Small Government Book Fan Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eddie (new)

Eddie Novak (eddien) | 123 comments Mod
Anyone else read him?

I read KILLING FLOOR. It was excellent. Jack Reacher reminded me of Repairman Jack with his under the radar identity issues. It read like a Tom Clancy on a more local scale. The only slightly minor complaint I had was the reliance on coincidence.

As for the author's politics, I couldn't say for sure, but he does avoid the evil-capitalist cliche very nicely in KILLING FLOOR.

message 2: by Marina (new)

Marina Fontaine (marina_fontaine) | 1445 comments Mod
I've been curious about him for a long time, but my understanding was he's just a horror writer. Maybe I'll check him out on the audio book.

message 3: by Eddie (new)

You're thinking of Lincoln Child. Lee writes pure action/thriller/political intrigue. I think you would like Lee.

message 4: by Marina (new)

Duh, you're right. If you think I'll like it, I guess I definitely have to read it now- you've not steered me wrong yet!

message 5: by Marina (new)

Boy did I step into it with Nothing to Lose. Need to wash out my brain with some Vince Flynn or Tom Clancy. Be right back.

message 6: by Eddie (last edited Jul 07, 2012 09:29AM) (new)

Noooooooo!!! I've given you a bad recommendation. I guess it was bound to happen at some point.

Speaking of Tom Clancy, why haven't I read his next book yet? It's been almost two years since I read THE CARDINAL OF THE KREMLIN. Maybe I'm just not excited by the drug war topic of CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER. Tell me he handles the topic well...

message 7: by Marina (new)

LOL you didn't recommend that particular book to me so you're off the hook.

Clear and Present Danger is a very good book. Its main beef is with desk jockeys making decisions that endanger the troops on the ground. The movie version wasn't the same. Plus you meet Chavez in that one.

message 8: by Marina (new)

What are the chances- a couple of days after giving up on a Jack Reacher novel I see a trailer for a Jack Reacher movie starring... Tom Cruise? I only got through 1 of 11 CDs, and even I know it's casting gone horribly wrong. Here's an interesting rant on that and casting in general from a big fan of the series: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-ca...

By the way I disagree about Dwayne Johnson being perfect for the role. Dwayne Johnson was BORN to play Mitch Rapp. I just hope the big shots in Hollywood can see it.

message 9: by Eddie (new)

F. Paul Wilson highly recommends Reacher to fans of Repairman Jack and he was also quite upset about the movie being made.