What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Paid Servant
This topic is about Paid Servant
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > in their sun-splashed islands [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Manning (ChrisManning) | 6 comments Can anyone give me the title and author of this book, which I read about 20 years ago? The author is originally from the Caribbean and is giving his impressions of living in London. I remember one passage in particular in which he says that Londoners are not like his countrymen, who 'in their sun-splashed islands' look into the faces of people they meet, hoping that it is someone from their own village, or their own island.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Something by V.S. Naipaul perhaps?

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris Manning (ChrisManning) | 6 comments I think I will recognise the author's name if someone suggests it. I don't think it was V.S. Naipaul. I don't know who that is. Thanks anyway.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Manning (ChrisManning) | 6 comments The author might have been E.R. Braithwaite who certainly wrote that *sort* of thing. I don't think the book was 'To Sir With Love' though.

message 5: by Marnie (new)

Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile) (enchantedbibliophile) This sounds alot like The Lonely Londoners a 1956 novel by British Caribbean author Samuel Selvon

message 6: by D.M. (last edited Jun 12, 2012 10:06PM) (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 340 comments Paid Servant

"In their sunsplashed islands, West Indian Negroes are generally gay, friendly, talkative people, accustomed to greetin each other, whether stranger or friend, with a wave, a nod, wink, or 'Hi, man'. They see each other, ..."

Chris was right, this is actually the sequel of "To Sir With Love"

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Manning (ChrisManning) | 6 comments That passage sounds (reads) familiar. So it *is* by E.R. Braithwaite? What is its name?

message 8: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 340 comments Paid servant is the name of the book, it's in the link above.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Manning (ChrisManning) | 6 comments I thought that was your username or something. Yes, I'm sure that's it. Thanks.

message 10: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 340 comments No problem, glad to help.

message 11: by Kate (last edited Jun 13, 2012 10:25PM) (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
I'm glad you found the book, Chris. I love that phrase, "sun-splashed islands." I'll move this book to the Solved folder.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris Manning (ChrisManning) | 6 comments So do I. I read the book during a winter I spent in (sun-splashed) Brisbane, something many Melburnians do. I will try to get another copy.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lonely Londoners (other topics)
Paid Servant (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sam Selvon (other topics)