Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > weird one: adding something new to my feed knocks off a very recent update vs. the 10th to the last

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments The topic says it. Just tonight I noticed that when add something new to my feed (a review, a to-read book, a book recommendation, etc.) what gets knocked off my feed is not the 10th to the last update, but the most recent update or an update that's only a couple updates old. I've never noticed this happening before but it's something I could have easily missed so I don't know for sure if it's a new issue or not.

If Goodreads can figure it out and fix it that would be terrific, and I'd at least be curious as to why this might happen. Thanks.

message 2: by jenjn79 (last edited Jan 07, 2009 10:15PM) (new)

jenjn79 | 521 comments I've had this happen a bunch of times. I'll notice after doing some updates that a review disappeared from the middle of my feed, or a status update I did earlier in the day disappears when I add a new one.

It seems to be a sporadic thing that happens.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Isis,

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I think I could have missed this. Tonight I noticed a very recent review was knocked off so I added it back and then one of the two book recommendations I'd made was knocked off, and I realize right before those two a book added to my to-read feed got deleted, probably when I added the review.

I guess this isn't a huge deal but maybe I'll keep a closer eye on my "last" 10 updates to my feed.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) we don't keep your last 10 updates exactly, we keep some types and delete others, however theres no special cap on book updates, so you can have up to 10 reviews in your feed, but only 5 comments... and only one comment per topic...

Its a bit messy, and a bit confusing.

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Jan 08, 2009 05:39PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Ah. Thanks for that explanation Michael. I did not know that.

Edit: Well, except one of my last or last two or three updates was a book review and it did get knocked off. So, it seems there might have been a bit of a glitch there. ???

message 6: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 521 comments Whenever I've noticed it happen, it's been a review that's disappeared. The most recent was 2 or three days ago. It was there in the middle of my past updates, then it was gone.

Though I can't say for sure...I might have had 2 comments about that review go to my feed when it disappeared.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments MICHAEL, Ok, I do notice this happening and while I understand why Goodreads does this (avoiding feeds with nothing but quotes added, or nothing but personal comments) I want to cast a vote for leaving the last 10 updates. I don't like my reviews (yes, they do get knocked off the feed) or my votes for others' reviews, or books added, get knocked off my feed. I'm just one member, but I'm stating my preference. I have no idea whether or not anyone else cares or whether Goodreads would reconsider, but it's how I feel. Funny I'd never noticed this before, but I guess I'm not spending most of my time here checking my own profile. Thanks for listening.

message 8: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Thanks for the feedback Lisa! The current system has worked well, but as you mentioned, can certainly be improved. Ideally we'd allow members to edit their defaults on how many of each type of item can be added - Facebook used to do this (they still may?).

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Ideally we'd allow members to edit their defaults on how many of each type of item can be added

Otis, That would be great. But, even the way it is now is ok; I just hadn't noticed before that items were not always being knocked off as they became the 11th oldest thing on the feed. Now that I know I can check during the rare times I would care about something getting knocked off earlier than expected.

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5101 comments I've never noticed this happening, but I'd still like to second your vote for chronological deletions. :)

message 11: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl This has probably been brought up before, but I'd love to be able to "delete" something from my feed. Like if one of my friends posts a new quote, and the quote is 40 lines long - I want to get rid of it. It's taking up space that could be going to more interesting things, and I certainly don't want to look at it for 2 days. (I can't even shrink if from "more" to "less", either.)

Any chance of getting a delete X for any item that comes through the feed?

message 12: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
There is one on your profile.

message 13: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Sorry, I meant on the homepage updates, rather than on my profile.

message 14: by Annalisa (last edited Feb 09, 2010 04:52PM) (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) I concur. On your profile you can select what goes onto your feeds (although you can't deselect quizzes, polls, listopia, that stuff so I constantly have to go back to my profile page and delete those) but you can't select what feeds you get. The new tab is helpful, except the things I want to delete (quotes, quizzes, group comments) aren't on that list. I want reviews, books, statuses, but not the other stuff. It would be nice if the list were more comprehensive. It would also be nice if you select more than one thing instead of one or all. Like say, you could select top friends and people I'm following, which would be another way of filtering your updates.