Stargirl (Stargirl, #1) Stargirl discussion

What Did You Think About Stargirl At First?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Johns I thought that Stargirl was very strange.

Yona Raine wrote: "I thought that Stargirl was very strange."

Well, she is. :)

I can't remember my FIRST first impression, because I read it a long time ago. But when I reread it last summer, I remember thinking, "Oh my, you are a brave girl, because people are not kind to people like you." She actually reminds me very strongly of a friend of mine. :)

Johns Strange is just a short description of her. My fingers hurt when I posted that, so I didn't put down everything I said. She's brave, kind, and strange, but also you can't help but think "Am I the strange one?" Unless that's just me.

Mary when i first read this (in middle school) i stupidly thought the main character was a girl so when his best friend asked if he liked "star girl" i was all OMG and then when he followed her home i realized it was a dude and i felt sooooooo stupid. *head desks*

message 5: by Farhia (new) - added it

Farhia The first time i read it, I only read halfway because I thought Star Girl was too weird, but then I read the full thing, I realized she was just a little different, but not that much. It was a pretty good book, but not one of my favorites

Mary i liked her:) she reminded me in a way about myself at times haha

Emmy Emanyza Love her so much! I wonder if she's for real. Anyone? :)

Johns That would be awesome. I'd love to have a girl at my school that would play ukilale. Idk if I spelled that right.

Emmy Emanyza Hahaa,

It's ukulele in Indonesia language.
The end of the book is quiet make me wondering. dont u guys? :D

Cheers!

Raine wrote: "That would be awesome. I'd love to have a girl at my school that would play ukilale. Idk if I spelled that right."

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I got kind of offended. I'm a homeschooler, and I'm saying from experience that we don't act-or dress-like Stargirl. We also usually have the same name for life.
But after I got past my ticked-off-ness, I really enjoyed the book.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

For me, Stargirl was a wonderful book. I could actually picture this poor outcast in my mind as I read Jerry Spinelli's intricately woven words. The conflict is clearly explained: allegiance versus popularity, and proved to be quite a difficult decision for Leo to choose between his friends and Stargirl. However, I think this sort of plot is a bit overdone.If you read some of Jerry Spinelli's other work, you would see that books like Loser has the same plot: an outcast deemed to be hated and teased by his classmates.Overall, Stargirl is understandable, but overused.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Tirzah wrote: "Livvy [who dances in the rain] wrote: "I got kind of offended. I'm a homeschooler, and I'm saying from experience that we don't act-or dress-like Stargirl. We also usually have the same name for li..."

I don't think so. Jerry Spinelli probably thought that was a good basis to start to show that Stargirl isn't used to the public school because of the fact that she was the only student there at home. It might be to show how Stargirl was surprised to see a world of horror at the school behind her protective home.

message 13: by Linda (last edited Jun 14, 2012 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Linda I first thought of star-girl a person that everyone wanted to be around and mysterious because no one knew much about her when she first came to her new school. I agree with Wise because as soon as something bad happens they blame the person who knows the least.

Gzchealsea I hated so much not a good book good plot not properly written disliked

*Michael* At my school, I'm exectly like Stargirl.

Shayna I love Leo. :) I really liked this book :D

message 17: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana That it was soooo good!!! But know I am not so sure about it

Peyton Anderson At first I didn't like it because I thought it was strange but as the book progressed I really started to enjoy it more and more and by the end of the book I really liked it.

Michaela I thought she was an inspiring and open girl. i loved reading about a home schooler i a public community.

Maygin I started this book last night. I am about 1/2 way done.

As I was reading it I didn't get Stargirl. Was it a joke? Is she for real? Is she playing a role or was this really who she is?

I can't wait to see how this books ends and what becomes of Stargirl.

Briana Mary wrote: "when i first read this (in middle school) i stupidly thought the main character was a girl so when his best friend asked if he liked "star girl" i was all OMG and then when he followed her home i ..."
I did the same thing!!!! It took me forever to figure out he was a boy.
Um I didn't really understand. I read it a long time ago, but isn't she like an alien or something? I got ridiculously confused.

Rashika (is tired) at first she annoyed me.. but when well we got to know her better.. i LOVED her.. she is different and she won't let what other ppl think about her get to her. I wish i could be more like her.

message 23: by Contessa (new)

Contessa I found that I had a lot in common with Stargirl. A middleschool teacher gave me Stargirl because she reminded her so much of me. I still love this book.

Nouran Gamal HATED IT

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I already posted my comments on this. I just have a question. What does "#YOLO" mean?

Early thanks for clarification. :)

Carolyn i loved her from the very first page! :)

message 27: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Sweet book.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

i liked her, but still i thought she was little strange, but in such a great way that she was inspiring!

Vinathi Alaburger I loved her! I was absolutely heartbroken when she left haha.

Becky Ward I first read this book when I was 11... maybe younger and I remember thinking what a wonderful character Stargirl was and how much I loved the book. I recently re-read it, and couldn't believe how much I disliked the character and the book as whole...

Niamh I thought of her as weird ans strange but I also wanted to have her personality and confidence to do what she did throughout her life.

Nicole Boone I loved how unique she was. At first I was kind of wondering what the heck she was thinking, but then I just got used to it. She is kind of a character that you warm up to. I have a friend just like this.

۪H۫۰۪a۫۰۪l۫۰۪e۫۰۪y۫۰ I thought Stargirl was a unique person. My teacher recommended this book to me and at first I didn't know that Leo was Leo. I thought that the character who collected porcupine neck tie was a female,but I must have misunderstood.

۪H۫۰۪a۫۰۪l۫۰۪e۫۰۪y۫۰ Mary wrote: "when i first read this (in middle school) i stupidly thought the main character was a girl so when his best friend asked if he liked "star girl" i was all OMG and then when he followed her home i ..."

I thought the same thing, I had no idea that the main character was a guy.

Diana I thought she was really kind. I especially loved the part where she would look in the obituary every day and send a card to the family. I personally thought she was really lovable.

Daniel I thought that Stargirl was a good example of how someone can truly be themselves. The story is a great example of how someone so different from the crowd can be rejected by society simply for being different.

Savvy I loved StarGirl because I can sort of relate to her. I also now tell myself to hug instead of slapping someone back. I've read both of the books and hope there's more!

message 38: by Kiara (new) - rated it 1 star

Kiara Rosner It Was RAtrcheet So i Stopped Reading It

Ashley Villalobos I was 10 when I first read this book and I thought she was really cool. I also begged my mom to buy me a pet rat so that I could name it cinnamon but she refused :'(

Savvy I want a rat too!

Kayla Macgillivray I do the hug-instead-of-slapping-someone-back thing too haha!
I really enjoyed this book, so of course I hurried off to read the sequel. Except the sequel sort of ruined this book because it sort of took Stargirl's mystery away. Did anyone else think this?

message 42: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin I thought that, at first, Stargirl reminded me of myself-a totally crazy girl who loves the unusual.

message 43: by Emily (new) - rated it 1 star

Emily Colby Livvy {I'm not gloomy, I'm just not always happy} wrote: "I got kind of offended. I'm a homeschooler, and I'm saying from experience that we don't act-or dress-like Stargirl. We also usually have the same name for life.

I completely concur, except that I didn't like it.

Elena At first, I thought Stargirl was a bit crazy with her costumes and ukelele. But then, I realized how brave she was to do this that caused an up spring of people painting their nails and dying their hair.

Debbie Delano Mary wrote: "i liked her:) she reminded me in a way about myself at times haha"

I liked her too. It was refreshing to read about someone brave enough to stand out. Star Girl reminds me so much of my daughter, however I must say I feel like her friend Dori Dillson.

Delphine I thought it was a childrens book. The cover wasn't to appealing at first sight, but I gave it a shot and it was a pretty good book.

Amanda I didn't like her at first, because I felt she was just being strange/different for the sake of being different. It didn't really make sense to me. She's such a brave, strong girl because she's unafraid of being different, so then why is she sad and scared when people don't like her? I thought I would like her and relate to her because I'm also very strange and people usually don't like me, but the difference is that I don't try desperately to stand out. It was a bit confusing for me, but in the end I did like her better.

Amanda I didn't like her at first, because I felt she was just being strange/different for the sake of being different. It didn't really make sense to me. She's such a brave, strong girl because she's unafraid of being different, so then why is she sad and scared when people don't like her? I thought I would like her and relate to her because I'm also very strange and people usually don't like me, but the difference is that I don't try desperately to stand out. It was a bit confusing for me, but in the end I did like her better.

Angelica Garcia At first I taught stargirl was very strange but then she got popular and everybody knows her.

message 50: by Eliza (new) - added it

Eliza Raine wrote: "I thought that Stargirl was very strange."

I also thought Star girl was strange at first as well.

« previous 1