More than Just a Rating discussion

questions and discussions > burning out? in a hurry?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl, first facilitator (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 615 comments Mod
What do you do if you finish a book and don't have a lot to say about it, or aren't in the mood to write a review, or are rushed?

I really don't want to just set it aside (for more than a day or so) because I know I won't get back to it. And I don't want to skip it altogether. But sometimes it's just another same-old, or there are plenty of good reviews already, or I'm tired.

Then what?

message 2: by TJ (new)

TJ | 12 comments Then you say just exactly what you said to us! :). Sometimes I'm looking for a book but don't have the time to read the longer reviews so I really appreciate one that shortly and succinctly says, "this was just the same old-same old, nice but nothing to rave about" or something of the sort.

A few sentence are refreshing sometimes!

message 3: by Cheryl, first facilitator (last edited Jun 10, 2012 01:14PM) (new)

Ok, I can do that! tx TJ :)

Anybody else; any other ideas?

message 4: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) I get this way sometimes, where I'm not 'feeling' the review, and usually I'll just put it off for a few days, but my deal is, I am absolutely not allowed to start a new book until I get that review written, even if it's just a couple of sentences stating what I did or didn't like most about the book. The longest I've gone between finishing a book and doing the review is 2 weeks, and then I had to go and keep flipping back through the book, trying to remind myself what I liked about the book or any points I wanted to bring up. Typically the urge to get reading again pushes me to get the review written so I can move on to my next read :)

message 5: by Cheryl, first facilitator (new)

Kit★, I like that idea. I don't think I'm strong enough to implement it, but I like it!

More please? Don't be shy, folks!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 58 comments I will put off my review for a day or so to let my review stew.

message 7: by Cheryl, first facilitator (new)

That's probably good advice, thanks. :)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) What do I do if I finish a book and don't have a lot to say about it?

I just don't say a lot about it. (if anyone has read my "short reviews" you can snicker at that without offending me, I know I'm "verbose."

I think the idea of "Burnout" is more likely an issue. Burnout doesn't come because you got tired of reading books. It doesn't come because you don't want to write a review, or because you got tired of writing reviews.

Burnout comes because your Daughter has dance Recital two counties away at the same time your Son has soccer practice two counties the other direction. Burnout comes when you find out the snitch in your office group (there's one in every group) has decided that you are now the problem and you start hearing things that were voiced to your boss as problems about you. Burnout comes because you just washed a load of clothes and your wife wants to know...

"Where did all these new clothes for the Domestic Barbie come from?" .

that's what causes burnout.

I'd say if you feel guilty for not saying as much on a book or read as you thought it deserved and you are having trouble finding the energy and time to write something (or maybe not guilty but, just think you could have done more or a better job) then I'd take time off of Goodreads, and take your kids to soccer... so your wife can take your daughter to dance. Maybe pull out your old job evaluations and-or go talk with your supervisor about how your doing at work (they usually don't bite) or...look your wife in the eye, sigh heavily and remember those four words your brother taught you that can save a marriage... (well mine taught me on my wedding day, even had me repeat it with him.) After she's said what ever she's said, nod and say "your right, I'm sorry."

(I mean, you did turn the kids new clothes into Matel collectible toys right?)

Then, when your life is back in order (which by no means has to mean "running smoothly") go make time to go back and write that review the way you think it should be written.

If you really don't have much to say about a book...(what else is there... good read, fun, nothing special 3 stars) then find one that you do have something to say and write it.

And yes, this falls into the category of what I call a "Skill".. why a skill? Because you can have any skill you want if your willing to practice it. And, if you don't practice a skill like managing your life crises then, you just can't do it as well.

Life just takes practice to get it where it's managable... nobody I know gets it "right." They just do the right things every now and then... if they practice doing them when they are not needed, so they can do them when they are needed that is.

The little things matter, just do them.

That's my take on things... for what it's worth.... (and boy do I need to practice things a lot more than I have been!)

message 10: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa I absolutely LOVE your post, Curmudgeon! :)

message 11: by The Pirate Ghost (last edited Jun 22, 2012 05:15AM) (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Thank you Nyssa. I try to sound like the wizard gave me a brain last time I was over the rainbow visiting. I was actually hoping to get a heart.

(um.. for the record... you like more than that thing about the wife and the Barbie clothes right?)

message 12: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa LOL! Yes. Good, well articulated, humerous, real-world, encouraging advise.

Barbie was just the icing on the cake. :D

message 13: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) now... now "...if I could be k-inngggg of the forreeeest... not duke, nor earl, not prince..."

(then, I'd likely not be married anymore... hmm.)

(yes, that's another Oz reference. I can't help it. I was Mayor of Munchkin City (in the county of the land of Ozzz) once upon a time (like 1970....) in the Natchitchoes La, Little Theater Production of the Wizard of Oz. It's in my blood.)

message 14: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa Glad to know I'm not the only one who breaks out into random songs or movie quotes..although I would probably die before performing in front of an audience, live or otherwise.

I think I'm still traumatized by my elementary history play where, right after spotting my dad in the audience, I froze, like a Popsicle. Couldn't remember a single thing I was supposed to say. Still don't remember leaving the stage...lol.

message 15: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) Nyssa wrote: "Glad to know I'm not the only one who breaks out into random songs or movie quotes..although I would probably die before performing in front of an audience, live or otherwise.

I think I'm still t..."

Nope, and, I can still remember my lines. And, I'd join you in a rousing chorus of "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead" but, my mother in law just left and... lets just say, I need to sing that one in private for a while... if you know what I mean.

Here's a good poem that reminds me, some, of what I said...or what I said reminds me of this...

may my heart always be open to little... (19)
by E. E. Cummings

may my heart always be open to little
birds who are the secrets of living
whatever they sing is better than to know
and if men should not hear them men are old

may my mind stroll about hungry
and fearless and thirsty and supple
and even if it's sunday may i be wrong
for whenever men are right they are not young

and may myself do nothing usefully
and love yourself so more than truly
there's never been quite such a fool who could fail
pulling all the sky over him with one smile

message 16: by Cheryl, first facilitator (new)

Lovely, all the preceding, thanks.

Hm. I think of writing reviews as a respite from such distractions as you shared. It's when I've had extra time to read, and have read lots of books in a short amount of time, that I feel burnt out specifically on writing reviews.

But I absolutely refuse to take a break on reading or on GR! ;)

I think maybe the key, then, would be to do something different irl between books. For example, go for a walk even if it's rainy, or clean all the way behind the bookcases, or play a game of solitaire with real playing cards... ;)

message 17: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) If I'm really stuck with a review, I just jot all my thoughts down and set it aside for a few days. Then go back and write it properly. Almost always works for me.

message 18: by Cheryl, first facilitator (new)

That makes sense, too. Jot notes so that nothing is forgotten, and then go back when you get a chance.

Right now I'm plowing my way through about a gross of picture books and so not writing full reviews - finding it tough to say anything besides 'delightful' or 'funny' or 'nice try but unsuccessful.' Well, tomorrow I'll be gone all day so maybe just that kind of tiny break will help.

☕️Kimberly   (kimbacaffeinate) I try to write as soon as I am done, not to perfection but just a rough draft or random thoughts, feelings etc, then I go back the next day and it seems to work

message 20: by Cheryl, first facilitator (new)

Tx!