(good) Horror Films discussion

Classic Horror > Spider Baby (Jack Hill, 1964)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phillip (last edited Jan 08, 2009 01:06AM) (new)

Phillip Spider Baby (Jack Hill, 1964)

I can't believe I didn't know about this movie. Sorry kidz, but this is my neighborhood. I love 60's era b-movies with poor taste. It seems to me that films like this (along with Roger Corman, et. al), provided models for some of the darker of the 70's era of directors like David Lynch, Tobe Hooper, and John Waters.

The credits roll with Ronald Stein's macabre-shuffle dance score with none other than Lon Chaney throwin' lyrics in the mix (I notice Fantomas covers this on their film score release: The Director's Cut). The film opens on an entry from the Dictionary of Rare and Peculiar Diseases. We are privvy to an illustration of the Merrye Syndrome, a malady found in the children of incest that causes them to begin to degenerate at age 10 back into a pre-human canibal form.

Some relatives drop in on such a gang of ghouls led by their chauffeur (played by Chaney) and try to wrestle the property from them. Before you know it, wild-eyedwomen with ratted hair in flimsy nightgowns abound with butcher knives; you can smell the booze on Chaney's breath; labyrinthine chambers lead to blood-stained dungeons; tarantulas creep nimbly toward the camera....you can't go wrong with material like this.

This is a genre specific to the time period when I "came of age" with horror films. I was about 5 or 6 when this one came out. I can remember this kind of midnite movie sort of thing playing on late night tv in los angeles, so films like these have a great sentimental appeal to me.

If any of you out there know of films that fit into this genre (Dementia 13, et. al.), please feel free to make some recommendations for an old sentimentalist.

cheers,
pg

message 2: by Phillip (new)

Phillip thank you for the recommendation, kd!

foxy brown, with pam grier? i've seen that one. wow. totally different style. or is that something else?

message 3: by Ubik (new)

Ubik | 46 comments This is being remade ya know. I have the special edition VHS with the fold-out cover. Its neato and has special features at the end

message 4: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 226 comments I must see this, going in my queue now:)

message 5: by Phillip (last edited Jan 08, 2009 04:07PM) (new)

Phillip a remake is in the works?????

damn. that's depressing.

message 6: by Phillip (new)

Phillip mmmmmmmm, foxy.