SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

Monthly Nominations > August Fantasy Theme Nominations: The 2000s

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 13, 2012 02:23PM) (new)

The votes are in and the August Fantasy Theme is the 2000s. So, any fantasy novel published from 2000 to 2009 is eligible so nominate away ...

Remember, everyone gets a nomination and everyone gets a second and once we have 5 or 6 books to choose from, I'll up at poll.

Nominated Books
Lamentation by Ken Scholes
The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

How about Lamentation by Ken Scholes?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to nominate The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold

message 4: by Simon (new)

Simon Doyle (welshwizard) | 1 comments Hi all, I'd like to nominate The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

A book that was so good I couldn't put it down, and there are very few I think like that about!

message 5: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) I've already read Name of the Wind (and liked it a lot, despite a few flaws), so I flipped a mental coin and decided to second Lamentation, as both it and Geoffrey's nomination look about equally interesting to me.

message 6: by Colin (last edited Jun 10, 2012 05:16PM) (new)

Colin Taber I'll second Geoffrey's nomination of Bujold's The Curse of Chalion as I've been meaning to read it for about 3 years.

Well, you can't rush these things...

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Joyce | 16 comments The Romance of the Unicorn by Cynthia Joyce Clay

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) I'll second The Name of the Wind. I've only put off reading it because the third book isn't out yet and I've been waiting for the whole trilogy but it's one I've really been wanting to read.

message 9: by jillz (new)

jillz (jillzz) Among Others by Jo Walton

message 10: by Gyula (new)

Gyula (gyulameszaros) I would also go for the Name of the wind. Excellent book.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

It looks like The Romance of the Unicorn and Among Others were both published in 2011 so they're too recent for this theme ...

message 12: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) Geoffrey wrote: "It looks like The Romance of the Unicorn and Among Others were both published in 2011 so they're too recent for this theme ..."

Heh...I gave up trying to come up with nominations when, after checking up on 4 books that looked promising, 2 were published after 2009 and the other two were not enKindled. >_<

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to cheat a little and nominate an additional two books ... mostly because I want to but also because I'm procrastinating at work .... :) .... so feel free to second these or not as the mood strikes you:

Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling

and

A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll second Shadow in Summer. I got it as a free download years ago.

Can I cheat too? The Darkness That Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker

message 15: by Daniel (new)

Daniel I'll definitely second Shadow in Summer. That quartet is near the front of my "bought but yet to read" pile.