Classic Readers discussion

Interesting Books > Any Suggestions?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sierra~Kelley, The Best Mod EVER!!! (new)

Sierra~Kelley | 76 comments Mod
Classics?

message 2: by Sierra~Kelley, The Best Mod EVER!!! (new)

*blank*I should have told you beforehand but I'm not a really big fan of classics:/Sorry I can't help you there:(

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

How about a Charles Dickens novel? lol :)

message 4: by kayla (new)

kayla  (kaylacaylen) Has any one read Vampire Academy or Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices?

message 5: by Sierra~Kelley, The Best Mod EVER!!! (new)

INFERNAL DEVICES <3
I AM JUST SOOOO MUCH IN LOVE WITH THOSE!!!

message 6: by Sierra~Kelley, The Best Mod EVER!!! (new)

I am not a big fan of Vampir Academy or Mortal \instruments

message 7: by Anne Sofie (new)

Anne Sofie (annesofielovesmozart) Here are some classic literature i think would be interesting to debate..

Jules Verne- Around the world in 80 days
Mark Twain- adventures of Tom Sawyer
Oscar Wilde- The Picture of Dorian Gray
Rudyard Kipling- The Junglebook
Ludwig Bemelman- Madeline
Emily Brönte- Wuthering Heights

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 3 comments I have a HUGE list of classics I'd like to read. Right now I'm part of a classics book discussion group at my local public library, but this year, to my disappointment, they've been focusing on "modern classics." Most of what they've chosen to read I'm not interested in, so I'm hoping this group will fill in the gaps for me. Maribel, would you like me to email you my list?

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 3 comments Yes! I used to work there part time back in the late '90s. I'll bet I've even seen you there. Great library. Did you join their Adult Summer Reading Program? I joined it late--last week, in fact--but still managed to read 15 books for it. Didn't win the Nook, though. Have you been to the Connect with the Classics discussion?

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 3 comments Lucky you--you have a Nook! Every time I get the money to buy one I have to pay for car repairs or house repairs or vet bills... That's why I keep hoping to win one! I'd like a Kindle too. Have you downloaded any books from Overdrive? I'm so happy to meet someone else who enjoys the classics. This past summer I finally met a faculty member at MVCC, where I work, who likes reading the classics. You'd think I'd meet more of these people at a college, wouldn't you? But no. Oh well, one is better than none. I'm looking forward to this group. Will you be coming to the Connect with the Classics discussion this month? The book is A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, supposedly a "modern" classic. I'll probably go because the book sounds interesting and it fulfills a country that I need for my 52 countries in 52 weeks challenge here on Goodreads. Hope I can get it read in time, what with all the other reading I'm doing.

message 11: by Christine, Dumbledore loves classics. You should too. (last edited Aug 18, 2012 11:01PM) (new)

Christine | 143 comments Mod
Well, I think we should try and read more Jane Austen's. I found that they're really great reads and they teach important lessons as well being humorous. Also, the Oz series would be a great read. If you were never paticularly interested in The Wizard of Oz because of the movie, please read my review of the third book in the series here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 12: by Christine, Dumbledore loves classics. You should too. (new)

Maribel wrote: "That's so awesome, Marie!"

What? I didn't do anything cool. But thank you.

message 13: by Christine, Dumbledore loves classics. You should too. (new)

Well then in that case thank you very much. While our power was out I took advantage of the time and wrote a review in a Word document on my computer. It took a while, but I had a great time writing it.

message 14: by Anne Sofie (new)

Anne Sofie (annesofielovesmozart) Maribel wrote: "Perfect!"

message 15: by Christine, Dumbledore loves classics. You should too. (new)

Anne Sofie wrote: "Maribel wrote: "Perfect!"

Wow, now looking at your list which I hadn't read before, I think that's a great idea! Very good and unique selections! :)

message 16: by B. P. (new)

B. P. Rinehart (ken_moten) Notes from Underground. It is around 100 pages but I garuntee you won't simply breeze through it like a lightweight.