The Sword and Laser discussion

name your favorite Bradbury short story

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments How about naming your favorite Bradbury short story? He seemed to write a lot of those.

I like Kaleidoscope. That's the one where a ship explodes and a bunch of astronauts are floating in space. I've heard a radiodrama of it as well.

message 2: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Simon (joshuapsimon) | 24 comments There Will Come Soft Rains is a great Post-Apocalyptic story.

message 3: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments Ditto Joshua.

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric | 5 comments So many choices. "All Summer in a Day" is one that sticks with you. I also have a particular fondness for "The Pedestrian."

Really, Bradbury was always more of a short story writer than a novelist, and I have always preferred his stories. Not say that the novels aren't excellent, but I think he is more effective in short form.

message 5: by Joraque (new)

Joraque (JoraqueAdventures) | 1 comments For me it is a toss up between The Veldt and The October Game.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments I sing the Body Electric because its was my introduction to Ray Bradbury and A Sound of Thunder, for coining the term, the butterfly effect.

message 7: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Simon (joshuapsimon) | 24 comments A Sound Of Thunder is another great one.

message 8: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments Trying to choose a single favorite out of the more than 300 he published? Aargh! It's like asking which of my kids I like best.

Can't do it, so I'll name one for each: for my eldest, who sometimes doubts himself, "Homecoming." For my unstoppable second child, "Invisible Boy." And a favorite creepy selection for the tiny tyrant, "Skeleton."

message 9: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 1 comments "The Pedestrian" is special because it was the first one I ever read. Also "The Whole Town's Sleeping" and "The Rocket" which aren't even sci-fi.

message 10: by Anne (new)

Anne | 336 comments All Summer in aDay and Fog Horn

message 11: by Joe (new)

Joe Osborne | 94 comments Another vote for The Veldt.

message 12: by Keith (new)

Keith | 3 comments The Emissary

message 13: by Mark (new)

Mark Catalfano (cattfish) Sound of Thunder (for the 4th vote)

message 14: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie (fuddster) | 2 comments Off the top of my head it's probably a tossup between "Mars is Heaven!" and "A Sound of Thunder." That being said, I was at a John Scalzi reading/signing in Philly the day Bradbury died, and he did a very emotional reading of "There Will Come Soft Rains" which may have moved it closer to the top of my list.