Horror Aficionados discussion

Horrorpedia > Genre Map

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) genre map

I found this on Book Riot and I'm offended. This genre map that someone put together put Horror as a sub-genre of Fantasy. WTF! I read in Clive Barker's The Painter, the Creature, and the Father of Lies where Clive calls Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Horror as a whole the Fantastique. I certainly agree that the lines between the genres can blur but categorizing Horror as a sub-genre of Fantasy, IMO, is belittling our beloved genre. Is it just me?

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 148 comments I'm not offended by it. Book country is trying to take all the various sub-genres and neatly pack them into a few mainstream ones. I noticed some sub-genres that never even made the list, like straight Westerns and bizarro. It's like a cheap map that lists the major and secondary roads, but completely ignores the back streets.

message 3: by Creature (new)

Creature | 34 comments Hello:
I don't know, I think horror/sci-Fi/Fantasy are all backwoods cousins of a sort. It works for me.
Have a Great Day!!!
The "Creature"
P.S. How's the Lagomorphs Scott??? Yosemite Sam wants to know (lol).
C-Ya!!!

message 4: by Char (new)

Char  | 13879 comments Mod
"Mystery, Thriller, SF, Romance, and Fantasy"

Where would The Color Purple fall? What about To Kill a Mockingbird?

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments The huge huge flaw I find with this is the fact that Horror is like 100 times more popular then fantasy right now and has been for a while now. If anything I think it should be the opposite, fantasy as a sub-genre of Horror since after all most horror is what everyone?? oh right fiction and...wait for it..Fantasy! So Jaimie I totally feel you on this..wack job that posted this or clearly head in the cloud. Horror is way more a genre than fantasy is and probably ever will be.

message 6: by E.J. (new)

E.J. (ejschoenborn) | 61 comments I actually think that horror could be a sub-genre of all of those.
Mystery Horror, Thrillers are pretty much horrors but more on the edge of your seat, science fiction horror - ZOMBIES!, romantic horror -"Breathers", Fantasy Horror- anything involving the word vampire or werewolf IMO.

message 7: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Horror, or more properly, Dark Fiction, is a genre all it's own. However, it shares a border with every other genre. But they only work one way.
If the heart of the work is horror, it can travel into any other genre.
Any other genre simply using horror archetypes is not horror, i.e; Paranormal Romance.

message 8: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) I do think that horror sci-fi and fantasy are all backwoods cousins. It's easy to find them bleeding into each other. But I also think there is enough differences in the genres to make them completely separate entities. I did not realize that it's all or mostly Penguin books so I'm not too miffed about this anymore now that I know it's advertising for their own books.

message 9: by Kris43 (last edited Jul 10, 2012 03:33AM) (new)

Kris43 | 5 comments I don't think its belittling, more like oversimplified and ignorant. If one wants to be mean it can be said its a dumb ed down explanation.

I'm a fan of horror, fantasy and sci-fi (horror being my biggest love:) and i can tell you that there are some very distinctive characteristic that separate those three.

They do blend, to a degree. But i wouldn't want them to blend to some amorphous mass that just aims to sell. Like Paranormal romance....ugh!

message 10: by Robb (new)

Robb Bridson I think really you'd need a venn diagram with each of the so-called "speculative fiction" types having a circle.
Some horror is fantasy, that which involves other worlds or magic; some is sci-fi, that which includes technology-gone-wrong and alien threats; but horror about killers or people going mad? That doesn't overlap.
(To complicate things, the book I'm trying to write crosses cyberpunk with occult horror, so it would overlap in all three, and someone else must have done that by now).

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) The "horror" section in book stores has quietly disappeared.....I was in a Barnes & Noble store recently looking around. I found a shelf marked "paranormal romance" (which I ignored) and that was the closest thing to "horror" I could find. I love book stores, but if they can't cater to me as a customer and pretty much force me to shop online for the books I want to read....then that is what I will have to do and I don't want to hear a lot of whining during the "going out of business" sale about how shoppers prefer online.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments Horror should be a genre all it's own. The map kind of assumes a lot of things about fans of certain genres. Charlene, from what I've studied in my Reader's Advisory class, The Color Purple and To Kill a Mocking Bird would be considered Literary Fiction is my guess. Although, most people, including libraries consider literary fiction to be what's left over once you pull out Mystery, Speculative Fiction, Romance...etc. (General fiction).

message 13: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Rachel wrote: "Although, most people, including libraries consider literary fiction to be what's left over once you pull out Mystery, Speculative Fiction, Romance...etc. (General fiction). ..."

Yes, you are correct. General fiction covers a wide range of books that are about, well, general stories. My library doesn't have a horror section. Boo hiss boo. But I can understand the reason: there just isn't that big a demand for the books. We circulate a lot of mysteries.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments My local library doesn't either. Actually, I've been to a couple libraries this semester which just shelve horror with general fiction. My local library also shelves romance novels on shelves marked "paperbacks" which makes very little sense to me. Except that a lot of romances are paperback in format and there seems to be a stigma to reading romance, which is weird since it's one of the most read genres.

message 15: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments We try to have as few genre shelves as possible because we don't want to confuse patrons who look up the book and assume it's in the general section. (Over the years we've had many patrons ask for African American sections)We even took short story collections by an author and reshelved them in the general fiction along with the author's novels. Now our short story collection are true anthologies and it's less confusing for the patron.

We have some paperback spindles divided into general, thriller/mystery, western, and romance. But the hardback romances are shelved in general fiction; the mysteries and westerns get their own sections. Confusing enough?!

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments there probably aren't enough hardcover romances to warrant their own section. Anothologies at my local library are shelved in general fiction, alphabetically by first word in anthology title, but the rest of general fiction is shelved alphabetically by author's last name.

message 17: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It's really hard to determine what book is a romance when 90% of general fictions contain romance elements!

message 18: by Jon Recluse (new)

If it's written by a woman and has a half dressed skank on the cover, it's a romance.

message 19: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Cleavage must be showing...for the woman and the man.

message 21: by Jon Recluse (new)

And the horse should be sweaty.......

message 22: by Jon Recluse (new)

Tressa wrote: "http://www.worldoflongmire.com/featur..."

Captain America from the waist up.
Miss America from the waist down.

message 23: by K.V. (new)

K.V. Witten | 10 comments Tressa wrote: "Yes, you are correct. General fiction covers a wide range of books that are about, well, general stories. My library doesn't have a horror section. Boo hiss boo. But I can understand the reason: there just isn't that big a demand for the books. We circulate a lot of mysteries.
..."

I find this an interesting statement. Maybe there's not much demand because people can't find them.

I don't get horror books from my local library because they have very few. So which comes first - libraries don't have many horror books because few people check them out or few people check out horror books because the library doesn't have much of a selection?

message 24: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown Agree with those complaining about sci-fi and fantasy being lumped together - it makes my blood boil.

Have to take issue with those who say that horror is superior to fantasy. It may not be a popular thing to say, but I would argue that fantasy is probably (and should be) the highest form of literature. Will Shakesphere new the score, and that's good enough for me. I still love horror, though, in case anybody asks.

message 25: by Ron (new)

Ron | 373 comments Speaking of genres...I sold some books today. The lady who owned the store is pretty savvy, don't get me wrong, but she hadn't heard of Lord Dunsany before. She was intrigued when I told her a bit about him, however (It was a general collection of varied types of stories). She asked me after I explained a bit about the collection, "So should I put him in literature or fantasy?" I really didn't know the answer to that one myself.