Stephen King Fans discussion

Sometimes Dead Threads Come Back > July Group Read: King's Own

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Hi all... it's time to nominate for July's group read. This time around it's a Stephen King book. Be sure to check the group read shelf to make sure it's not one that we've read before.

Nominations close on the 13th then we'll vote.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Nobody?

message 3: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments Misery's up next for me, but I think it's probably more of a winter read.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 11 comments I was going to say Misery too. Do books have a season?

message 5: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1095 comments Mod
I'd love to help liven this discussion/nomination process up.

But I've read them all and can't do re-reads this year.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Chris wrote: "I'd love to help liven this discussion/nomination process up.

But I've read them all and can't do re-reads this year."

Me tooo...

message 7: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments I will look through the list and nominate something to help out. :)

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments I will nominate Dolores Claiborne.

message 9: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments Lisa wrote: "I was going to say Misery too. Do books have a season?"

I think that certain books can. By saying that Misery is more of a winter book (well it takes place mostly in the winter for one thing) I just think that the overall feel of it would be enhanced by being cooped up indoors without being able to get out and do much else.

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Stefan wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I was going to say Misery too. Do books have a season?"

I think that certain books can. By saying that Misery is more of a winter book (well it takes place mostly in the winter for on..."

Same with The Shining. I usually read The Shining every January. :D

message 11: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Bieber | 22 comments I will nominate The Tommyknockers to be different. I too sometimes read books at a specific time...for example: I'm gonna read A Christmas Carol in December, and I might read James Joyce's Ulysses next summer starting from the end of finals and hopefully finish on June 16th so that I end on Bloomsday :P

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) OK so we have Misery, Dolores Claiborne, and The Tommyknockers.

Anyone else?

message 13: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (notrace) | 105 comments I was going to nominate The Tommyknockers but I see it has a nomination, So I nominate Desperation.

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 747 comments Tracy wrote: "I was going to nominate The Tommyknockers but I see it has a nomination, So I nominate Desperation."

I almost nominated Desperation. :)

message 15: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (animegovie) | 2 comments I think I will nominate The Dark Half. I haven't gotten to that one yet, so this will give me a reason to get to it.

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (serialreader13) I nominate Needful Things :)

message 17: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 293 comments Becky, no Roadwork? I'll do it for you :)

I nominate Roadwork.

message 18: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Courtney wrote: "Becky, no Roadwork? I'll do it for you :)

I nominate Roadwork."

I've read it now. LOL

message 19: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 293 comments Damn. Nobody's going to vote for it now... not that anyone did before LOL

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Hahaha...

message 21: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

It'll probably win after all that.

Fondly remembers The Blade Itself in fantasy groups. Nominated it several times and it never won until I gave up and read it.

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I'd be OK with that actually... I'd like to bash it.

O_O

Did I just say that? Yes I did. *did not like*

message 23: by Bondama (last edited Jun 11, 2012 05:59AM) (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Hearts in Atlantis -- It's about time that we read what a lot of critics consider King's best book of short stories.(or short novels, if you prefer....)

I agree with Becky and Chris - I've read all of King, and I have very little time for a re-read, but something inside me is pushing to hear a discussion on "Hearts..."

message 24: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Zink | 30 comments I nominate Pet Semataryor Christine. It would be great to go back and re-read some old ones!

message 25: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 293 comments I don't even remember what Roadwork is about. I have the old Bachman Books volume, and I don't really remember any of them except for Rage. I don't know what it is, but any time I read a collection of short stories or novellas, I can never remember any of them except the first one.

Anyways, I don't do re-reads often, but I do plan to re-read the other three Bachman books at some point (not Rage).

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 11 comments Becky wrote: "Stefan wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I was going to say Misery too. Do books have a season?"

I think that certain books can. By saying that Misery is more of a winter book (well it takes place mostly in th..."

Point taken... I was going to add the Shining to the suggestions, but maybe I will wait for December's reading request ;)

message 27: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I had a point? That's new. ;)

message 28: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments I'd like to nominate The Green Mile because it's on my list of ones I need to re-read this year, and I didn't see it on the group-read shelf.

(Though I could go for a re-read of Hearts in Atlantis, it'd be good to read since I'm just about finished up with my re-read of the DT series.)

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments Bondama wrote: "Hearts in Atlantis -- It's about time that we read what a lot of critics consider King's best book of short stories.(or short novels, if you prefer....)

I agree with Becky and Chris - I've read a..."

I would like to second that since I just finished the book over the weekend.

message 30: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jmayhp) | 6 comments I would love to read a Bachman book. It's been a long time since I read them and the only one I remember is The Long Walk. Oh, and The Regulators. So any other Bachman book would be my pick, but I'm up for whatever the group decides =)

message 31: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Jennie wrote: "I would love to read a Bachman book. It's been a long time since I read them and the only one I remember is The Long Walk. Oh, and The Regulators. So any other Bachman book would be my pick, but I'..."

The group has already done Thinner and The Long Walk. Roadwork has been nominated above.

If you don't want Regulators, then the remaining choices would be Rage, Running Man, or Blaze. You might keep in mind that Rage is more difficult to find, as it's out of print.

message 32: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jmayhp) | 6 comments I'm all for Roadwork, I definitely don't have a good recollection of it so it almost be like reading something new!

message 33: by Dustin (new)

Dustin I'd also like to vote for Hearts in Atlantis.

message 34: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 9 comments Im sorry if it's been done already but the perfect King summer read for me would be: Duma Key.

message 35: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments I would like to nominate Rage.

message 36: by seak (new)

seak | 1 comments I'll second The Dark Half and/or Dolorous Claiborne. They're the only ones I happen to have with me as we moved for the summer.

message 37: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) OK... I should have closed the list yesterday, but forgot, so here's our list (after verification).

Misery
Dolores Claiborne
The Tommyknockers
Desperation
The Dark Half
Needful Things
Roadwork
Hearts in Atlantis
The Regulators