Addicted to YA discussion

The Selection (The Selection, #1)
This topic is about The Selection
Heroines > America Singer (The Selection)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5211 comments Mod
What do you think of her?

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments Don't know her but... America?? Wait is that her name?
On the other hand was this book any good? I noticed you give it 2 stars

message 3: by Erika, Dream Thief (last edited Jun 09, 2012 09:25AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yeah America's her name and that's part of why I couldn't enjoy the book. I kept picturing the country instead of the person so it was a little strange in my head...
I know other people like this book so I guess it just wasn't for me.

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments I feel like if I read it I would picture, like, an American flag in place of her. That's such a weird name choice for a book.

I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover but this cover is really beautiful and that's what compelled me to open the thread in the first place, haha.

message 5: by Erika, Dream Thief (last edited Jun 09, 2012 09:30AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

The cover is why I picked it up in the first place because I was like oh it's so pretty so I need to have it on my bookshelf and it does look nice there but too bad I didn't really like it.

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments haha, I hate it when that happens, half of my bookshelf is pretty and colorful and those books tend to be the ones that are terrible, while books with kind of ugly covers are the good ones... It's so frustrating!!

message 7: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 2 stars

I know! If only it was reversed then we could our cake and eat it too...

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments Exactly!

AlyssaNicole | 278 comments Even though her name was America, I felt like she was a well developed character. The love triangle was what put me off a bit while reading. Do you think she made the right choice by the end of the book? And do you think that there is enough material for another book?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Love this book! Check out my review!
http://thebookfever.wordpress.com/201...

Kylee I agree bout the name but the book is really good but America jump to concusions way way at to fast

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 3463 comments Lol yes, I cannot picture an actual person. I keep picturing the flag. Though I found a lot of the names in this book very well, interesting/ unusual.

gwistmig Didn't like the book, hated her more.

message 14: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Thurlow | 12 comments I love this book and I love America. I think she's a little stubborn and she needs to think about her actions more

message 15: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Jackson | 572 comments Loved the book! And I think that America is pretty stubborn and like you said, Lynda, needs to think before she acts. I think that Maxon is way too lenient with her and I understand where Clarkson is coming from on hating on her.

message 16: by Riya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Riya | 0 comments America's pretty awesome! I thought she was well developed, and I like how she was kinda the underdog in the story since she came from a low caste. It was nice seeing how she wanted to help everyone else too.

Amphitrite (ravenclaweruditedemigodselected) | 9 comments I love the series a lot but America is just so dumb. She spends most of the book all mad about how Maxon doesn't trust her when she was practically cheating on him. I hate when characters keep their secrets I mean how hard is it to pull someone aside and say by the way I am kinda cheating on you with a guard who happened to be my exboyfriend. Thats another thing, she freaking tried to keep her thing with Aspen going after he clearly broke her heart and tried to make her jealous with that other girl I mean excuse me sir you don't catch somebody by the waist like that, lamest excuse ever. I love America and Maxon don't get me wrong but America is dumb and Kriss could probably be a better queen than her because at least she was never confused about her feelings for Maxon and was more trustworthy and her ideas to help the country weren't so bad either.

Krista | 149 comments I agree with what you are saying. Just don't forget that Kris was also apart of the rebellion and was hiding that from Maxon. Not on the same level as cheating, but all of the girls were hiding something.

Emilia (doctorherondale) | 419 comments Everybody's got there secrets, but I do agree that her relationship with Aspen was a little crazy. The heart is a complex thing... On the other hand, I really liked America as a person. Yes, she wasn't perfect and made some very bad decisions, but she was true to herself and I think that's what counts.

Crystal I loved the series but she frustated me so much I wanted to throw my book(of course I didnt i could never) I agree though she kept complaining about Maxon but then she did him wrong too! Ughh

Emilia (doctorherondale) | 419 comments The love triangle was pointless and frustrating! Ugh!!!

Vanessa | 2 comments I like the book, but she was anoying most of the time I don't know how Maxon could be so patience with her and end up marrying her

Sarah | 127 comments I personally think the name is cool. The first three books are the colors of the American flag. But she has a strong-headed personality, but I liked and hated at points. I felt that the love triangle was futile and stupid. (Team Maxon all the way). I feel like her personality is a huge cliché when it comes to female protagonists though, which gets old fast.

message 24: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat | 1553 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "I personally think the name is cool. The first three books are the colors of the American flag. But she has a strong-headed personality, but I liked and hated at points. I felt that the love triang..."
Lol, I didn't know that, you're right! (colours of the book and flag), is it intentional?
The books were ok, I didn't find them or the characters very annoying or whatever, but what I really really really didn't like is how Aspen was all thingy for America and then just jumped to Lucy, with no explanation. I mean I understand he just got tired of loving America when she no longer loved him back and was obviously in love with Maxon, but like what the... And there wasn't many/any obvious hints that Lucy had grown on Aspen and caught his affections. I didn't like that bit. And lol that random plot twist where the father is part of the rebellion and then just dies.

message 25: by Merb (new) - rated it 3 stars

Merb | 2 comments I read the first book in the Selection series recently and I actually really liked America. She was caring and selfless, which are two traits I really admire in a person. She had faults of course, like her stubbornness and sometimes I get a little tired of her whining. But I tend to not like characters as much if they don't have faults, and it also leaves lots of space for character development. I can't wait to see how her character progresses through the series!

Florence | 2 comments During the conviction, I thought it was excellent how America decided to give her bracelet and necklace to the prisoner. It was so unexpected and I loved how the author thought of that.

message 27: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) Has anyone read The Heir yet?

message 28: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat | 1553 comments Mod
Nup. Waiting for it. Everyone reserved it at the library. :'(

Cas ❦ (rowangalathynius) MB wrote: "Nup. Waiting for it. Everyone reserved it at the library. :'("

ikr? Same here.

message 30: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) My library is able to order books from any of like 150 libraries in central Illinois, so I can usually get new books pretty quickly. Saves me a lot of money, that's for sure. Once you guys read it, come back here and give your opinions about what you think of America.

message 31: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna (anna_pbanana) | 3 comments I really like America, mostly because of Aspen and that he made her go into the selection. I was at first mad at her for the love triangle, but I think anyone would do the same thing, look at the bachelor/bachelorette.

message 32: by J (new) - rated it 5 stars

J I honestly think, in a sea of young adult heroines who all sort of seem the same to me (tough girls who don't need to be protected, super amazing at EVERYTHING they do, blah blah baaaaahhhh...), America was a huge breath of fresh air. She was just so lovely, ladylike, and kind. Definitely one of my favorite heroines.

message 33: by J (new) - rated it 5 stars

J Kim wrote: "Has anyone read The Heir yet?"

Yes! It might be my favorite in the series so far!

Katrina♡•• | 491 comments Hated America Singer!She was very childish and even jealous and could not choose until almost the end of book 3

Katrina♡•• | 491 comments I read The Heir and it was good. Gave it 3.5 stars.Eadlyn is totally different and I prefer her to America.

ReadersReligion | 45 comments I loved America! She got really annoying and kinda bitchy at some times, and wouldn't talk about her feelings. But she was a spitfire, who was as sassy as it comes, and a freaking saint. She stood up for herself and had literally no filter. She fully entertained me.

message 37: by Lina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lina | 81 comments I liked her character in the first book she was smart, she knew how to play instruments, she could sing, she was witty, i admired her for that and how she tried to help her family. I loved the relationship between her and Maxon, but i felt she really did change in the second book, i think she became more jeleous and selfish, using both Aspen and Maxon ( half of that it was Maxon's fault, but seriosly using both guys? not cool). I liked that she stood up for herself and her family and friends ( Marlee), that is what i really admired about her,but other than that the books are great.

message 38: by L.C. (new) - rated it 3 stars

L.C. Perry | 700 comments I liked America but I didn't love her. The way she stood up for others and herself was amazing, but she really should have trusted Maxon more and I'm surprised that he put up with her sometimes. I liked Eadlyn more to my surprise.

Sidny (sweetgirlsid) | 28 comments I felt like I liked America in the first and third book but in the second one she made me so cranky. She was just so
indecisive and crabby that I was losing my mind just reading about her. All in all she was an interesting character to read about. To the comments about not being able to read that because it was her name, I totally understand where you're coming from but later on I found it made sense. I did enjoy that the character was stubborn though, as that's a trait I also have... whether that is good or not, I'm not sure.

Staci | 48 comments I liked her but she had her flaws, which made her more real. I think she should have been more understanding of Maxton hanging out with the other girls, after all it was a competition, I think she could have been more understanding. But I like how she stood up for what she believed.

message 41: by Erin (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erin Johnson (erinjohnsonwrites) I thought the cover for The Selection was beautiful, and it was a fun read, but no- I didn't like America. It annoyed me how she was supposed to be poor and often hungry, but also has her own room, house cleaner, TV and they eat popcorn. She just struck me as kind of bratty and judgemental, without having a real understanding of what she really wants or the politics/history of her people.

Alexa (boadicandria) I realy liked America in book one, but I definetly wouldn't call her a heroine. The one thing I tought was most annoying about her was her irrosoluteness. Change your mind once or twice, wonderful, five to six times, ok why not, but change it almost every page! Well, thats a little too much, isn't it?

Cordelia the Ardent Reader J wrote: "Kim wrote: "Has anyone read The Heir yet?"

Yes! It might be my favorite in the series so far!"

I totally agree. I couldn't take her seriously no matter how much I tried.

Alexia (alexiahendrix) | 25 comments I hated her name. Every time a scene between America and Maxon starts to sizzle, Maxon says her name out loud and ruins everything.
And her character was dull also. She spent 3 books being indecisive and selfish and useless.

message 45: by Tessa (new) - added it

Tessa Clark | 81 comments I agree with how her name hindered her character. No matter how amazing the moment was her name never wuite fit in. I actually have a bunch of friends who don't read the books just because when i tell them her name, they think it's stupid. I did however love her connection with Maxon. She could be very one-sided at times, but there were moments where you really saw potential in her character.

Natalie (british-teacup) Wow, she's one of the most indecisive characters I've ever read. Can't say I'm a fan of her, but she did grow a bit.

kenna Ugh, I absolutely hated her. The way she used Aspen yet still fought for Maxon like she wasn't still in love with Aspen ruined her for me.

Delphine Vanlanduyt (ayakarose) | 28 comments I actaully have a mixed feeling bout her. Especially like for god sake make up ur mind. Alright aspen was also like hmmm but she did it after all. Bet on 2 guys is just a no go!!! just make up ur mind and choose.

kenna Delphine wrote: "I actaully have a mixed feeling bout her. Especially like for god sake make up ur mind. Alright aspen was also like hmmm but she did it after all. Bet on 2 guys is just a no go!!! just make up ur m..."

FOR REAL

message 50: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya | 69 comments AlyssaNicole wrote: "Even though her name was America, I felt like she was a well developed character. The love triangle was what put me off a bit while reading. Do you think she made the right choice by the end of the..."

I was Maxon forever. Aspen freaked me out a little, but he stopped when he was with Lucy. I was annoyed at her because she just had to pick! She did grow as a person though, and I enjoyed the rest of the series.