so on.

Gzchealsea I like the original movie alot which is why i started reading the book and just the first four pages are so good and awesome

Vanessa Caulkins OMGosh I am so excited to see it! I saw the preview last week when I went to see Snow White and The Huntsman and I had songs from Les Miserables playing in my head all day!

message 14: by Corrie (new)

Corrie Anna Hathaway looks like she can act the part just fine, but her singing in the preview is horrid.

Annette I loved Anne's rendition. I'm used to hearing Fontine singing the line, 'so different from this hell I'm living' very defiant and strong. But hearing Anne sing it as though she's actually living through hell was beautiful and so moving.

I've read the book, I've seen the musical, and I'm excited for this version. I thought the trailer was phenomenal.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I am actually not too psyched about the cast. Maybe its beccause I feel lesser known actors/singers would have been better. I think the all star cast takes away...and I love Anne but her voice really didnt do the part of Fontine justice :/

however i will watch it to compare it to the musical and book :)

Christian Oh my gosh, I am so excited! It's my favorite book and musical! Can't wait. I am definitely going to see this the second it is in theaters. And I'm going to be annoying in that theater, singing every song...Ahhhh! It needs to be December!!

P.S. I do wish the cast wasn't a long list of A list celebrities, but that won't change my watching experience.

message 18: by Janvi (new)

Janvi if anne hathaway ruins this amazing musical , i will kill her family so she will be all on her own ;)

message 19: by Daan (last edited Jul 13, 2012 04:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daan Jackman as Valjean... I don't know. He probably would do brilliant -but to cast Colm Wilkinson (in my opinion the best Valjean on stage ever) only as the Bisshop.. I don't know. I trust that it'll all work out, but for me he should be Valjean. If only for the second part of the movie!

I only hope that they won't release it in 3D. 3D ruined EVERY movie so far, no exceptions.

Alisa Johnson Lauren wrote: "I dunno. Not sure about making it into a movie. I mean I think we are losing sight of like going to the theatre and seeing it live and watching and respecting the actors and actresses. I guess I'm ..."

I partially agree. I hate the fact that so many people are planning on seeing this that dont know anything about the story, and dont care to. To them it will be just any other movie that's out. At the same time I am very glad that more people have the means to see it that want to. The musical is definitely something everyone should be able to experience. Its such an inspiring story. Who knows, maybe those who had no prior knowledge of the story before seeing it, will fall in love with Les Mis and decide to read the book and maybe even see it live in theater someday. Unfortunately we all know tons of people will see it and not take anything from it. But what can you do! Overall I think the pros outweigh the cons. I'm just so excited to see it! It looks like its going to be amazing!!

Sherry Grace wrote: "Tirzah wrote: "I just read the book this spring, so I am excited to compare/contrast with the movie. However, isn't the movie based on the musical? For those who have seen the musical, does it stay..."

Tirzah wrote: "I just read the book this spring, so I am excited to compare/contrast with the movie. However, isn't the movie based on the musical? For those who have seen the musical, does it stay true to the bo..."

I disagree. The musical is very different from the book. Eponine's character for one is completely different. There is no back story on Gavroche, in fact they don't even say he is part of Eponine's family. A lot of it is different. But I absolutely LOVE them both. I have to think of them as different entities. I fell in love with the play when I was 13 and read the book shortly after. But I didn't fully appreciate it until I reread it as an adult. My children are all familiar with the music, and I can't wait until we can all see the film!

Sherry Troels wrote: "Are anyone excited about the upcoming movie? What do you think about the trailer?"

Gave. Me. Chills. Seriously, it's about time...

Brittney It is my opinion that Les Mis is the greatest book ever written, and the musical is perfect. I have been going to the musical whenever possible, it is the most powerful musical to ever hit a stage. There is something inherently powerful in a stage production with a live audience. The theater seems to be almost dying, in a way, but I digress. I am partially excited about the movie. I am glad Cameron Mackintosh is producing it. I do have some reservations, though. Hollywood can sell the soul of story, as we know, and corrupt them. I do like Anne Hathaway, and I don't have a problem with her voice. It is not as great as Ruthie Henshall, but it does work for film. My biggest problem is Amanda Seyfried. Has anyone listened to her voice in Mama Mia, or Youtubed other clips of her voice? It is terrible, terrible, terrible. And, she claims to have a trained voice, yet she can't find, nor stay on a key, her voice oscillates between being pitchy and flat. Her voice makes my ears want to stab themselves with tiny knives! Her acting is nothing to brag about, either. Anne Hathaway can act, and her voice is truly good without the assistance of a computer. Her performance at the Oscars was truly good. I know there are many women who have great voices and acting skill to match that could have topped Seyfried. Samantha Barks was in the 25th anniversary production and her voice is honestly Les Mis worthy. I am undecided about Jackman, I love Crowe, and I am more than excited that Colm Wilkinson is the Bishop. I will be in the theater opening day, though. I'm keeping positive the story will be true to the book.

Sherry I never particularly like Cosette's voice in any production I have seen of Les Mis. I have never really liked her character. So I'm O.K with Amanda Seyfried. As long as Eponine and Jean Valjean are strong, I'm o.k.

message 25: by Amna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amna Excited is not nearly a strong enough word to describe how I feel towards the upcoming movie. And Helena Bonham Carter playing the role of Mrs Thenardier is just perfect. Though I did read that they're adding a new song at the end.

message 26: by Kirk (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kirk McElhearn I'm not at all interested in a movie of the musical, but that makes me think that this would make a great HBO 13-episode series. (The story from the novel, not the one from the musical.)

message 27: by Amna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amna Kirk wrote: "I'm not at all interested in a movie of the musical, but that makes me think that this would make a great HBO 13-episode series. (The story from the novel, not the one from the musical.)"

Most definitely, yes!

Sunni I just finished reading the book tonight and I'm pretty sure I fell head over heels in love with Jean Valjean during the course of the story. The ending absolutely killed me. I can't wait to see this movie! It's going to hurt so bad when they have to cut out so many scenes and characters for the sake of time, but I think Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe will be amazing together, and Anne Hathoway is one of my favorite actresses. The whole cast seems to be perfect! I have to admit, I'm a little nervous because I've never actually watched a musical before so it will definitely be different for me, but I have no doubt that it will be fantastic! This has to be the best story in the world.

Carina I will freely admit I had heard of Les Mis for years, then one of the weekend papers gave away the version with John Malkovivh for free which I watched. I thought it was interesting but not amazing.

Then when I got my Kindle I found Les Mis on Amazon for free, this was a few years after I saw the film so had heard a bit more about it. I read it when I visited Paris for the first time and, though it got so sidetracked in places, thought it a very very good book.

A while back I got to see (on DVD) the anniversary edition they did (just the songs no 'acting') - thanks to reading the book and seeing a movie adapataion I was pretty able to work out what parts they had missed out and thought it was pretty good.

I am very excited to see the musical film version though, they have recently released a "behind the scenes" for it and it sounds really interesting. Especially the decision not to record the songs beforehand - Hugh Jackman explains the difference wonderfully. As to Anne Hathaway I love that she has changed the song - from the earlier preview trailer and the behind the scenes she sings it to match the emotion of her character at that point - I really like!

I have never had an issue with books/stage shows being turned into films - I just think it helps more people access them and if they then read/watch the 'original' so much the better.

κίρστεν (Kirsten) Sunni wrote: "I just finished reading the book tonight and I'm pretty sure I fell head over heels in love with Jean Valjean during the course of the story. The ending absolutely killed me. I can't wait to see th..."

SAME HERE. He is--and has been ever since I read the book--my all time favorite literary character. Les Mis is one of I believe only three books to actually make me cry. But the ending.... Just... So terribly, terribly sad.

In my opinion--which you may completely disagree with--the musical does an incredible job of capturing the spirit of the book. The music is fantastic and matches the emotions of each character in the moment. Naturally, a lot of awesome parts are cut out because the musical (as I saw it on stage) is around three and a half hours if I remember correctly. I really enjoyed it, and I'm a huge fan of the book. I'm also generally a stickler for accuracy when it comes to live-action adaptions of my favorite stories, so I hope that says something for the musical!

Anyways, I LOVED the musical AND the book, so I'm really hoping that the movie does a good job of incorporating filmography with the excellently done script and songs of the musical.

Troels wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I dunno. Not sure about making it into a movie. I mean I think we are losing sight of like going to the theatre and seeing it live and watching and respecting the actors and actresse..."

I quite agree. I have many friends who haven't seen the musical. It's only come to my state (Colorado, USA) once in the last TEN years. I'm also excited to see the special effects that can be done for the barricade and other scenes since it's not being acted in person. Nonetheless, I would still go to see the stage-play again if it stopped by!

By the way, I'm not Danish, but I do speak the language. My mom was born and raised there. :)

Mary Anne I just heard about the movie on the CBS Sunday Morning Show. I don't know if the movie is based on book or musical. Does anyone know? I am guessing a lot of detail will be left out so having read the book will help fill in the gaps.

message 32: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Jamesepowell wrote: "Corrie wrote: "Anna Hathaway looks like she can act the part just fine, but her singing in the preview is horrid."

From what I read, her singing is from the raw recording, taken right there during..."

All the vocals in the film were recorded live whilst filming as opposed to being pre-recorded months before, filmed while miming then dubbed.

message 33: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Kirk wrote: "I'm not at all interested in a movie of the musical, but that makes me think that this would make a great HBO 13-episode series. (The story from the novel, not the one from the musical.)"

Yes please! I'm dying for a good film version of this wonderful book. The Liam Neeson one was a travesty. A HBO mini-series would be great.

κίρστεν (Kirsten) Kate wrote: "Kirk wrote: "I'm not at all interested in a movie of the musical, but that makes me think that this would make a great HBO 13-episode series. (The story from the novel, not the one from the musical..."

It was indeed. -_- I second the motion for the miniseries!

I'm looking forward to this musical version nonetheless as it's combining elements of both the book AND the musical as I understand it. I really hope they do well. :)

message 35: by A.L. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A.L. Butcher I love this, the book is great, if long.
I love the musical and some of the older films are Ok. I am very excited about the forthcoming film.

I always cry and I have seen the musical so many times. "Bring him home" makes me blub.

Yes the book is different, far more deep with further character development of course but then again no one wouild sit through a film or play/musical which covered the WHOLE thing.

I am soo going to see it:)