The Cost of Hope: A Memoir The Cost of Hope question

End of life care
Amanda Bennett Amanda Jun 09, 2012 02:40PM
How do we get a handle on the soaring costs of end of life care without destroying peoples' hopes of keeping a loved one alive? That's the subject of my memoir..... Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cost-Hope-A...

First of all, we should have an established menu of services and tests with standard costs. Maybe it sould be posted in the doctors office or on websites.The public (and even the doctors) have no concept of what anything costs. As you pointed out in your book, the cost range is incredible. WHY? Because no one asks that question. The right wing opinion is that we must have free market "competition" for healthcare. But there is no other industry i can think of that competes for consumers who have no idea what the cost of the competing products are. There is
someone behind the curtain who knows all and it's not the wizard of oz. It's the insurance wizards. It's no wonder that about half of the highest paid
CEOs in the nation are insurance guys (the others are entertainment moguls----which tells you something right there). The insurance industry
doesn't want us to know about what things cost because then they lose
control. And they control it all; the consumers, the hospitals,the docs and
the employers. Then the providers game the system because they know they will take a "loss" depending on what their insurance contracts will reimburse).
As with anything else, education is the answer. The public needs to be active in their healthcare choices and armed with knowledge about costs
and alternatives The web is helping with this and doctors hate it and roll
their eyes in a condescending manner when you ask them too many
questions. BUT until we challenge their authority and the power of the
insurance companies to control it all the song will remain the same. I
always think it's funny when people against "government healthcare" say
they don't want anyone to come between "me and my doctor.". Every
healthcare transaction in this country has an unseen puppeteer pulling all
the strings in the middle and on both sides of the patient and his doctor. But most of us don't have to pay for the show so we let them pull our
strings all day. It's just easier that way. It's time to cut the string. Sorry for all the mixed metaphors.