The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Neal Stephenson kickstarts a sword-fighting video game

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
The sword-fighting research for Mongoliad seems to have inspired Stephenson to launch a sword-fighting video game. He's aiming for high realism (sans real severed limbs) and motion control via "a commercial, third-party, off-the-shelf controller that anyone can buy today" (maybe they're thinking of the Wii remote?), and tying the game's 2 player duels into the universe of the Mongoliad/Foreworld.

Stephenson's CLANG kickstarter project

message 2: by Lepton (last edited Jun 10, 2012 08:46PM) (new)

Lepton | 176 comments I think the problem that will plague this endeavor, if it is funded, is that sword fighting isn't particularly glamorous or remarkable. While an accurate simulation may appeal to the grognards, people would seem to want Metal Gear Rising, Ninja Gaiden, or any other action game that includes a sword rather the sword fighting equivalent of a flight simulator.

At some point, I'd suggest that those who would be most attracted to such a simulation will become dissatisfied with the virtual experience and go straight to wooden swords, which in some respects seems to be exactly what this group of people decided to do for themselves in the first place.

Be that as it may, I'd more inclined to fund the project if I thought it would accommodate dueling and fencing blades. There appears to be an emphasis on two-edge two-handed swords.

message 3: by Space (new)

Space Council (spacecouncil) | 109 comments I love how enthusiastic Neal is AND how realistic he is. The game he ends up making will more than likely ...suck. But hopefully will create some cool tech for somebody like bethesda to pick up and put into the Elder scrolls or somebody else to do whatever with.

Hell, look at Epic games and the Unreal engine. I don't know thier sales figures but I wouldn't be surprised if most of thier revenue was coming from licensing that tech out to other companies.

I'd throw some money at this.. if I had any to begin with.

message 4: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments This seems really odd to me, but exactly the crazy sort of shit I like to see on Kickstarter. Not that I'll be supporting it, but still. I'm happy it's there.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris (mrwednesday) | 23 comments Even though I wouldn't go for something like this, it seems like a positive idea. I agree with Lepton, and would like to further that by saying it would be great if this encourages people to become involved in real-life sword arts.

I know I much prefer my kenjutsu training in real life to any video game I've played (even if I don't look half as cool as some videogame characters).